PDA

View Full Version : favorite 'disgusting' foods

Paul Pless
06-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Brought on by Katherine hating anchovies and me piling them onto my pizza if given the chance, like I did tonight. So what food do you like that many find really unappealing?

Woxbox
06-17-2011, 08:53 PM
liver and onions

hanleyclifford
06-17-2011, 08:56 PM
In the "Nam I used to collect the canned scrambled eggs from my platoon....

capnharv
06-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Beef Tongue

David G
06-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Kim chee. Smelly (really smelly) cheeses. Shad roe. Crab butter. Raw oysters. Pickled octopus.

Hwyl
06-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Kippers, black pudding, I once enjoyed tripe in a restaurant in France: while I was married my mother in law tried to repeat that experience; I came to hate the phrase "Gareth I have made mondongo" I love the Spanish word for tripe btw it would have made a good log in name

Flying Orca
06-17-2011, 09:37 PM
It doesn't quite count 'cause I don't like 'em, but several members of my family swear by clam necks out of walrus stomachs. Pre-marinated, as it were.

Paul Pless
06-17-2011, 09:38 PM
clam necks out of walrus stomachs. Now we're getting somewhere!

botebum
06-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Raw oysters.
If you ever get a newb that might like them and there ain't really enough to go 'round, tell them it's easy ... just like eating someone else's snot.

Doug

wizbang 13
06-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Raw oysters.
If you ever get a newb that might like them and there ain't really enough to go 'round, tell them it's easy ... just like eating someone else's snot.

Doug
C'mon, Okra is like snot(I think), raw oyster is like sumpin elce.

George Jung
06-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Pretty bland, by this threads standards.

Sorry.

But I like saurkraut on my pizza's. With hamburger and mushroom. And beer, of course.

Pretty benign, but some folk act like I'm suggesting they eat snot.

Gerarddm
06-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Raw oysters.

LOL. Roseanne Rosannadanna ( Gilda Radner ) said they are like eating phlegm balls.

David W Pratt
06-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Giblet gravy?
Grits?

S.V. Airlie
06-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Except Roseanne's post, I have not seen anything here that I wouldn't try myself.

George Jung
06-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Jamie - agreed. My point is - so many folk (many living in my house) refusing to even try some foods.

Beef liver/onions is something I've tried to eat (dad insisted!); made me/makes me vomit, even the smell causes nausea. Spinach - like it now, didn't as a kid. The idea of sushi wasn't appealing - until I tried it. Wonderful! Love pickled herring, as well as veggies (asparagus pickled with garlic/peppers - excellent!)

Crap. Now I'm hungry...

S.V. Airlie
06-18-2011, 11:30 AM
George. My father was a member of the Explorers' Club.. An organization that included yes, literally explorers, scientists, educational figure heads; basically anyone who made a dent on some aspect of society. Once a year, the club would put out a bash including items brought back from the actual explorers who were usually traveling the world. As these bashes, one could find all sorts of "exotic" dishes spread out on the tables to try. It might include such items as fried ants with garlic, fried grubs..you name it. My father went regularly but never invited me to this bash. I only wish he had. I would have enjoyed it.

George Jung
06-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Daughter #1 would have liked that as well - she loves to travel, and wouldn't dream of 'eating American' when out of country ( in fact, prefers 'other' restaurants/foods, especially Indian, in country).

Too bad such 'clubs' aren't readily available today ( at least that I know of).

Sounds like fun.

BTW, your dad sounds really interesting - what did he do???

Bob Adams
06-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Except Roseanne's post, I have not seen anything here that I wouldn't try myself.

How about:
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?132598-Turd-Burger

And no, I don't think I could bring myself to try it.

S.V. Airlie
06-18-2011, 12:49 PM
If there are cats or simlar creatures. (another thread about coffee) that eat coffee beans only to collect the beans and digest the fruit, I don't honestly see any difference.

George Jung
06-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Man, that is good coffee.....

