PDA

View Full Version : I'm finding this considerably more scary than the economic situation .

PeterSibley
08-06-2011, 03:38 AM
I'm finding this considerably more scary than the economic situation.
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3285577.htm

The link is to a story on ABC TV about a wheat rust in Kenya that is killing or dramatically reducing the yield of around 90% of the crop.It has quite horrifying potential ,not to balance of payments but to the world food supply as there is nothing to stop the spread of this fungi .

Larks
08-06-2011, 03:44 AM
Likewise Peter, it's a very scary threat that I don't think many people are aware of.

skuthorp
08-06-2011, 04:42 AM
I had heard a little about this some weeks ago, but there's rather too much on around the world for it to get a headline. And anyway publicity may not be what's needed as long as the dept of Ag. has a finger on it.

PeterSibley
08-06-2011, 04:53 AM
The Dept of Ags from a very large number of countries had test plots in Kenya .It's being taken seriously enough by those who know .

Incidentally ,grain research at the Waite Research Institute was my boyhood dream .

skuthorp
08-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Something like this has the capacity to solve the population problem, fast. How good are you at making bread from potato or rice flour?

m2c1Iw
08-06-2011, 05:23 AM
Incidentally ,grain research at the Waite Research Institute was my boyhood dream .

Roseworthy was mine Peter, oh well life on the land was not to be.

skuthorp
08-06-2011, 05:30 AM
And Dookie was mine, interesting eh? I fancied forestry, but considering the corrupted direction the department went in it's probably just as well.

Phillip Allen
08-06-2011, 05:37 AM
"No Blade of Grass"

Mrleft8
08-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Monsanto and Cargill working their genetically modified magic?

skuthorp
08-06-2011, 05:52 AM
Probably not, but such 'research' is undoubtably being promulgated. Maybe someone thought Kenya would make a good laboratory and no one would notice? Maybe the experiment was to successful, but as I said, probably not.

Larks
08-06-2011, 05:54 AM
And Dookie was mine, interesting eh? I fancied forestry, but considering the corrupted direction the department went in it's probably just as well.

Dookie was mine too, but animal husbandry after being talked out of a carpentry apprenticeship by a misguided careers adviser...... until I was accepted for Duntroon and then thoughts of Dookie (and carpentry) unfortunately kind of took a back seat.................

Tylerdurden
08-06-2011, 05:59 AM
One of my good friends does all the food related research. If you guys think the stuff I post can be scary you would spot yourselves over some of his research.

Mrleft8
08-06-2011, 06:02 AM
One of my good friends does all the food related research. If you guys think the stuff I post can be scary you would spot yourselves over some of his research. All what food related research?

purri
08-06-2011, 06:03 AM
I smell a GM rodent...

PeterSibley
08-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Probably not, but such 'research' is undoubtably being promulgated. Maybe someone thought Kenya would make a good laboratory and no one would notice? Maybe the experiment was to successful, but as I said, probably not.

Apparently the great Rift is the ideal place to grow wheat ,there are crops in multiple stages of growth simultaneously .Consequently it's also the ideal place for a fungus that needs those stages of growth to develop .There's always a plant waiting ... unlike the USA ,Russia or even Australia .

skuthorp
08-06-2011, 06:11 AM
I smell a GM rodent...
I wouldn't judge too early, maybe, but if it is a manufactured problem it's quite likely to be a deliberate one.

Tylerdurden
08-06-2011, 06:11 AM
All what food related research?

I have made mention of it here over the years. If you want to control a population, especially a armed one you need to control food. Just as media is completely controlled by a handful of corps so is our food supply. Pick any direction in the food chain and start running it to ground. It all leads to the same groups and governing bodies. Just for Giggles go down the Monsanto Path or ADM. You will poop bricks soon enough.

seanz
08-06-2011, 06:17 AM
That, and the covert dispersal of sub-standard boot laces.

seanz
08-06-2011, 06:20 AM
I'm finding this considerably more scary than the economic situation.
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3285577.htm

The link is to a story on ABC TV about a wheat rust in Kenya that is killing or dramatically reducing the yield of around 90% of the crop.It has quite horrifying potential ,not to balance of payments but to the world food supply as there is nothing to stop the spread of this fungi .

Awww.....stuff it.....is this the third time this week we've been doomed? I'm just going to stop reading the news.

Not that I take any of this seriously. It's not a credible threat to life-on-Earth until Bruce Willis shows up.

Phillip Allen
08-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Awww.....stuff it.....is this the third time this week we've been doomed? I'm just going to stop reading the news.

Not that I take any of this seriously. It's not a credible threat to life-on-Earth until Bruce Willis shows up.

sickum!

Mrleft8
08-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Well... Ortho (Chevron), ADM, Monsanto, Cargill, et al have certainly had their part in wiping out pollinators, and creating sterile crops in places where the people are entirely dependant...
I'm a seed saver, but saving seeds only gets you so far before they revert back to some antediluvian strain that has next to no yield, or tastes like dirt...

Tylerdurden
08-06-2011, 06:23 AM

If one is not upset or even concerned one is pretty much either brain dead or soulless. You pick.

seanz
08-06-2011, 06:32 AM
If one is not upset or even concerned one is pretty much either brain dead or soulless. You pick.

I pick 'pretty'.
:D