Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MetrognomeH28
    • Jul 2011

Why the Hull not?

Recently adopted 50 year old H28. Hasn't seen water in 20 years. Day 1 of a lifetime of work, not expecting miracles but will need much advice of where to start, great resources, and misc. support along the way. I hope this forum will assist.
    More pictures to follow.
    Initial unveiling here.
  • Duncan Gibbs
    Ninety percent sandpaper
    • Oct 2007

Re: Why the Hull not?

This is going to be good!

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Comment

• Garret
      Hills of Vermont
      • Apr 2005

H28's are certainly worthy vessels. Best of luck & keep us posted! We all like pics.......
      "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• wizbang 13
        • Oct 2009

From the flora n fauna it looks like the PNW.
        She looks well built and lightly used!

Comment

• jerry bark
          • Jul 2007

If you post pictures you will be sure to get all the help you want, and even some that you don't!

That boat looks really good for not having been wet in 20 years. many boats with that history are pretty close to the landfill.

the H28 is a great design and as mentioned well worth your time and effort.

best wishes for a successful endeavour,
          Jerry

Comment

• Woxbox
            • Feb 2006

Start with a detailed survey, and lots of photos. Tap it all over with a hammer and poke an awl into anything that doesn't sound solid. Your worst enemy will be rainwater that found its way into the bilges or collected elsewhere to cause rot.

I worked on one of these (I didn't own it) several years ago. As has been said, it's a very nice design and worth the effort to bring back. They are a real pleasure to sail, too. Others on the forum do or have owned these boats. Many thousands were built over a long period. Good luck with the project -- it will be an adventure.
            -Dave

Comment

• Larks
              Larks
              • Jul 2007

Fantastic!!!!! Looks like she's built to the original design too, even down to the green antifoul. I'm looking forward to seeing more and hearing more, do you know much about her history? Does she have a name??

Welcome to the elite group of H28 owners here, there are a few on this forum so blessed and we can only pity the rest of those here for not knowing such pleasure!!

But please post some more pictures.

I love the bell!

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
              “It’s risky”, said experience.
              “It’s pointless”, said reason.
              “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• MetrognomeH28
                • Jul 2011

She is in pretty good shape. Built by Allen Vaitses and bought by my father , we sailed her all around the Elizabeth Islands and Cape Cod. I don't have any sort of enclosure for her so this sneak preview has a short window before the leaves and/or snow starts to fall. I'll post pictures when I can and appreciate the feedback so far. She will be beautiful again.

Her name is West Wind.

Comment

Working...