PDA

View Full Version : Jack Knife

ishmael
06-25-2011, 03:21 PM
A bit of drama on the road today. New people moving in across the road had their moving van well stuck. The guy driving was trying to back it across a narrow road, a big rig, and backed the cab into a good, deep, muddy ditch. Oops.

All the Kings Men...worked on it for a few hours with a little tractor. I took one look at it and told them they weren't going to pull it out with that. So they hired in a big tow truck.

It blocked the road for a good half a day, but they finally got it back on the road.

Funny how just a few inches of error can lead to a day's misery.

Dutch
06-25-2011, 06:45 PM
was it huisjen on his TO-20?

ishmael
06-25-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't know what that means, Dutch.

Rich Jones
06-25-2011, 09:12 PM
With my move next week, I told the movers to bring a van, not a tractor-trailer. A big rig wouldn't last long on my Vermont dirt road. Let's hope they listen. I'm starting to get nervous....

Michael D. Storey
06-25-2011, 10:04 PM
With my move next week, I told the movers to bring a van, not a tractor-trailer. A big rig wouldn't last long on my Vermont dirt road. Let's hope they listen. I'm starting to get nervous....
Well, most articulated moving rigs that i have seen might present a road clearance problem on a rural road. On the other foot, the critical factor is the distance from the center of the rear wheels to the next axle up, whether it is the steering wheels on a straight job or the drive wheels on the road tractor. The rig with the shortest distance, all other things being equal, will be able to turn the sharpest.
I am not a professional, but I have done some driving, and find that if I get out often enough to eye-ball the situation, I'm in the best position.

Dutch
06-25-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't know what that means, Dutch.

huisjen once said he had one of these- a massey ferguson TO-20 - a small tractor - I was speculating it might be him, attempting to pull a 50,000 lb semi out of a ditch

http://www.vansicklepaint.com/halloffame/halloffameimages/Ferguson-TO-20.jpg

Paul Pless
06-25-2011, 10:17 PM
I was speculating it might be him, attempting to pull a 50,000 lb semi out of a ditchthat's almost so ridiculous that somebody ought to have called the po-lice

epoxyboy
06-26-2011, 02:11 AM
The guy driving was trying to back it across a narrow road, a big rig, and backed the cab into a good, deep, muddy ditch. Oops.
Funny how just a few inches of error can lead to a day's misery.

Back in my airforce days a friend of mine was towing a fully gassed up A4 Skyhawk out to the flightline, and managed to drop one of the main landing wheels off the edge of the concrete onto the grass. With the skinny little wheels designed for carrier landings that those birds have, it sunk. Poor Mike was left with a red face and a mountain of paperwork to explain what he did wrong, how the bird got damaged, why bunch of guys had to be tasked with jacking up and recovering an aircraft, and why that part of the apron was off limits for aircraft movements for the better part of a day.

Pete

ishmael
06-26-2011, 08:44 AM
This truck was jack-knifed both side to side and up and down. I didn't get a look at the hitch, but I wouldn't be surprized if it were a bit mangled. When they finally got it out it was groaning even when backing straight.

It shows you how sleepy it is hereabouts when that's the highlight for the weekend. LOL.

P.S. The tractor they were trying to use had steel caterpillar treads. It was going nowhere on an ashphault road surface. I haven't walked down to check the damage, but I'll bet the road surface is torn up a might.

Bruce Taylor
06-26-2011, 09:20 AM
It shows you how sleepy it is hereabouts when that's the highlight for the weekend.

The highlight for the weekend in Orrington, ME was a memorial gathering for a dear friend, Lynn Hickerson (http://obituaries.bangordailynews.com/obituaries/bangordailynews/obituary.aspx?n=lynn-russell-hickerson&pid=150421901).

We'd been planning to be there, but had to cancel. :(

ishmael
06-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Lynn sounds like she was a fine person, Bruce. I'm sure you'll miss her. The only close friend I've lost, Kathy, was like a sister.

Funny, I have peripheral connections to both the historic ships she helped preserve, Elissa and Bowdoin.

R.I.P.

Bruce Taylor
06-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Lynn sounds like she was a fine person, Bruce. I'm sure you'll miss her.

She was, and we will. :)

cjp1063
06-26-2011, 08:49 PM
The filming of the movie "Signs" was mostly done in Bucks County, PA. The scene were Mel visits the veterinarian and cuts off the "Alien's" fingers was done at my cousin's neighbors house. To get the film crew there they had to drive the tractor trailers right in front of the cousin's house, 90 degree turn, narrow road, they had to go across a small portion of the front yard. They didn't get stuck, but left ruts for which they offered to pay for the damage. My cousin declined, so instead they were invited to lunch with Mel, which they accepted. Got pictures of the younger cousin with his arm around Mel... Mel doesn't like to be touched apparently...