PDA

View Full Version : Those Russians sure know how to fly

The Bigfella
06-23-2011, 11:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFokR6mNQIo&feature=player_embedded

Nicholas Carey
06-23-2011, 11:20 PM
His angle of attack seemed...a little high.

The Bigfella
06-23-2011, 11:26 PM
I think it helps to have LOTS of power at times like that.

skipper68
06-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Thank goodness them and the Chinese are working on them.I was worried.http://images.addoway.com/items/3912/628025/DonnasStuffMore_2_cc38f6.jpg (http://images.addoway.com/items/3912/628025/DonnasStuffMore_2_cc38f6.jpg) I hope their Duracell Battery's work.

purri
06-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Sukhoi 28?

The Bigfella
06-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Su-33

http://www.ausairpower.net/KnAAPO-Su-33-1.jpg

skipper68
06-24-2011, 02:38 AM
Now, China is making toys too. THAT is a worried thing. Aircraft carriers too. Thank god it's made in China.

The Bigfella
06-24-2011, 02:40 AM
Now, China is making toys too. THAT is a worried thing. Aircraft carriers too. Thank god it's made in China.

I'd be more worried about what some crazy American might do than I am about the Chinese.

Geno
06-24-2011, 02:45 AM
I would poop myswelf. And i claimed a ton of deepwater sensitive recovery thingies.

Bill Griffin
06-24-2011, 06:27 AM
That's good, but if he was REALLY good he'd have made a good trap, in the dark, in the rain.
Wish I could do that!

carioca1232001
06-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Makes one wonder what percentage of that successful outcome may be assigned to that particular airplanes handling abilities ?

Isn´t the Su-33 the same airplane that performs incredible - and unmatched - stunts in air-shows ?

The ability to alter the exhaust nozzle´s orientation - up to a certain limit - in 3-D is said to contribute greatly towards this end.

johnwill
06-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Yes, the Pugachev Cobra maneuver. Spectacular in air shows, useless in combat. Several other airplanes can do it. Actually, the pilot in the video performed about one half of a cobra.

The Su-33 is the navalized version of the family of Sukhoi Flanker series, -27, -30, -33, -34, -35, -37.

SamSam
06-24-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't know anything about it but it would seem it's too bad he doesn't know how to land. If his tailhook would have caught i think that would have been interesting.

Gerarddm
06-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Yeh, the Cobra trick will get you toasted in combat.

And SamSam is right, imagine if he did catch his tailhook. O dear.

Meanwhile, where was the deck officer? Didn't this pilot get waved off before he got to the go/no go zone?

carioca1232001
06-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes, the Pugachev Cobra maneuver. Spectacular in air shows, useless in combat. Several other airplanes can do it. Actually, the pilot in the video performed about one half of a cobra.

The Su-33 is the navalized version of the family of Sukhoi Flanker series, -27, -30, -33, -34, -35, -37.

Many thanks for your response.

Care to identify the US / EU fighter jets that can do the same ? Are these also able to 'wiggle' their exhaust nozzle, or is recourse made to other control surfaces ?

In your opinion, did the pilot of that SU-33 take an enormous risk performing the Pugachev Cobra on the carrier flight deck, or did it startle just the unknowing mortals ? !

johnw
06-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Yeh, the Cobra trick will get you toasted in combat.

And SamSam is right, imagine if he did catch his tailhook. O dear.

Meanwhile, where was the deck officer? Didn't this pilot get waved off before he got to the go/no go zone?
Don't they still use radio instead of waving signals?

Mad Scientist
06-24-2011, 09:12 PM
...In your opinion, did the pilot of that SU-33 take an enormous risk performing the Pugachev Cobra on the carrier flight deck, or did it startle just the unknowing mortals ? !

Perhaps the pilot made an error but was extremely lucky, and lived to tell about it. It's been known to happen.

Tom

Paul Pless
06-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Care to identify the US / EU fighter jets that can do the same ? Are these also able to 'wiggle' their exhaust nozzle, or is recourse made to other control surfaces ? F 22 has thrust vectoring and is capable of hovers and high angle of attack maneuvers.

Its also super stealthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJO0KzTgcMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW2Hvu_mUdU

Paul Girouard
06-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Don't they still use radio instead of waving signals?

In the USN the LSO stand on the port side aft on a platform , called the LSO platform. They use a radio and talk to the pilot , they also hold a devise I believe they call "The pickle" due to it shape , I think they hold that switch or have it in their hand so if they need to they can make the approach light flash which means wave off , they'd also say Wave Off , wave off into the radio IF they want him/ the pilot to power up and go around.

I have no idea what the Russian's do , but that move this pilot made would seem to me to have been a desperate last second pilot induced wave off.

He appeared high and fast , at least compared to any USN fighter I've seen land on the boat, which include the RA-5, F-4, F-14 , F-18.

Of course the Ruskies could do it way different than the USN , I know when they refueled their ship back in my day they did so stopped in the water tied along side each other rather then the USN way of under way replenishment. So for all I know that pass the jet made was a SOP for the USSR.

