PDA

View Full Version : Debt talk SNAFU; Boehner bails

Gerarddm
07-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Just saw Obama's press conference.

If this news had broken mid-day on the East coast, the market would have collapsed 300 points.

This is NOT smelling good.

Remember: next election, vote out every Republican, in every office at every level. Be patriotic.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-22-2011, 06:36 PM
It appears that Boehner has decided that he now longer needs to consult with the POTUS in running his form of government. I didn't realize he had this much power to reform the way the US political system works.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Boehner's "merry way" is the way it will go then. All the best.

Tall Boy
07-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Ain't elections a b**ch........when you lose..........

leikec
07-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Ain't elections a b**ch........when you lose..........

I'm pretty sure the republicans will agree with you in November, 2012.

Jeff C

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-22-2011, 06:58 PM
What amazes me about all of this is the total lack of realization on the part of the American public on how much economic doo-doo the country is in. In my humble outside opinion, the US government needs to cut spending, and raise revenue. It seem unlikely that is going to happen. Even if both parts were addressed, the US has a very long road home, and may never return to the economic supremacy it once held. It's really painful to watch, but Canada's economic forecasts are relatively stable despite our biggest trading partner being in the toilet.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-22-2011, 07:11 PM
This just in: John Boehner just announced he has the same responsibilities as the President. Wow, I thought you guys had one president. Cool, two presidents.

Edited to add: Does this guy actually believe what he's saying? He said that he doesn't want the rich to have their taxes increased, because they create all the jobs. That's an incredible statement.

Tall Boy
07-22-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure the republicans will agree with you in November, 2012.

Jeff C

Hmm, seems I recall hearing a lot of that hooey last October.......but hold that thought.

Paul Pless
07-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Obama is really hamming it up ain't he?Anybody who thinks this theater ends before next weekend is an idiot. .

BrianW
07-22-2011, 07:26 PM
...but Canada's economic forecasts are relatively stable despite our biggest trading partner being in the toilet.

Believe I read that China buys more Canadian stuff now, rather than the USA.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Yep, we have lots of energy and our banks and economy are pretty stable. We'll be fine.

We pay quite a bit more in taxes, but I'm happy with that... look at the results.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Oh absolutely, I think you guys should carry on.
I just wondered about Mr Boehners statements... the last one on the rich creating the jobs in a down economy is patently false, but as I say carry on. Things seem to be going well.

I'm not sure how my relatively benign comments on the situation constitutes "sticking my nose in your business", but suit yourself. You usually do.

pefjr
07-22-2011, 10:03 PM
You dems don't have a heart attack now.......:D just gonna have to cut back some of those free spending ways. You'll get used to it.

wardd
07-22-2011, 10:06 PM
This just in: John Boehner just announced he has the same responsibilities as the President. Wow, I thought you guys had one president. Cool, two presidents.

Edited to add: Does this guy actually believe what he's saying? He said that he doesn't want the rich to have their taxes increased, because they create all the jobs. That's an incredible statement.

they better start creating jobs or boehner has some explaining to do

Garret
07-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I still want to know what corp. is paying Boehner. Or maybe it's another country? This jerk & his buddies should be tried as traitors.

Dutch
07-22-2011, 10:58 PM
I still want to know what corp. is paying Boehner. Or maybe it's another country? This jerk & his buddies should be tried as traitors.

I was thinking the same about obama, pelosi, and reid

wardd
07-22-2011, 10:59 PM
I was thinking the same about obama, pelosi, and reid

for trying to tax the rich?

Gerarddm
07-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Why no, Donn, I don't think Obama was posturing. I though he was calling strikes and balls pretty accurately.

The bald fact is that he is willing to compromise, and the Republicans are not. Sic semper gloria mundi.

wardd
07-23-2011, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE=Gerarddm;3061694]Why no, Donn, I don't think Obama was posturing. I though he was calling strikes and balls pretty accurately.

That is because you are a blind man who will foolishly follow anything your "fearless leader" tells you.
If only you could think for yourself. It is too bad you are led around by the nose ring by Barry. The truth is that barry has refused to go along with any cuts in the budget the repubs have tried to get in the package.
Mr Boehner left the meeting becuase " Speaker opts to work only with Senate leaders, saying Obama 'refused to get serious on cutting spending' "
You can try to spin that any way you want but after all the B.S. from Barry , Boehner just could not put up with is double speak and talking out of both sides of his mouth at once any longer.

and you really believe all that?

Vince Brennan
07-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Remember: next election, vote out every Republican, in every office at every level. Be patriotic.

