PDA

View Full Version : HR Bill 1505 allows for DHS takeover of seashores and coastal areas

Tylerdurden
07-20-2011, 05:01 PM
A new house bill wants to allow the Department of Homeland Security to have jurisdiction (http://www.wickedlocal.com/capecod/visitor_guide/cape_cod_national_seashore/x593341642/Bill-proposes-Homeland-Security-takeover-of-National-Seashore-coastal-locations#axzz1SBTYh1gC) over all federal lands on national seashores and coastal areas.

HR Bill 1505, the “National Security and Federal Lands Protection Act,” would force the Secretary of the Interior to cede authority of coastal public lands, as well as lands located along the borders of Canada and Mexico, to the Secretary of Homeland Security when the latter sees fit. It would give the Dept. of Homeland Security the ability to construct roads and fences, deploy patrol vehicles and set up “monitoring equipment” in the National Seashore with impunity. And it would waive the need for the Dept. of Homeland Security to comply with environmental laws in areas within 100 miles of a coastline or international border.
The laws from which the Dept. of Homeland Security would be exempt include the National Environmental Policy Act, the Endangered Species Act, the National Historic Preservation Act, the Clean Air Act, the Coastal Zone Management Act, the Federal Water Pollution Control Act, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act and virtually every other piece of environmental legislation passed by Congress.
The bill is not without opposition. Congressman William Keating , who also sits on the House committee for Homeland Security, is concerned about the language in the bill as it appears to allow for outright destruction of parts of the United States as long as the DHS claims that there is some sort of security risk. There are also massive environmental and legislative problems to be taken into consideration as well.

…the proposed legislation would give unprecedented authority to a single federal agency to destroy wildlife habitat and wetlands, impair downstream water quality and restrict activities such as hunting, fishing and grazing. It would leave Congress and the public without a voice, even though at stake are hundreds of popular destinations,” including Glacier National Park, the Great Lakes, the California coastline and Cape Cod, said Jane Danowitz, director of U.S. public lands for the Pew Environment Group.
Areas in which environmental laws would be waived under the proposed law include the entire border of Alaska, most of Puerto Rico, all of Hawaii and all of Florida. Other national parks that be would affected include Olympic National Park and Mt. Rainer National Park in Washington, Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, Big Bend National Park in Texas, Acadia National Park in Maine and Cape Hatteras National Seashore in North Carolina.
This is far too sweeping legislation. It essentially allows the DHS to do whatever it wants, including destroying habitats and coastlines, all in the name of security. There would be no oversight and no recourse for anyone or anything in the affected areas.
When is this overreaching of government going to be enough? Would you like to visit any of the places named above if they were swarming with armed military, checkpoints, and “random” stops, especially if you had no recourse to complain about them? What are the “other purposes” in this bill and just how far will it be stretched to fit the mission of the DHS as it changes day to day? We need to stop this bill while it’s still in committee. Once it becomes a law, these former parks and seashores will no longer be a place for a family to enjoy a weekend together. It will be a militarized border, questionable to no one.
http://theintelhubradio.com/2011/07/20/hr-bill-1505-allows-for-dhs-takeover-of-seashores-and-coastal-areas/

Tylerdurden
07-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Can't wait. Now it's only a matter of time when you can be searched and groped during a sail. :)

skuthorp
07-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Can't wait. Now it's only a matter of time when you can be searched and groped during a sail. :)

Nope, they'll just forbid all boating traffic offshore. Doesn't sound a good idea at this reading. As I have said before, OBL is still winning aided and abetted by power hungry paranoids redolent of the McCarthy era.

switters
07-20-2011, 05:35 PM
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.1505:

the bill text. Wow, I cannot believe the treehuggers have not come unglued at this one. I'm off to warn them.

I looked to see how many sponsors the bill has, 41. It could get out of committee for a vote with that many.

Tylerdurden
07-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Did anyone really think the power grab would stop?

Phillip Allen
07-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Did anyone really think the power grab would stop?
yes. just as soon as we elect Obama

you may thank the useful idiots

Glen Longino
07-20-2011, 06:03 PM

Although you're not a useful idiot, thank you for being a useless idiot!
And a whiiiiiiiiner!