... and so smooth..... Dear, how do you do it?:p

Peerie Maa
06-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Most of my favourites are already covered. Haggis, pressed tongue, black pudding, liver in all of its recipes, kidneys, oysters on the shell,
No one has mentioned Marmite yet.

carlg
06-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Never tried it, but my sister used to love peanut butter and mustard sandwiches.

ramillett
06-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Cow tongue tacos , love um :)

seanz
06-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Vegemite?
:)

I think the only thing I use in cooking that the uninitiated would find truly dissgusting is fish sauce.........mmmmmm, pungent.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-18-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm kinda partial to those marshmellow peanuts. Nancy says they're nasty.

Paul Pless
06-18-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm kinda partial to those marshmellow peanuts. i can see where they might be easy on your tooth;):d

SamSam
06-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Hot dogs

Garret
06-18-2011, 08:47 PM
I'll raise you one: Campbell's green pea soup with sliced hot dogs in it. Comfort food from my childhood.....

Paul Pless
06-18-2011, 09:02 PM
?...

Phillip Allen
06-18-2011, 09:03 PM
?...
just because... :)

Robert Meyer
06-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Vegemite

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sandwich/VegemiteSandwich.jpg

Belch

Lucky_James
06-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Sheeps Eyes - Arab delicacy. Definite parotid spurt....

Chip-skiff
06-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Cabeza! Whole roasted sheep's head— delicious. The Spanish Basques who cooked it for me (after I found their lost horses in the mountains) offered me the eyes, but I returned the honour to them. They saved the brains to cook with garlic and eggs for breakfast.

Our old sailing mate in NZ served in the British Marines in WWII (Italy) and loved tripe cooked in a spicy tomato sauce: always a feature of our yachting trips.

Love raw oysters. Also Thai fish sauce (which is anchovy oil) and anchovies (in moderation).

The most purely disgusting thing I like is liverwurst. Get a terrible jones for it about once a year. Glop it on crackers or eat it on toasted bread with mayonnaise and ketchup.

seanz
06-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Vegemite

Belch

I'm assuming you meant "blech"?

George Jung
06-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Cabeza! Whole roasted sheep's head— delicious. The Spanish Basques who cooked it for me (after I found their lost horses in the mountains) offered me the eyes, but I returned the honour to them. They saved the brains to cook with garlic and eggs for breakfast.

Our old sailing mate in NZ served in the British Marines in WWII and loved tripe cooked in a spicy tomato sauce: always a feature of our yachting trips.

Love raw oysters. Also Thai fish sauce (which is anchovy oil) and anchovies (in moderation).

The most purely disgusting thing I like is liverwurst. Get a terrible jones for it about once a year. Glop it on crackers or eat it on toasted bread with mayonnaise and ketchup.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!

You can't just say 'Spanish Basques' and 'roasted sheeps head' and 'eating eyeballs', and

carry on tra - de - la....

Details, old son!

Or we'll sick the basques on ya.

Old Dryfoot
06-18-2011, 10:37 PM
It's hard for me to think of anything that I enjoy as disgusting but I'd guess others find liverwurst and raw oysters distasteful, I love `em. Alligator is also real tasty and so is rattle snake, though I've only had it rattler once, those might put some people off too.

George Jung
06-18-2011, 10:44 PM
rattler isn't a problem -

unless you get the head - or the tail...

Lucky_James
06-19-2011, 01:42 AM
Vegemite

Belch

Marmite is better than Vegemite. Beefy Goodness on Sourdough Toast Abounds.......

AussieBarney
06-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Vegemite is not disgusting, it is nectar from the gods. everyone knows that Yanks and Kiwis ain't got no tatse

purri
06-19-2011, 02:50 AM
Dugong, Vegemite (aka vaginamite for the cunning stunts) , Sydney rock oy(veh)sters, trippa (pref Arrabiata), lamb kidneys, calf liver and a box of knowledge (brains).

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-19-2011, 05:11 AM
Patum Peperium. An acquired taste. Start with Marmite or Vegemite and go from there...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Relish.jpg

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-19-2011, 05:17 AM
...and having got that far, proceed if you are able, to Bombay Duck, which is actually a prohibited import into Europe, these days...

http://www.bombay-duck.co.uk/bombay.jpg

Spin_Drift
06-19-2011, 05:22 AM
Halibut cheeks, rolled in egg, and flour, then wrapped with bacon and roasted in oven.

Blue cheese...the more it's speckled with blue (mold) the better.

