View Full Version : mildew killing gas. Safe for wood boats?
07-28-2011, 07:33 PM
having cleaned most of the accessible mildew off of and out of our boat we have been trying to figure out how to get to the less accessible areas like behind the ceilings etc.
I came across this and similar products at WM and was wondering if it would be safe for wood boats.
Here is a link to the product: Mildew killing stuff (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=752480&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10114&subdeptNum=10699&classNum=10701)
07-28-2011, 07:50 PM
I use that stuff in my crawlspace and haven't noticed any bad effects on the 60 year old doug fir joistsKevi
or pine subfloor above.
07-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Bleach won't do it? Bleach and a circulation fan might be safer....
07-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Bleach would do it. but getting the bleach there (without getting it everywhere) is the problem.
07-29-2011, 05:30 AM
This post has made my day! I've been trying to come up with a way to get the mildew out of all the inaccessable areas in my boat without hiring a professional mold removal company and hope this will do it. I'll order some from West Marine today and let you all know how it works soon.
07-29-2011, 06:59 AM
The product uses chlorine dioxide at it's active ingredient, which will certainly do the job. If used occasionally it will not harm the boat or it's contents. Not good to breath though, which is why it stats that you shouldn't be in the boat during treatment. Unlike chlorine gas which will stay around for quite a while if it has nothing to react with, chlorine dioxide does it thing and quickly goes away. I used it as part of a DARPA program to eliminate anthrax from government buildings some years back. The other option would be one of those little ozone generators.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.