PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I will be getting better gas mileage for the next few days

cs
07-11-2011, 07:17 PM
at least until the A/C Relay comes in.

The temp on the thermometer hit 102 today and this just happened to be the day my A/C in my car quite working. I hit all of the auto parts store, one couldn't even find the part, one said they didn't have the part but if they did it would be $25 and yet another said they didn't have the part but they could order it and it would be $50.

Ended up ordering the part from Parts Geek and with S&H it was $27.

So I guess until it gets here my gas mileage is going to improve. :d |:(

Chad

LeeG
07-12-2011, 11:53 AM
put a small cooler in the front seat with ice and a small towel to wet and drape around your neck. My '84 Dodge van didn't have air conditioning so I usually drove around with a couple blocks of ice in a super insulated cooler with hand towels for the kids to keep cool.

Bob Adams
07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Maybe not. Tests have show driving with the AC on to IMPROVE mileage in many cases. This is due to better areodynamics with the windows up.

cs
07-12-2011, 02:04 PM
I know that it was hot yesterday on the way home I bet it will be hot today on the way home. Maybe I've just gotten spoiled to haveing a/c.

But than again I heard them talking on the news this morning about how half of the US was in extreme heat warnings.

Chad

BrianW
07-12-2011, 03:57 PM
It seems to me that at some point, cars began to be designed specifically for A/C.

Today's cars just don't seem to have enough vents to allow for a good airflow.

Yep, wing windows and side panel vents, rock.

delecta
07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Every dawn on you to go to the dealer and get the relay? Not sure if this is a factory system or not but I think I could wire up a relay to work in that heat.

Don't worry, I was on the roof all day and i was sweating with you :)

cs
07-12-2011, 04:28 PM
I thought about the dealer, but than again ordering it online was right in line with the price at Pep Boys and you know the dealer is going to be higher and no guarantee that they will have it in stock. I can expect the relay in a couple of days and I can move on from there.

In the meantime I will just have to deal with the heat.

Chad

BrianW
07-12-2011, 05:50 PM
In the meantime I will just have to deal with the heat.

Chad

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/stuff/4687d1299049256-protective-summer-riding-gear-200844131237_cooper8_naked_bike_jpg.jpg

cs
07-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Maybe not. Tests have show driving with the AC on to IMPROVE mileage in many cases. This is due to better areodynamics with the windows up.

I hear what you are saying, but the prove is in the pudding. I checked my gas mileage today when filling up (I do this every time) and my mileage was about 4-5 miles better per gallon.

Chad

BrianW
07-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Did the relay come in?

cs
07-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Yes it did, but after putting it on it still didn't work, so more trouble shooting was in line. Found out that I had a hose with a hole in it and thus my system was empty. I couldn't find the hose anywhere so I went to a local store and they pressed a new hose on the existing fittings ($14) and then I went back and ran a vacuum on it for 30 minutes and then 10 minutes of pressure testing then juiced it up.

It is cooling now but I do think I need a new evaporator.

Chad