Spinach and cheese croissants. Yummy!

Hard boiled egg sandwich with anchovich (sp?) on top. Boy oh boy, it really makes a good sandwich.

purri
06-19-2011, 06:12 AM
OK,

I agree with A C-B! It's Bombay Duck as dried snacks with a tough chili relish after a hard night on the grog.

YUM!!!!!

seanz
06-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Hard boiled egg sandwich with anchovich (sp?) on top. Boy oh boy, it really makes a good sandwich.

Hmmm.......might have a new sandwich to try out.

seanz
06-19-2011, 06:21 AM
OK,

I agree with A C-B! It's Bombay Duck as dried snacks with a tough chili relish after a hard night on the grog.

YUM!!!!!

Well arnt you lah-tee-dah, wots wrong wiffa col pizza?
:p

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Bombay Duck update - a firm in Manchester has obtained a licence to import it - on condition it comes in in sealed containers!

Peerie Maa
06-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Bombay Duck update - a firm in Manchester has obtained a licence to import it - on condition it comes in in sealed containers!

That's going to make it difficult to eat ;)

spirit
06-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Octopus tentacles!

Old Dryfoot
06-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Here is one from my childhood, peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches... tasty! Also went to school with some twins, one of whom was partial to Bermuda onion on white bread with mayo for lunch, now that one is nasty...

purri
06-19-2011, 08:04 PM
^ If you'venever smelt BD after a hard night on the turps then you're in for a "treat". :p

S.V. Airlie
06-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Rocky Mountain Oysters probably wouldn't appeal to me but I'd try them once.

ron ll
06-19-2011, 09:04 PM
My dad would take a large glass and fill it with buttered popcorn. He would then fill the glass with milk, add a little more salt and eat with a spoon. I inherited the habit and still enjoy it today. Still haven't met anyone else that does this. Anyone here?

L.W. Baxter
06-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Braunschweiger. Just once in a while, to recall my midwestern farm boy upbraunging.

Hughman
06-19-2011, 09:45 PM
lutefisk? Balut? Hákarl? Chiterlings? Take your pick, it's all good

Breakaway
06-19-2011, 10:06 PM
The still-beating heart of the first big tuna of the season.

Kevin

George Jung
06-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Rocky Mountain Oysters probably wouldn't appeal to me but I'd try them once.

If you didn't know the source, you'd not find them remarkable; 'tastes like chikkin'

lutefisk? Balut? Hákarl? Chiterlings? Take your pick, it's all good

Lutefisk? Taste good? I beg to differ!

seanz
06-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Mmmmm.....vegemite on fresh bread.

skipper68
06-20-2011, 12:19 AM
There will NEVER be a day in a restaurant my husband can EVER order frog legs again. It wasn;t the dinner, but the behavior them frog legs did. I ran to the bar, and .......nuff said. NEVER let them mate on a pile of mashed potato's.

purri
06-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Andrew,
He does not know of which he speaks. (evil smile)

Meli
06-20-2011, 04:48 AM
many have told me that my peanut butter, tomato and mayo sandwhiches are ewwwwwwe! until they try one

Hey, I've been looking for anyone else that can stomach these for 35 years.:D

Old Dryfoot
06-20-2011, 11:37 AM
^ If you'venever smelt BD after a hard night on the turps then you're in for a "treat". :p

If it smells half as bad as it looks, that's one treat I'll pass up.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Bombil.jpg

I think the winner in this thread so far has to be Balut, some things are just wrong...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/BALUT.jpg/450px-BALUT.jpg

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Yes, we have a winner. Despite my enthusiasm for most things Filipino, I do not eat balut. I prefer not even to think about balut.

Syed
06-20-2011, 12:57 PM
^+1

George Jung
06-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I don't see the problem, Andrew...

Again, ' tastes like chikkin' really applies.

I recall the episode where balut was eaten in the phillipines - that whacky 'disgusting foods' guy (not a bad gig!) even had a bit of trouble with that one. The shows that make me squirm generally involve foods from Asia.

ron ll
06-20-2011, 01:15 PM
A fairly normal food that will gag me every time is apple butter. Something happened when I was a kid, don't even remember now. But even the smell of it now will trigger gag reflexes in my throat. (I'm not even sure what apple butter is, don't want to get close enough to find out.)