Tylerdurden
07-20-2011, 06:04 PM

Phillip, I don't believe for a New York second that any of this would slow down no matter who was in office. Presidents are selected not elected. Maybe that's the next great revelation for the masses. Kinda hope so.

Garret
07-21-2011, 06:27 AM
Mark - I realize you see no diff. between the parties, but I find it interesting that every sponsor is a Rep & most of them TP Reps. How these "morans" can claim they want to keep gov't out of our lives & then pull shenanigans like this is beyond me. Of course the people who back 'em are even dumber.

Thanks for pointing the bill out.

Tylerdurden
07-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Mark - I realize you see no diff. between the parties, but I find it interesting that every sponsor is a Rep & most of them TP Reps. How these "morans" can claim they want to keep gov't out of our lives & then pull shenanigans like this is beyond me. Of course the people who back 'em are even dumber.

Thanks for pointing the bill out.

It all changes as it moves out of committee and is voted on. Then it will be bipartisan like every other piece of draconian legislation we have been confronted with.
Believe me I get as big a laugh out of republicans thinking their party has a lock on liberty and financial freedom. Fools are on both sides therefore both sides are working together to distract the masses from the reality that's coming. It is not about right or left anymore but instead its about the people against the power of the state. Until we understand this there is no chance of changing anything. We can argue about approaches and flavors after we have eliminated the corruption of power that has us under control.

hanleyclifford
07-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Now is the time to prepare your children for a promising career in the Heimatsicherheitdiensdt.

Garret
07-21-2011, 07:14 AM
But these are all right-of-right Republicans. I thought that was the way you leaned? Or have I misunderstood?

Mr. BISHOP of Utah (for himself, Mr. KING of New York, Mr. HASTINGS of Washington, Mr. SMITH of Texas, and Mr. CARTER) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Natural Resources, and in addition to the Committees on Agriculture and Homeland Security, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

Tylerdurden
07-21-2011, 07:29 AM
But these are all right-of-right Republicans. I thought that was the way you leaned? Or have I misunderstood?

That's the point, we are so busy hanging labels on everyone we miss ideas.

I am a Constitutionalist. That doesn't fit into either party.

SMARTINSEN
07-21-2011, 07:30 AM
This bill--despicable--needs to clear at least two more committees in the House. Then it is on to the Senate where prospects are likely less sanguine. Then the President would have to sign it--he just might considering his embrace of the Patriot Act.:mad:

Too much to happen, this session is almost half over, and the remainder will be focused on re-election. I do not foresee that this will become law during this Congress.

Tylerdurden
07-21-2011, 07:36 AM
This bill--despicable--needs to clear at least two more committees in the House. Then it is on to the Senate where prospects are likely less sanguine. Then he President would have to sign it--he just might considering his embrace of the Patriot Act.

Too much to happen, this session is almost half over, and the remainder will be focused on re-election. I do not foresee that this will become law during this Congress.

No one foresaw the Anti-terrorism crime bill but it came right off the shelf in three days after OKC. Then the Patriot acts 1 and 2 also sitting on the shelf and poof they are here. Its pretty obvious someone would post the inevitable "I do not Foresee" to this thread. :) I don't think the waiter doing place settings at windows on the world foresaw seeing a 757 barreling at his arse either. Nothing to worry about folks, go about your business because Smartinsen does not foresee! :)

hanleyclifford
07-21-2011, 08:26 AM
In a perverse sort of way you have to give the establishment credit for seeing what is coming and taking measures to (they think) keep the peasants under control. Meanwhile they keep us squabbling left/right, Rep/ Dem, liberal/conservative...

Garret
07-21-2011, 08:55 AM
In a perverse sort of way you have to give the establishment credit for seeing what is coming and taking measures to (they think) keep the peasants under control. Meanwhile they keep us squabbling left/right, Rep/ Dem, liberal/conservative...

Now that is perverse! ;)

Tall Boy
07-21-2011, 09:14 AM

Good point, I see the people like a bunch of pigeons bopping around the tables at a taco stand after the politicians have had lunch.....hopeing the seagulls don't show up.