PDA

View Full Version : Most influential First Ladies.

S.V. Airlie
07-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Eleanor Roosevelt
Abigail Adams
Edith Wilson for a variety of reasons.
Mary Lincoln for the wrong reasons
Jackie Kennedy
Bett Ford
Hillary Clinton

that's my list

Glen Longino
07-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Michelle Obama
Hillary Clinton
Jackie Kennedy

S.V. Airlie
07-09-2011, 12:20 PM
What's Michelle done.? I agree with the others.

Curtism
07-09-2011, 12:23 PM

Aside from addressing childhood obesity and making a soft target for narrow minded folks?

Tylerdurden
07-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Monica Lewinsky (This message brought to you by the association of cigar manufacturers, "We lobby hard! ")

S.V. Airlie
07-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Considering her position, I don't think she has done much..You can disagree which is fine but...I'd put B. Bush ahead of her if I wanted to extend the list. Compared to the others I listed, she has really done very little.

Tylerdurden
07-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Monica Lewinsky, Brought to you by "StainGaurd"

S.V. Airlie
07-09-2011, 12:27 PM
That's a first lady and a half.

Gerarddm
07-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Mistresses don't count, TylerD.

I'm basically lining up with Airlie here. On a lesser note you might add Nancy Reagan and Rosalynn Carter.

Too soon on Michelle Obama.

Mrleft8
07-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Sigh.... Nacy Reagan? "Just say 'yo' to drugs" Nancy Reagan?

Cuyahoga Chuck
07-09-2011, 05:40 PM
It depends on what you mean by "influential". If what you mean is "having influence on the office of the president" there are three that stand out for the same reason. Their presidential spouses where hampered in carrying out their duties.
The first is President Wilson's second wife, Edith Galt. When Wilson suffered a massive stroke it appears that what came from the Oval Office for the remainder of Wilson's term was generated by Edith Galt. You can't get more influential than that.
Another is Nancy Reagan. She always had a lot of influence on her husband and as old age took it's toll Nancy was right there making certain her man wasn't thrust into situations where his shortcomings would become obvious.
And of course Eleanore Roosevelt who roamed widely because her husband's paralysis restricted his movements. She became his most trusted adviser and her willingness to travel widely and often enabled her to bring back accute judgements about how the country was fairing. Of course, the fact that her husband was president for about 13 years meant that her contributions to presidential governance were monumental. Ms. Roosevelt also had a very long career as an author and journalist that lasted well beyond her husband's death.

S.V. Airlie
07-10-2011, 07:17 AM
I agree with the reasons for including Wilson, Roosevelt, and you have a valid point about Reagan..I think political influence on John Adams is appropriate. The addition of Clinton is obvious as is Kennedy who brought, I'll say, some class to the office of First Lady. Betty Fords coming out of the closet about addiction was also important to thousands of Americans. Mary Todd's influence on her husband was a more negative one including getting the president to go to the theater on April 15th...

Tylerdurden
07-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Mistresses don't count, TylerD.

They do if your getting some. :) Not meant as an attack just fun. I could care less about the first lady's and their counterparts until all the archives are declassified and published. We may find when all is public we had some Elena Ceausescu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elena_Ceausescu) action going on. Till then they all sit on the loo like everyone else. No one gets a free ride.

Keith Wilson
07-10-2011, 07:07 PM
After Edith Galt Wilson due to Woodrow's illness, Eleanor Roosevelt certainly tops the list; head and shoulders above everybody else. She had more time, though. Hillary Clinton has had great influence, but it was really her own career, not so much as First Lady. Being Bills's wife certainly gave her her start, but she ran with it. She's done a surprisingly good job as Secretary of State, a real team player, no grandstanding at all. I didn't expect that.

Glen Longino
07-10-2011, 07:15 PM

I only listed Michelle to annoy you, Jamie!;)