George Jung
06-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Hmmmm.....

I have a similar aversion to cherry vodka.....

funny story, that.

Paul Pless
06-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Hmmmm.....

funny story, that.vomitous i bet

Canoez
06-20-2011, 01:28 PM
SWMBO went to China a number of years ago and enthusiastically at local cuisine. The one thing she ate that gave me real pause was the 1000 year eggs, AKA century eggs.

http://declubz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/1000-year-old-eggs.jpeg

As she described them, they are a sulfurous, gelatinous result of pickling whole duck eggs in the shell with horse urine. :(r< Not my tastes.

botebum
06-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Hmmmm.....

funny story, that.With me it's peppermint schnapps. Just a whiff and I'm ready to hurl.

Doug

S.V. Airlie
06-20-2011, 01:42 PM
For me, it is a few peanut butter cookies. There is a story about that. Just one incident, but it was enough for me.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Hundred year eggs are quite nice. I can even live with the sight of the chicken foot emerging from the breakfast congee...

I have eaten deep fried scorpion, I have eaten sea slug,

I actually like patis (salty sauce made from rotting shrimps)

But not balut...

Paul Pless
06-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Hundred year eggs are quite nice. I can even live with the sight of the chicken foot emerging from the breakfast congee...

I have eaten deep fried scorpion, I have eaten sea slug,

I actually like patis (salty sauce made from rotting shrimps) how do you feel about the food in post #7?

C. Ross
06-20-2011, 06:24 PM
In a dive bar in Osaka my brother and his japanese B-I-L goaded me into playing "name that seafood". I like it all, except whale tongue which was like eating a hard foam pillow that had floated under the docks for a couple of days.

The foods my family has banned includes pickled herring, saurkraut, and kimchee.

Paul Pless
06-20-2011, 06:34 PM
The foods my family has banned includes pickled herring, saurkraut, and kimchee.this from the man who lives in the land lutefisk. . .

Canoez
06-20-2011, 06:54 PM
In a dive bar in Osaka my brother and his japanese B-I-L goaded me into playing "name that seafood". I like it all, except whale tongue which was like eating a hard foam pillow that had floated under the docks for a couple of days.

The foods my family has banned includes pickled herring, saurkraut, and kimchee.

Noooooo! How can you properly enjoy a good bratwurst or bulgoggi beef without sauerkraut and kimchee!?!?!?

Old Dryfoot
06-20-2011, 07:23 PM
I've tried a variety of bugs, crickets, grasshoppers, meal worms... all the usual suspects, none really had any distinct taste or texture and the only notable flavor was that of the ingredients used to prepare them.

Having seen sea slugs in the wild, I'd have to say that it would be off the menu for me, and I'll try just about any seafood going. Octopus is yummy though I prefer squid, I found cuttlefish to be an exercise in chewing but that could well have been the chef's fault.

C. Ross
06-20-2011, 07:42 PM
this from the man who lives in the land lutefisk. . .

I can manage lutefisk but don't choose it. And its Norwegian and my Mom's father was Swedish. I grew up on all that stuff. Cured salmon, odd bits o' pork, oyster stew, rutabaga casseroles, beets in all their manifestations, hard cheeses and rye bread. Braunschweiger and liver and various giblets would make guest appearances. Ahhhh! Almost makes me want to start eating red meat again!

Noooooo! How can you properly enjoy a good bratwurst or bulgoggi beef without sauerkraut and kimchee!?!?!?

Thats what boats are for. Cigars, sauerkraut and kimchee, and whatever-the-hell-I-want piled with jalapenos and suicide sauce! Or, fried potatoes and eggs and sauerkraut will get you through a cold Minnesota Saturday morning...I can work through a plate or two before the ladies wake up, and I always destroy the evidence!

Canoez
06-20-2011, 07:54 PM
I can work through a plate or two before the ladies wake up, and I always destroy the evidence!

