PDA

View Full Version : yuloh thanks...by the way, whisker pole...?

Chuck Hancock
11-20-2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks to all of you who suggested I investigate the "yuloh", (a sculling oar of SE Asain origin), when I solicited advice on making a sweep oar for my 30' cutter. I lack the wherewithall to post a picture of my efforts, but suffice to say that I made a version of such an oar to my best interpretation and it is an unqualified success. The oar is about 12 1/2' oal made from white ash, and pivots on a small steel ball mounted on a bracket of my own design mounted on the transom. The ease of shipping the oar is effortless and fast, and it not only will deliver enough thrust to propel my 7 tons at 1.5-2 kts., but is efficient enough that I can sustain that pace for at least a half hour, (as evidenced by my last sail on Budd Inlet in winds which diminished to nothing about a half mile from my slip...I sail engineless), without undue stress. Thanks to all.
I've been recently shopping the options available for a suitable whisker pole and have tentatively decided upon buying bronze fittings from Port Townsend Foundry and fabricating my own pole from stock. Cool looks, dependable construction, and just the length I want. However, I was eyeballing an adjustable unit from Forspar, (their HD model, longest range of two), which could be had for somewhat less than what the former would cost me to make. The draw is cost,for one of course, but also the adjustability factor. I've read some disparaging remarks about the ability of adjustable poles to maintain their set in greater that mellow conditions. Does anyone have any experience with such poles?
Thanks again for the help.
Chuck

Venchka
11-20-2003, 08:28 PM
Great news! It's good to hear that sculling works!

I can vouch for the fact that Forespar makes good kit. No experience with their whisker poles.

Bob Smalser
11-20-2003, 08:41 PM
I'd sure like to see a pic, Chuck...thinking of something similar to replace an outboard on a small but beamy sailboat.

Ian McColgin
11-21-2003, 07:55 AM
Finastkind

Keith Wilson
11-21-2003, 09:14 AM
FWIW, I used an adjustable Forespar whisker pole on my T-Bird sailing out of Berkeley on SF Bay. It worked fine, and conditions were not at all mellow most of the time. Not as pretty as a wooden one, though.

MAGIC's Craig
11-21-2003, 01:22 PM
If either of you WA folk can swing a weekend trip to Victoria, Lin and Larry Pardey have TALIESIN berthed next to a rented float home in West Bay marina. They have used a yuloh for years and taught Vicky and me how to use one on our previous 28' 14,000 # engineless cutter. We found that we were able to negotiate many of the waters of the Pac. NW with this set-up - though slowly and with patience ;) .

Bob Smalser
11-21-2003, 03:30 PM
Nice of you, Craig...thanks.

Future daughter-in-law, an Environmental Scientist by trade, would prefer something cleaner on their wedding gift than the old Seagull I'm fixing up...

...and thought I might come up with a solution that also saves them on their gym membership over in Bellevue. ;)

But I just found a set of oarlocks I can mount on their beamy Hartley's spray rail with a little beefing up...now the problem is finding a place to stow the sweeps. Maybe I'll make folding oars? Still thinkin about it.

http://i7.ebayimg.com/01/i/00/e5/c3/f4_1.JPG

[ 11-21-2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Bob Smalser ]