Nope. Here's a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat telling you that NOT all Repugnicans have it wrong, and quite a few Demoflabs DO have it backwards.

Comes the elections, each of us has a job that is even more onerous and time-consuming than usual: find out which of your elected idiots dropped it and stepped on it this time and get rid of them.

As it stands right now, even if they could go back and fix the problem, even if there was a way to just vote the whole mess away and fix the boo-boo with the usual congressional (small "C" intentional) bull****, they have demonstrated a complete disregard for the ordinary voter such as has been rarely seen since Louis XVI's reign.

Not even Tweed would have dared to be so brazen.

(more to follow)

BETTY-B
07-23-2011, 12:50 AM
It's amazing little Boehner was able to get through that press briefing without crying.

Blowtorch
07-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Everybody in Congress wants to say they speak for the american people.

but only 1 in 4 ofr the american people say Congress Speaks for Them.

Something is screwed up. left, right, makes no difference. We need to put a few of them on trail, from each side, and throw some of the B****** in prison with No Appeal,that will straighten out the Rest of them. May be 1 in ten, a Decimation.

Waddie
07-23-2011, 01:16 AM
What's hard for Democrats to stomach is that the Progressive Era of spending is over. That's whats making them so testy.

Both party's have conjoined to spend us into the poor house, and it will take twenty years of belt-tightening to see the light of day. Our kids will even be constrained by the hole dug by the baby boomer generation. We should all be ashamed, Democrat and Republican alike.

The typical Democratic strategy has been to pass the big spending program and then go back and insist on a tax increase on the upper classes and business because the budget won't balance. The ultimate goal has always been as much wealth redistribution as possible, as most of the well to do didn't really earn their money and they're just being greedy.

The Republican strategy has been to fund a huge military and interventionist foreign policy because it's ultimately good for business, but they haven't been willing to put the country on a war footing to pay the bill, because they would lose all support for their adventures. The Republican attitude toward the masses is that they don't deserve redistribution because everyone should be able to take care of themselves, if they weren't so dumb and lazy.

The end result is that we will have a conservative fiscal policy, which means cutting liberal programs, which means that the conservatives have won, regardless of who wins the elections. Even the Democratic led states are making deep cuts.

regards,
Waddie

wardd
07-23-2011, 01:16 AM
It's amazing little Boehner was able to get through that press briefing without crying.
he looked worried if not scared

leikec
07-23-2011, 02:49 AM
Hmm, seems I recall hearing a lot of that hooey last October.......but hold that thought.

You weren't hearing it from me back then. :D

Jeff C

Garret
07-23-2011, 06:54 AM
What's hard for Democrats to stomach is that the Progressive Era of spending is over. That's whats making them so testy.

No, what has many "so testy" is that the Rep's refuse to consider getting rid of the tax cuts. Sorry - but just cutting spending won't cut it. BOTH need to happen.

Both party's have conjoined to spend us into the poor house, and it will take twenty years of belt-tightening to see the light of day. Our kids will even be constrained by the hole dug by the baby boomer generation. We should all be ashamed, Democrat and Republican alike.

True 'nuf

The typical Democratic strategy has been to pass the big spending program and then go back and insist on a tax increase on the upper classes and business because the budget won't balance. The ultimate goal has always been as much wealth redistribution as possible, as most of the well to do didn't really earn their money and they're just being greedy.

?? Taxes "on the upper classes and business" are the lowest they've been in 60 years! The Dems are simply saying they need to go back up some. BTW - "upper classes"? Some prejudice showing here? They are our betters because they have more money?

The Republican strategy has been to fund a huge military and interventionist foreign policy because it's ultimately good for business, but they haven't been willing to put the country on a war footing to pay the bill, because they would lose all support for their adventures. The Republican attitude toward the masses is that they don't deserve redistribution because everyone should be able to take care of themselves, if they weren't so dumb and lazy.

The end result is that we will have a conservative fiscal policy, which means cutting liberal programs, which means that the conservatives have won, regardless of who wins the elections. Even the Democratic led states are making deep cuts.

regards,
Waddie

Conservative fiscal policy is absolutely fine with me - as long as it's conservative with a small "c" (unless starting a sentence;-). This will mean that we live within out means & that the means will be provided by a fairer tax code than we have now. Yes, I know we'll argue about that.

