PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Junks

wandiwise
11-12-2000, 02:08 PM
From time to time enquiries have been made in this forum about Chinese Junks.

Tom Colvin, N.A., is quite knowledgeable in this regard, and now has his own website.
www.thomasecolvin.com (http://www.thomasecolvin.com)

His site is broken down into many categories, but junks are shown and discussed in their own category. I personally have no interest in Junks, but still found it interesting.

Please understand that I'm not advertising Tom's work and have no financial interest. However, I've known him for many years and have one of his designs which I hope to commence construction of soon.

A very interesting site, and a lot of his work is wood.

Enjoy.

jake
12-31-2000, 10:37 AM
Hi Wanda
thats an interesting site, thanks.

which design are you planning?
jake

wandiwise
12-31-2000, 10:48 AM
Jake:

My plans are for a 28' double end troller type, diesel power, originally designed by Tom for his own use, to be built of metal, and redrawn for me for strip planking or plywood. A small pilothouse aft of center is shown on my version, but several variations are provided.

jake
12-31-2000, 11:09 PM
Hi Wanda
I am still searching for something for a liveaboard.

I have several of George Buehlers books and he has some good ideas. I like the idea of the double enders, also their looks, will probably use a small inboard, and am looking at a bunch of types. Hoping for more sailing then motoring.

It will be double ended, clinker built, and able to handle heavy seas. I am adding things I want in order to eliminate others as it seems easier. I'm down to around 3 million plans to look at yet already.

wandiwise
01-01-2001, 03:41 PM
I can identify with all those plans, etc. Most of us have been through that phase. As a designer friend once said, many years ago, that when he designs and builds himself a boat he is already designing in his head the next one before this one is finished.

And, it's WANDI NOT wanda! I'll 'splain. When first on the forum I had a forum title, as everyone does, and one day the forum dumped me, title and all, and refushed to reset it. So, I had to come up with a new moniker, so to speak. Foolishly I did it by taking my first initial, adding 'and' and then my wife's first initial, followed by our last name. Thus, W for Walter, and then I for Ida. In other words, Walter and Ida Wise became WandIwise. Now I'm stuck with it. But, that's bad enough, so please - pretty please - don't make it Wanda!

With the rough water requirement and lap strake, it sounds like you want to go with traditional construction techniques. I say that, as Devlin has some very interesting designs of stitch and glue motor sailers, double ended with small pilot houses near the stern, in the 25 foot and up range. I planned on going that route myself until I realized I dislike epoxy to the point that I had to forget that type construction.

Lots of luck with your project.

jake
01-01-2001, 08:55 PM
oops, sorry bout that !

Actually I have a couple plans in mind but looking at others also. I have built a couple river boats, plan a couple larger dorrys this year, and if the interest holds will get the plans of one of them.

I want a cruiser as I have a number of friends way east,Philippines, Malaysia, Oz, and could do some serious island hopping for some years.So, it needs the rough water construction, besides I have two sawmills within 20 miles I can get good white oak from. My nephew has a good planer so its fairly certain it will be lapstrake, and I can beef the frames up and use less ballast I think. We shall see.
Have a great New Year and good luck on your project.