BUT IT SURE LOOKED LIKE A ACCIDENT going some where to happen.

BTW we still refer to what the LSO does as "waving".

johnw
06-24-2011, 10:19 PM
I the USN the LSO stand on the port side aft on a platform , called the LSO platform. They use a radio and talk to the pilot , they also hold a devise I believe they call "The pickle" due to it shape , I think they hold that switch or have it in their hand if they need to they can make the approach light flash which means wave off , they'd also say Wave Off , wave off into the radio IF they want his to power up and go around.

I have no idea what the Russian's do , but that move this pilot made would seem to me to have been a desperate last second pilot induced wave off.

He appeared high and fast , at least compared to any USN fighter I've seen land on the boat, which include the RA-5, F-4, F-14 , F-18.

Of course the Ruskies could do it way different than the USN , I know when they refueled their ship back in my day they did so stopped in the water tied along side each other rather then the USN way of under way replenishment. So for all I know that pass the jet made was a SOP for the USSR.

BUT IT SURE LOOKED LIKE A ACCIDENT going some where to happen.

BTW we still refer to what the LSO does as "waving".
Optical landing system, that's what I was thinking of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Landing_System

Some years back I'd heard that the Russians were using verbal commands through radio instead of visual signals (like the LSO used to give with what appeared to be ping pong paddles.) Don't know if that's still the case.

Paul Girouard
06-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Optical landing system, that's what I was thinking of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Landing_System

Some years back I'd heard that the Russians were using verbal commands through radio instead of visual signals (like the LSO used to give with what appeared to be ping pong paddles.) Don't know if that's still the case.

Paddles no longer has "paddles" in the USN, the landing lights , the radio and a AOA ( Angle Of Attack ) indicator on the glare screen all assist the pilot on approach.

Every landing is graded , with the best grade a OK pass. No grading curve needed, the round down IS the judge! :D

johnw
06-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Paddles no longer has "paddles" in the USN, the landing lights , the radio and a AOA ( Angle Of Attack ) indicator on the glare screen all assist the pilot on approach.

That would be the Optical Landing System I referred to, yes?

johnwill
06-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Many thanks for your response.

Care to identify the US / EU fighter jets that can do the same ? Are these also able to 'wiggle' their exhaust nozzle, or is recourse made to other control surfaces ?

In your opinion, did the pilot of that SU-33 take an enormous risk performing the Pugachev Cobra on the carrier flight deck, or did it startle just the unknowing mortals ? !

The ones I know about are the F-22 Raptor (using vectored thrust), F/A-18E/F Super Hornet (no thrust vectoring), and the J-35 Viggen (no thrust vectoring). I have no idea if the pilot intentionally did the half cobra or simply screwed up. He was either very skilled or lucky or (most likely) both.

Paul Girouard
06-25-2011, 12:04 AM

Yes, in part.

The landing lights on the ship , the pilot can see those.

His AOA indicator in his cockpit runs off a AOA transmitter which is a little rod, about the size of a pencil, that sticks out of the port side of the nose area, it has small holes in it and the air hits it so the pilot is flying the aircraft "around" that probe attempting to get it at a certain AOA , that along with the right air speed sets up the glide slope , basically , very basically.

The LSO is telling the pilot if he's aligned right left and right and helping with height , speed etc. I'd guess being a LSO is sort of a feel thing, they are all pilots , one would assume "good" pilots , being a LSO is a collateral duty, they are all pilots IN the air-wing , they "call" different aircraft than they fly , so it's a mixed bag of type A/C pilots " waving" , they sort of take turns from what I know about it. They've watched lots of landings and sort of just know what the approach should look like. So it's a different set of eyes watching the approach and adding input , such as "Power" if the guys slow , or " a little right" etc. so he's talking the guy down , adding confidence that the approach is going well.

So all those things are combining as the approach is flown.

johnw
06-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I wonder how the Russians do it these days?

purri
06-25-2011, 03:37 AM
aka Mk 1 EYEBALL

carioca1232001
06-25-2011, 10:10 AM
F 22 has thrust vectoring and is capable of hovers and high angle of attack maneuvers.

Its also super stealthy.......

Very impressive, although the price of the F 22 has rocketed to the point that the US Administration has drastically curtailed orders for it.

The Su-30 Mk I is thought to be more bang for the buck. The Air Forces of India, Malaysia and Indonesia have acquired it.

carioca1232001
06-25-2011, 10:15 AM
........ I have no idea what the Russian's do , but that move this pilot made would seem to me to have been a desperate last second pilot induced wave off.

BUT IT SURE LOOKED LIKE A ACCIDENT going some where to happen.......

The Russians have come a long way since the early ´60´s, when they hardly had a Navy !

The Chinese are currently following suit and should be launching their indigenious aircraft carrier anytime now.

wardd
06-25-2011, 01:09 PM
it seems he has the flying part down, it's the landing he has to work on