PDA

View Full Version : I like mowing

Joe (SoCal)
06-27-2011, 11:00 AM
I find it therapeutic almost zen like, and what can beat the smell of fresh cut grass and the feeling between your toes.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/f5e4da3e.png

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/c1662b08.png

LeeG
06-27-2011, 11:04 AM
also satisfying is turning a little lawn into a garden. I do appreciate the feeling of grooming the grounds. reminds me to trim my beard.

Paul Pless
06-27-2011, 11:05 AM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/c1662b08.pngYour really coming around on the tractor thing aren't you? I'm proud of you dude, they're a lot of fun, not really like work at all, and proof that most men are just overgrown boys. . .

Hunky Dory
06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
I was going to congratulate you for the non self propelled mower till I saw the second pic.

ccmanuals
06-27-2011, 12:10 PM
You always mow in a dress shirt?

Canoeyawl
06-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Your really coming around on the tractor thing aren't you? I'm proud of you dude, they're a lot of fun, not really like work at all, and proof that most men are just overgrown boys. . .

OH, I don't know about that, tractors get old very quickly. I have about twenty of them and they are nothing but work. I can't wait to get away from them.
But those little things you guys are calling tractors are really just lawnmowers. Ours are for moving dirt, lots of dirt.

Paul Pless
06-27-2011, 12:55 PM
OH, I don't know about that, tractors get old very quickly. I have about twenty of them and they are nothing but work. I can't wait to get away from them.
But those little things you guys are calling tractors are really just lawnmowers. Ours are for moving dirt, lots of dirt.Jake, I call what you're referring to as 'earth movers'. Yeah I can see where they might be tiresome after a bit. Although I must say I've operated both an excavator and a dozer a few times and I found them fun.:D

Dutch
06-27-2011, 01:09 PM
I notice that only bald people seem to like cutting the grass - why is that?

Tom Montgomery
06-27-2011, 01:13 PM
I like watching my neighbors mow.

I get to enjoy the smell of freshly mown grass and the feel of the grass blades between my toes while encouraging them in their labor.

I've even been known to help them to rehydrate by offering them a beer.

Dutch
06-27-2011, 01:23 PM
beer dehydrates you

bobbys
06-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Joe you mowed a face into the lawn, Were you aware of this.:D

http://www.clevelandleader.com/files/palinmaze.jpg

bamamick
06-27-2011, 02:09 PM
For the first time in my life I am paying someone to cut my grass. Not all of it, mind you, but about 90% of it. The problems I have with my neck are aggravated quite a bit by mowing. I could get a lawn tractor and do it, but I always enjoyed the excercise, even mowing an acre and a half with a regular push mower. Now I just can't do it, unfortunately.

Eventually I will get a small tractor of my own.

Mickey Lake

ccmanuals
06-27-2011, 02:43 PM
If it's good enough for Forest.....

http://www.speakinggump.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Forrest-Gump-Mowing.jpg

Canoeyawl
06-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Jake, I call what you're referring to as 'earth movers'. Yeah I can see where they might be tiresome after a bit. Although I must say I've operated both an excavator and a dozer a few times and I found them fun.:D

Did you get up at 4:00 and drive out to the landing by 5:00? Then check the fuel, the oil and water, warm up the engine and eat dust until 12:00 noon, take a half hour for a wimpy sandwich which has been in your tool box since last night then promptly at 12:30 check the oil, grease the machine, clean the airfilters and climb back up there until 6:00. Arrive home at 7:00, shower, throw your clothes in the wash and have dinner, then make your lunch for tomorrow and hit the sack by 9:00. Because that 4:00 am alarm is pretty early.
Now you're having fun, and oh-boy, you can do it tomorrow. Six days a week.

I hate tractors...

Paul Pless
06-27-2011, 03:48 PM
I hate tractors...

Fair enough.

But. . .
then make your lunch for tomorrow and hit the sack by 9:00.

You have only yourself to blame for the wimpy sandwich.;)

Canoeyawl
06-27-2011, 03:57 PM
I have only myself to blame for everything....
Actually I made good lunches, but you can only do so much in fifteen minutes and then after a shift in the woods, nothing tasted very good!
It is a love hate relationship, I still do tractors every day. I just don't drive them any more.

SamSam
06-27-2011, 03:58 PM
http://www.clevelandleader.com/files/palinmaze.jpg

Maybe Popeye was right and aliens do exist.

Canoeyawl
06-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Aliens disguised as Sarah Palin.

yzer
06-27-2011, 04:02 PM
We have a little lawn in the backyard. Little is the operative word because the rest of the landscaping requires very little water. It's in great condition and the dog likes it. I use a reel-type push mower that is not motorized. I don't need to pay a fitness center for the exercise.

Iceboy
06-27-2011, 08:01 PM
I love mowing my lawn also. The 1973 Wheel Horse garden tractor is a blast to drive and tinker with. My lawn is a 2 beer job and there is a spot to place my beer so it doesn't even vibrate. It is fun blowing snow with it as well.

George Jung
06-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Had a neighbor lady mowed in her sandals - caught a wire thrown by the mower, right through her leg.

That's why I don't mow; not gonna do it -

wouldn't be prudent.

Waddie
06-27-2011, 08:21 PM
I love grass mowing, too. I have a selfpropelled Snapper (ala Forrest Gump), and it's remote controlled as well. I just yell out to my youngest son who cuts my grass what to do next ( as if I need to)...:)

I find that drinking beer while watching him mow isn't dehydrating at all...

regards,
Waddie

Hwyl
06-27-2011, 08:23 PM
I hate it with such a passion I'm close to defriending JCSOH

Ron Williamson
06-27-2011, 09:26 PM
At home,I cut the remaining grass with a potato powered reel mower.
I don't run gas mowers enough to keep the gas fresh.
At the shop, I drive a 5' bush hog behind a 40 hp tractor,when I feel the need to destroy something.
R

Mrleft8
06-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Country gentelman attire ;)

Muslim extremest attire!

Old Dryfoot
06-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Lawn service... haven't looked back. :D

LeeG
06-27-2011, 10:07 PM
http://www.ergonica.com/images/CASRAretiredlawn_pasquini.jpg

I drove by this yard every day when taking my kids to school. Back then the push mower was on a pedestal with four heavy chains holding it down.

Mrleft8
06-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Joe..... Dja ever get grass clippings stuck between your teeth, and not notice it until halfway through a job interview, or second date?..... :D

johnwill
06-28-2011, 01:26 AM
There is a good reason that no one from Texas has said how much they like mowing. My Honda walk behind mower has electric start and hydrostatic drive, but it is still a heat stroke waiting to happen.

botebum
06-28-2011, 01:41 AM
I like mowing too and my JD has two Beer can holders and a trough with a drain that will hold two more with a bit of ice. Lucky for me I got a big fricken yard:D
The only trouble is that the open ones go flat pretty fast from the vibration so you kinda' have to pound them. It's ok though. I've got my mowing pattern down to a science so I get past either the front or back door pretty often;)

Doug