PDA

View Full Version : Blanchard 33

Mike Smith
12-14-2000, 08:40 AM
Looking a buying a blanchard 33 sloop does anyone have any good info on these boats

noquiklos
12-14-2000, 11:01 PM
Just second hand, from talking to a couple of owners.
Fast, weatherly, fairly lightly built, for a woody. Not the finest "yacht" workmanship, more of a production style of boat, (I think I recall someone saying he built 30 some of them.)
Never sailed one myself, but nice looking boats, except for the mix and match portlights.
Roy

Jamie Hascall
12-15-2000, 07:26 PM
There have been a few around for sale over the years, and I looked at one before buying Victoria. Definitely nice boats. The nicest one I know is Aura owned by Ward Fay out of Bellingham. I'd check with the Center for Wooden Boats as they seem to have a great knowledge of the boats around the area. There's a get together of the Ancient Mariners Sailing Society tomorrow night and if I can remember, I'll try to pose the question to the group.

Good luck,
Jamie

noquiklos
12-15-2000, 11:47 PM
Jamie! Saw you on the tube today, talking about that tug that dragged ashore!
Wow! A TV star!
Roy

Jamie Hascall
12-19-2000, 04:10 PM
Oh my! You go down and ask about this old tug and before you know it they've got a camera in your face. I guess I'll have to find a way to see it to know if I have star potential.

Now, back to the subject. I talked to Ward Fay and he said there are a couple in the area that can be saved, but one should not tarry too long. There is another that has been undergoing about a four year renovation in the shed at Seaview East Boatyard and should be in the water in the next few months. He said it will easily replace Aura as the nicest Blanchard 33 around (although probably not for sale). If you'd like information on these boats, drop me a line (click on the little face icon for my e-mail) and I'll put you in touch with Ward. He also agreed that the Center for Wooden Boats should have some good info.

Good luck,

Jamie