S.V. Airlie
07-23-2011, 09:09 AM
President Obama bypassed the Congress to go into Libya and used NATO as his excuse to do so..I guess that is alright though..The Speaker of the House is wrong for what he is doing but there appears to be a little tit for tat here. *

Gerarddm
07-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Vince, alas it doesn't matter if a few Republicans get it right. Their very existence empowers the Republican caucus, which has been taken over by simpletons to the extent not seen the days of the Know-Nothings. There are, in fact, some very good Republicans. I don't care. They should do the right thing and go Independent and stop enabling the crazies.

TANSTAF1
07-23-2011, 10:29 AM
We had an election. The people voted to cut spending. Hopefully Obama's childish behavior has ticked Boehner off enough that he will have some backbone. He is definitely a weak link.

Fortunately we have a constitution and it grants only the House the power to initiate spending. I know Zero thinks he has the power, but someone finally told him no he does not. He had a temper tantrum just like a little child.

I am not sure why he didn't walk earlier: #1.1 trillion in new taxes, $2.4 billion in spending via the debt ceiling hike versus a minicule $100 billion per year cut in spending over 10 years, nine of which won't happen unless Obama loses re-election. This deal was so ridiculous it was a waste of Boehner's time.

S.V. Airlie
07-23-2011, 10:40 AM
And in two years, what we are spending currently the issue of a debt ceiling will come up again because the Dems have not stopped spending as we speak..Fine..Raise it...In 2 yrs, raise it again. In 4 yrs raise it again..No problem...

wardd
07-23-2011, 10:53 AM
We had an election. The people voted to cut spending. Hopefully Obama's childish behavior has ticked Boehner off enough that he will have some backbone. He is definitely a weak link.

Fortunately we have a constitution and it grants only the House the power to initiate spending. I know Zero thinks he has the power, but someone finally told him no he does not. He had a temper tantrum just like a little child.

I am not sure why he didn't walk earlier: #1.1 trillion in new taxes, $2.4 billion in spending via the debt ceiling hike versus a minicule $100 billion per year cut in spending over 10 years, nine of which won't happen unless Obama loses re-election. This deal was so ridiculous it was a waste of Boehner's time.

then why do the republicans keep whining for a budget from obama?

wardd
07-23-2011, 10:55 AM
And in two years, what we are spending currently the issue of a debt ceiling will come up again because the Dems have not stopped spending as we speak..Fine..Raise it...In 2 yrs, raise it again. In 4 yrs raise it again..No problem...

right now the dems can't spend a dime, the borgs are in charge

S.V. Airlie
07-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Good.

wardd
07-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Good.

then i take it you didn't put much thought into your last post

TANSTAF1
07-23-2011, 11:05 AM
The Tea Party did not vote for the current spending. Yes, the Republicans under Bush did way overspend and was one reason they were voted out, but their increase in the debt pales in comparison to the $5 trillion under Pelosi and the almost $4 trillion under the Messiah when the Democrats controlled the purse strings in both branches. Hopefully in the next election or two we can get rid of McConnell and Boehner and replace them with true conservatives who will bring even better fiscal sanity to this mess.

wardd
07-23-2011, 11:09 AM
The Tea Party did not vote for the current spending. Yes, the Republicans under Bush did way overspend and was one reason they were voted out, but their increase in the debt pales in comparison to the $5 trillion under Pelosi and the almost $4 trillion under the Messiah when the Democrats controlled the purse strings in both branches. Hopefully in the next election or two we can get rid of McConnell and Boehner and replace them with true conservatives who will bring even better fiscal sanity to this mess.

the t party reps joined the institution and took on the obligations of the institution

if you sue ford for injuries from a defective car, your suit is not dismissed because top management changes, you are suing the institution of ford not the ceo

same with congress, congress acts not the individual members

S.V. Airlie
07-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Anyone smell anything? Smells like a skunk!

Tylerdurden
07-23-2011, 11:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zeTMyNs5aA&feature=player_embedded

TANSTAF1
07-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Jamie,

Thank you for your succinct and thoughful remarks.

TANSTAF1
07-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Tyler,

Great vid. Thanks!

Tylerdurden
07-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Tyler,

Great vid. Thanks!

Mainstream media would not accept that commercail for play. Penis pumps and breast augmentation ok though. It's so Nice in Normans world.

wardd
07-23-2011, 11:18 AM
an amusing cartoon, but as realistic as the road runner

TANSTAF1
07-23-2011, 11:21 AM
I guess we didn't watch the same thing then. What I watched wasn't a cartoon, but rather real people (actors) and it was realistic as h3ll.

S.V. Airlie
07-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Obama plays the coyote I suspect...