PDA

View Full Version : Destination Bangor, Maine

ishmael
08-01-2011, 03:21 AM
I was listening to the radio the other day and the Roger Williams song came on with that lyric. I looked around and felt blessed.

Bangor is the head of tide on a large river, the Penobscot. You could moor an ocean liner in here, though it would be a bit of a squeeze. The reason the community formed here is because of lumber. White pine was coming out of the North woods headed for the East coast markets of New York and Philadelphia.

On the down side, the winter can be harsh and long. There's probably a ballad or two about the winter.

AussieBarney
08-01-2011, 03:56 AM
Love the song and the place is on the LIST

ishmael
08-01-2011, 04:32 AM
No phone, no pool no pets, I ain't got no cigarettes.

Willin'
08-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Roger Miller!

And every handout in every town

And every lock that ain't locked when no one's around

S.V. Airlie
08-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Ish. When I left college in Orono, there was a lot of debate about removing the dam above Bangor. Was it removed? Did they, the state, put in fish ladders or did they figure it was best to leave it in due to the wood chips on the river bottom being more of a hazard to the environment to remove the dam?

ishmael
08-01-2011, 09:52 AM
I think the dam is still there, Jamie. It seems a perennial topic, but I'm not sure so don't quote me.

There has been a trickle of Atlantic salmon coming back, which is a hopeful sign. If that dam is still there I'm not sure where they are breeding. Little rivulets, I guess.

P.S. Thanks for the correction, Willin', Miller not Williams. A great song.

S.V. Airlie
08-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Just wondering Ish.

bobbys
08-01-2011, 10:46 AM
One of the songs i can play on the guitar but have not learned the bass line.

S.V. Airlie
08-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Try the bagpipes. The "grace notes" are murder. To heck with the guitar.