You may destroy the evidence, but you can't hide the after-effects! :D

botebum
06-20-2011, 07:55 PM
I have no wish to eat sea slugs but Good God!
I could look at them for hours!
I never knew they were so beautiful!
Google Images for Sea Slugs (http://www.google.com/search?q=sea+slug&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Yp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1ev_TcaHFeWt0AHn_ZCwDg&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1432&bih=713)

Doug

oznabrag
06-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I have no wish to eat sea slugs but Good God!
I could look at them for hours!
I never knew they were so beautiful!
Google Images for Sea Slugs (http://www.google.com/search?q=sea+slug&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Yp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1ev_TcaHFeWt0AHn_ZCwDg&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1432&bih=713)

Doug

Wow!

botebum
06-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Had some Rocky Mountain oysters, recently ... not bad ... not bad at all!That's just nuts!

Doug

Chip-skiff
06-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!

You can't just say 'Spanish Basques' and 'roasted sheeps head' and 'eating eyeballs', and carry on tra - de - la....

Details, old son! Or we'll sick the basques on ya.

I was a Forest Service grazing cop in the mountains. There were two Spanish Basques (Juan Garmendía and Javier Segura) who lost their fancy band of horses about two days into the summer herding. They'd been looking for them a week when I talked to them. Nice guys, but it was their first time in that range and they didn't know much about tracking in rocky terrain or horse-hunting.

Their patrón, Jimmy Magagna, was due with supplies the next day, and they were sweating bullets. To be lacking horses would have been about three notches below ultimate disgrace.

So I scouted around, found their horse band up high in an isolated pocket between rocky ridges, and herded the whole bunch back to their camp. You should've seen their faces when we came thundering in.

After Jimmy dropped off the grub (and wine), they invited me to a fiesta in my honour. They'd baked a big round loaf of bread and had the giant dutch oven half-buried with coals on top— being very mysterious about the main dish. So I tore off some bread and we passed the bota, and passed the bota, etc.

I was sitting on a log, about half-blind with drink, when Javier popped the lid off the dutch and snaked the contents into a big flat pan, then thrust it under my nose, shouting "CABEZA!"

Which it was: a roasted sheep's head with the tongue poked out and one glazed, milky eye open to my gaze. I almost fell off the log.

They offered me the eyes— an honour— which I returned to them. Also the tongue, which I said, being a poet, I'd taken a vow against eating.

Sí, claro: A vow!

But the tender meat flaked off the neck and cheeks was delicious, and fresh bread and a liter of rough red wine are great inducements to gluttony.

Vegetables? Were there vegetables? Maybe some onions and garlic.

I really liked those guys. Javier was a poet and a radical. Great admirer of Lorca. I think they were hiding out from Franco's thugs, with the help of relatives in the US.

Anyhow, that's the tale of the Gran Cabeza. Now you owe us one. . .

Paul Pless
06-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Anyhow, that's the tale of the Gran Cabeza. Y> ...

George Jung
06-21-2011, 12:07 AM
That's a great story!

And I only wish I could return the favor!

Chip-skiff
06-21-2011, 11:39 PM
That's a great story!

And I only wish I could return the favor!

Never made much money.

But I damn sure had fun.

oznabrag
06-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Never made much money.

But I damn sure had fun.

Why do you ride for your money?
And why do you rope for short pay?

Michael E Burton

:).

PeterSibley
06-22-2011, 12:15 AM

Yum ,love em all !

My only can't do it are offal meats , brains and tripe .No way .

purri
06-22-2011, 01:31 AM
^ Phyllis Stein!

Chip-skiff
06-30-2011, 08:22 PM
How 'bout vienna sausages right out of the can, with the slimy gel still clinging?

A favourite of my early adolescence— I indulge once or twice a year.

Michael D. Storey
06-30-2011, 09:53 PM
When the Boys were young, they would present me with a Saturday breakfast known as the Garbage Plate: eggs, baked beans, bacon, sauerkraut all cooked int he same frying pan. Then cold cottage cheese on the beans.

Paul Pless
06-30-2011, 09:54 PM
I coulda stomached that until you got to the cottage cheese. . . . . .that stuff is brutally disgusting.

Michael D. Storey
06-30-2011, 09:59 PM
so, what is the name of this thred?

Paul Pless
06-30-2011, 10:01 PM
:D ....

but honestly I can eat most of the other stuff posted, probably not the old chinese ducks or the liver pudding sandwich, but other than those, most of it I'll eat if not downright like.