PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Immigrant Denied Lifesaving Health Care...

BrianW
07-12-2011, 01:55 AM
What's wrong with this country these days?

http://tinyurl.com/6c7ttk2
(http://thechronicleherald.ca/Canada/1252698.html)

Whidbey_One
07-12-2011, 04:03 AM
Nothing is wrong with THIS country these days. This story is about Canada, not the US. (Since you are from Alaska, I assume you were referring to the US).

BrianW
07-12-2011, 11:51 AM
This story is about Canada, not the US. (Since you are from Alaska, I assume you were referring to the US).

Nope, I was referring to "this" as in "this country in the story."

Not what I expected from "them." ;)

B_B
07-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Let me get this straight. In order to get medical coverage here one merely must apply for residency status? Once you apply you are considered part of the system, even if your application gets rejected later on?

This woman filed for temporary and permanent residency, purely in order to receive free medical care, but couldn't be bothered to pay the filing fees and so her application was rejected and with it her chance at free medical care.

But it's the country that needs a talking to?

Yer a funny fellow B-Dub.

FWIW, a Residency Permit Application fee is $490, a Temporary Residency Application fee is $200. So for $200 she could've gotten all the medical care and attention she wanted.

S.V. Airlie
07-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Good idea to read the rules and follow them. Canada was right to deny her coverage...Sounds cold but...

George Jung
07-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Perhaps the US could take some pointers from this - unless we enjoy being a magnet for illegal immigration.

A drug rep I know tells a chilling story of his families' personal experience with this. While vacationing in Mexico, his wife (young, very healthy/fit) blows a brain aneurysm, has to have emergency surgery, and is not allowed to be airlifted to the US until they had paid - in full- for her treatment to the tune of $60,000 cash. Upon arriving in California (nearest
qualified facility) she underwent two other surgeries. While recovering, she had an illegal in the bed next to hers - same problem, treatment - who, upon recovery, left the hospital and returned to Mexico - owing nothing. This ladies bills, to date - greater than $1 million (though over half covered by her insurance, once home). The California hospital she was in serves a very large hispanic population, many of them illegal, unable to pay. At an Emergency Med conference I attended, with many foreign docs in attendance, as well as a teaching staff from California, the state of HC in California came up. Lots of expenses, treating an uncovered population unable to pay for anything. They were looking at closing their hospital (LA area), simple finances. Most of the foreign docs thought the US policy insane. Can't provide care if the funding is not there.

BrianW
07-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Perhaps the US could take some pointers from this - unless we enjoy being a magnet for illegal immigration...

Nah, a certainly portion of our population, and that from other countries, are always telling us we need to accept illegal immigration.

Can't know why though.

ljb5
07-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Perhaps the US could take some pointers from this - unless we enjoy being a magnet for illegal immigration.

A lot of it depends on exactly what medical services are needed.

In the US, emergency, life-saving care is given to everyone. Although some people do get away without paying, the service is not "free."

If you just show up at the emergency room, they will send you a bill. If you can't pay, they'll likely negotiate for partial payment or something, but it might end up ruining your credit.

In non-emergency situations, health care is not guaranteed.

Captain Intrepid
07-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Let me get this straight. In order to get medical coverage here one merely must apply for residency status? Once you apply you are considered part of the system, even if your application gets rejected later on?

This woman filed for temporary and permanent residency, purely in order to receive free medical care, but couldn't be bothered to pay the filing fees and so her application was rejected and with it her chance at free medical care.

But it's the country that needs a talking to?

Yer a funny fellow B-Dub.

FWIW, a Residency Permit Application fee is $490, a Temporary Residency Application fee is $200. So for $200 she could've gotten all the medical care and attention she wanted.

Yup. And of course if it was emergency care we wouldn't have even hesitated, let alone asked how she was going to pay.

jack grebe
07-12-2011, 04:34 PM
What makes this different from the millions around the world that
need health care........or the many that die daily from the lack of
it?

nothin to see here folks...............move along..................

BrianW
07-12-2011, 05:43 PM
nothin to see here folks...............move along..................

People dying everywhere... move along... nothing to see.