View Full Version : planking plane

07-26-2011, 02:11 PM
I need a curved sole plane for backing out planks at the turn of the bilge. I was going to try to make one, but my time might be better spend actually working on the boat instead of the tools if I am going to meet my launch schedule. I liked the ones I used at Mystic Seaport, but I don't think they make them any more. Anyone have a source?

07-26-2011, 02:17 PM
A similar thread: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?133559-What-s-best-for-a-backing-out-plane

07-26-2011, 03:35 PM

07-27-2011, 08:57 AM
ES, I accomplish almost all the backing out I need with my favorite Stanley #3, the iron is reground to a generous arc, with this you can pretty quickly achieve up to about a 1/2" of back with out too much trouble. The next tool to reach for is a Stanley Scrub plane, a little more obscure, but if you watch E-Bay or the like they come up. The other way to get this done is the 'Rotary Spoke Shave', ( 4" grinder loaded with 40grit paper...) decidedly low-brow, but works like a charm, never gives that old world craftsmanship look though, but gets it done 'mas rapido'! Cheers, BT

07-27-2011, 11:31 AM
The issue I have with the rotary grinder is that it sure throws a lot of dust around, and is noisy as hell to boot, whilst a backing out plane or spokeshave is neither- though clearly using them the process is longer.

Bob Cleek
07-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Try an old Stanley #70 box scraper. These tools are now in the "buggy whip" category. In the days before corregated cardboard boxes, they were very common. They were used to scrape the addresses and other written shipping information (often painted on) from wooden crates which could then be reused. The blade has a curve which permits the tool's use for backing out plank.


Kuntz makes an in-production knock-off for $43.00.


I know Kuntz is a German outfit, but doesn't anybody there speak English? Do they have any idea they've got a problem with their name?