PDA

View Full Version : A day in the life of a supply sgt

cs
06-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Just thought I might post just as some FYI in case anybody was wondering about what a supply sgt does and the scope of work that has been involved with what I've been doing.

First we will step back in time to when I was getting ready for deployment as a first time supply sgt. When we mobilized we basicaly stood up a unit, created a unit from nothing, just for the deployment. All the equipment had to be transfered in from other units and than when we came home that equipment had to be brought up to standards (RESET) and than dispersed back out.

I spent the first several months after deployment doing just that, plus doing all of the other admin and personal stuff that typically would be handled by others. You see the state didn't have funds to keep anybody else on orders. For a little while it was me and the 1SG but than the money ran out and he went back to being a civilian. After that it was up to me to work it all out. Not complaining, just letting you know what was going on. I enjoyed the work even though it could be frustrating.

Now I'm working the rear detachment as a supply sgt for a brigade while the brigade is deployed. Normally when you have a new supply sgt the incoming and outgoing do a joint inventory of equipment and account for everything. Now I'm not going to blame it all on the outgoing, he was put in a rough spot (had only been here 6 months), but the outgoing didn't take the time to do an inventory with me. Every time I approched him about it he was "to busy" and than the holidays came and than he took leave and than he left. And when he left, he left a mess. The property books were all jacked up. Some of the equiment that was to be left behind went forward and some of the equipment that was to go forward was left behind. And even some of the equipment belonged to other units underneath the brigade, both forward and rear. It took me actually a couple of weeks just to find the floor in the supply room. When they left it was like they threw everything in the floor and went out the door.

I spent weeks just trying to get a count and inventory done. There was nobody here from the forward to help me find anything, nor to even explain what some stuff was. There was equipment hidden in connex's, spare rooms and even in west TN. After a few months we have most everything squared away with only a few outstanding issues. I have several computers that just can't be located and I have several computers that just don't belong to anybody. Computers has been a big issue. I'm thinking that some of these computer issues are where they were issued new computers and turned in the old ones and the old ones never dropped off of the property books. Hopefully Chief and I can work most of those out today.

In addition this unit used to be another unit and they still have all kinds of junk left over from that time. Some is on the books and some is not. I'm having to go through and locate all of this stuff and get all the excess stuff turned in.

And we haven't even talked about the soldiers individual equipment and clothing. I've ran into problems with people getting out and the outgoing supply sgt had picked up their gear and never gave it to the soldier. That means it is on the soldier's records and not here in the supply room. I think that a lot of that gear went forward.

Just a brief glimpse, it has been a mess, but we are making it better one item at a time. By the time they get back I hope to hand them over a suppy room that was better than it had been in years.

I'm of the opinion that a thourgh 100% inventory had not been conducted in years, that is until I did one.

Not complaining in the least, it has been an experiance and I have learned a lot.

Chad

boatbuddha
06-17-2011, 10:21 AM
You mean it's not like I've seen in movies??

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/242959/Kelly-s-Heroes-Movie-Clip-Crapgame.html

cs
06-17-2011, 10:25 AM
I can't watch videos here, but if it is anything like I think it is, that is the kind of supply sgt that ends up in Levenworth and I have no plans of ever going there.

Chad

boatbuddha
06-17-2011, 10:32 AM
I can't watch videos here, but if it is anything like I think it is, that is the kind of supply sgt that ends up in Levenworth and I have no plans of ever going there.

Chad

It's Don Rickles as Crapgame from Kelly's Heroes. And having known a few former supply sgts they're nothing like they're portrayed in movies. One was our former warehouse manager who was a master of logistics, knew where everything was and kept the trucks coming and going like clockwork. He went on to manage a Walmart DC.

wardd
06-17-2011, 11:10 AM
since when is excess material turned in?

haven't you heard of swapping?

Bobby of Tulsa
06-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Chad, In basic training my favorite person was a supply Sgt. About two weeks in I got into some trouble. They handed me over to him, told him to make me sorry and straighten me out.:) He was a really cool guy, For the next five days I cleaned and cleaned and recleaned all the M16s. Company inspection came up and they were so impressed with how clean all the weapons were, It was so good for him that he got me a three day pass. Not many of those in basic training.:)

bobbys
06-17-2011, 12:32 PM
I was never in the army but had to get supplies from warehouses for constrution supplies.

The Clerks always had a frown and acted like they were giving away their first born baby if they had to fork up so much as a screw..

You would ask for something, They would look at you as if they just saw a pile of dog poo, Walk away into the back mumbling to them selfs, Go back and have a cuppa cawffe with thier friends and giggle and come back and say, We No gots but we can order it then Yell NEXT!!!.

Course i got em back when they said there were no more Door Hinges or Knobs, I went back when they left and took everything off their doors.

I think they suspected me though.

Course i know your bright and cheerful Chad.

Paul Pless
06-17-2011, 12:36 PM
The Clerks always had a frown and acted like they were giving away their first born baby if they had to fork up so much as a screw..

You would ask for something, They would look at you as if they just saw a pile of dog poo, Walk away into the back mumbling to them selfs, Go back and have a cuppa cawffe with thier friends and giggle and come back and say, We No gots but we can order it then Yell NEXT!!!.

Course i got em back when they said there were no more Door Hinges or Knobs, I went back when they left and took everything off their doors.sounds exactly like lefty at the pub some days

Dan McCosh
06-17-2011, 01:57 PM
That was Radar's job, wasn't it?

cs
06-17-2011, 02:31 PM
No, he was the company clerk. We would tend to call that the admin/SI (personal section).

Chad

BrianW
06-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Sounds to me like the other Supply Sargent was negligent in his duties, during a deployment to a hostile environment.

He ought to get busted, but will probably come back with a Bronze Star with Valor Device.

oznabrag
06-17-2011, 11:11 PM
I was never in the army but had to get supplies from warehouses for constrution supplies.

Why would you ask a clerk to fork up a screw?

That's sort a personal thing, don't you agree?

Besides, it's not the sort of thing you'd really want to fork up, is it?

Sometimes I read your posts, and I get awful confused.

bobbys
06-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Why would you ask a clerk to fork up a screw?

That's sort a personal thing, don't you agree?

Besides, it's not the sort of thing you'd really want to fork up, is it?

Sometimes I read your posts, and I get awful confused..

Hey, they never let you work the lemonade stand...