PDA

View Full Version : Indoor garden question

Tylerdurden
06-23-2011, 06:07 AM
I am new to growing indoors, I have a big sun room and we planted Tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets along with cucumbers in rectangular bins. I had two rows of 4'grow bulbs going but it seemed the plants were some what spindly. I had a large metal halide I used on job sites so I swapped it out and within days I see a big difference in the plants. I am wondering though if any of you have grown mature plants under lights and what period of day length you would use. I am running 12.5 hours right now and am just looking at maximum production.

The other question is has anybody used those LED grow lights? They are super pricey but energy consumption might offset the cost. I would like to be able to produce in the winter months so it may be a worthwhile investment.

The Bigfella
06-23-2011, 06:41 AM
Growing a cash crop for barter eh?

The Dutch are masters at this. They only get 3% or so of their annual sunlight in winter... so grow crops under artificial light

seanz
06-23-2011, 07:04 AM
I had a large metal halide I used on job sites so I swapped it out and within days I see a big difference in the plants.

Extra warmth? How hot is that lamp?

Also, I've been doing some indoor gardening too, I'm new to it as well, want me to send you some seeds?
:)

Paul Pless
06-23-2011, 07:11 AM
summertime indoor gardening, hmmmm. . .

http://www.marijuanaseedbanks.com/images/hydro_marijuana_grow_rooms/images/hydroponic_marijuana.jpg

seanz
06-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Love what you've done with the pots.

Here's everything I know about growing plants indoors......be careful.
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?129556-Chili-Pepper-Question.&highlight=

Dutch
06-23-2011, 07:50 AM
led is the way to go - round here the power company keeps track of your power consumption and notifies authorities if it seems your power consumption has escalated out of the norm -

led will also give off no flir signature which is another dead give away to what youre up to

MiddleAgesMan
06-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Since tomatoes have "perfect" flowers (both male and female parts contained in one flower) pollination is usually not a problem when they're grown indoors. But you still want to help them self-pollinate by jiggling the plants once or twice a day or by getting some movement going with a fan, for instance. Peppers, too, have perfect flowers.

With the paucity of bumblebees these days, I hand-pollinated my cucumbers and squash this year even though they were outside. I've left one plant to nature and it has not produced a third of the fruits that I got from the plants I hand-pollinated.

Tylerdurden
06-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Tomatoes are not sensitive to daylength (http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-catalog_extras_vegetables.aspx),
but they are sensitive to light intensity.

Google "tomato day length"

You'll probably need to study hydroponics, too.

Thanks for the link, I would love to learn Hydroponics and looked into it. Quite an investment and probably not a good idea to add complexity when I can barely handle growing in pots. Maybe someday.

Gerarddm
06-23-2011, 10:09 AM
What with your paranoia about the TSA and government in general, expect a visit from the constabulary after the utility company reports your electicity usage spike.

If you hang red Cristmas tree ball orrnaments from your marijuana plants, maybe the Feds will think they are tomatoes.

Tylerdurden
06-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Extra warmth? How hot is that lamp?

Also, I've been doing some indoor gardening too, I'm new to it as well, want me to send you some seeds?
:)

Depends on what seeds? No funny ones please! My sun-room is right out front and can be clearly seen from the driveway so no weird plants. Because of fukishima I planted ground crops like Potatoes and turnips etc. in the garden and figured I would do the other plants indoors like tomatoes, lettuce etc. Good for me to get up to speed with indoor gardening anyways.

Tylerdurden
06-23-2011, 10:15 AM
What with your paranoia about the TSA and government in general, expect a visit from the constabulary after the utility company reports your electicity usage spike.

If you hang red Cristmas tree ball orrnaments from your marijuana plants, maybe the Feds will think they are tomatoes.

Nope, they are in plain sight so if they want to come and inspect they can. Besides I can barely grow tomatoes, I would probably fail if I tried the funny stuff. I will leave that to professionals.

Tylerdurden
06-23-2011, 10:16 AM
summertime indoor gardening, hmmmm. . .

http://www.marijuanaseedbanks.com/images/hydro_marijuana_grow_rooms/images/hydroponic_marijuana.jpg

Do you see all the gear in that photo?

skipper68
06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi TD. I was thinking of a way, even though we have a yard. I was looking into this, after my son (no land) got his extra room working summer and winter. I was thinking the bow cabin, as it is winter storage. He said the LED's are well worth the cost, with electric rates here. I gave up on tomato s, as the tomato fairy overwhelms us near fall! www.trendhunter.com/trends/​urban-gardens-living-wall-planters

Paul Pless
06-23-2011, 10:34 AM
I would probably fail if I tried the funny stuff. I will leave that to professionals.
It grows like a weed.

Tylerdurden
06-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Hi TD. I was thinking of a way, even though we have a yard. I was looking into this, after my son (no land) got his extra room working summer and winter. I was thinking the bow cabin, as it is winter storage. He said the LED's are well worth the cost, with electric rates here. I gave up on tomato s, as the tomato fairy overwhelms us near fall! www.trendhunter.com/trends/​urban-gardens-living-wall-planters

I can't get that link to work Skipper. We are discussing a bow roof too. I built a big one a few years back for shop shop space and it really stood up to harsh winters here. I have all the available yard taken up with garden right now so its going to be a fall project. Thing is it won't extend my season by much without additional heat which is too expensive.

Tylerdurden
06-23-2011, 10:39 AM
It grows like a weed.

I know a couple of guys who did that. From what I was told its pretty intensive and not as easy as it sounds. They did the medical thing here in Maine and anyone with a card can grow legally. Some have teamed up in a cooperative. Kinda stupid to think anyone just starting out could compete with people who know how to do it.

Jim Mahan
06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
"It grows like a weed. "

Not if you want to smoke it to get high.

skipper68
06-23-2011, 11:20 AM
I can't get that link to work Skipper. We are discussing a bow roof too. I built a big one a few years back for shop shop space and it really stood up to harsh winters here. I have all the available yard taken up with garden right now so its going to be a fall project. Thing is it won't extend my season by much without additional heat which is too expensive.Just look up urban gardening. Apartment owners are using their wall space for vegetable gardens to save on grocery's, and for fresh year round.Their wall systems can give you good ideas.

skipper68
06-23-2011, 11:22 AM
The tips I need involve Agave plants ;)

varadero
06-23-2011, 12:26 PM
I had a party a few years ago. There was the usual crowd smoking! The seeds all got dumped in a rose bed. Come September I had 6 ft X 3 ft plants growing, it took 3 years to erradicate them.

skipper68
06-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Should have trimmed them like the roses-they wouldn't have "Eradicated";)

The Bigfella
06-23-2011, 03:25 PM
I went out on a stake-out of a hydroponics skunkworks. Interesting. The guy had rented an old shopfront... painted over the windows and had $250k of weed growing. Yep - the power company dobbed him in. Isn't it amazing how they can monitor your every activity. Its almost enough to send some folks paranoid.