PDA

View Full Version : Do you use TOR? Better reconsider

Tylerdurden
06-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Onion Routing Not Tor Is a Lie
A sends:
Contrary to claims of some Tor Project developers, Tor -- the software itself -- was indeed actively developed by the US Navy.
Check for yourself from a Linux command-line:
$ git clone git://git.torproject.org/tor.git
$ cd tor
$ git log | grep navy.mil | uniq -c
46 Author: Paul Syverson <syverson@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
15 Author: Bruce Montrose <montrose@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
See also:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/search?s=Paul+Syverson;st=author https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/search?s=Bruce+Montrose;st=author
46 revisions to the software were made by Paul Syverson while he was working for the Navy, 15 revisions were by Bruce Montrose, also working for the Navy at the same lab.
Another tidbit: Matthew J. Edman also was once a Tor developer. He worked for the Navy too, as a graduate student under supervision of Syverson. He went on to work for NSA, among others.
Roger Dingledine (the lead Tor developer) also once worked for NSA.
The idea that onion routing as a concept is somehow independent from Tor is a lie. The two are one and the same and were developed in harmony.

http://cryptome.org/0004/tor-is-tor.htm

George Jung
06-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I'd second that ?????

I'm concerned - alarmed even - but not sure 'of what'.

Tylerdurden
06-09-2011, 12:21 PM
It was promoted heavily to freedom types and hackers. Many took the bait and recently conspiacy theorists said it was an NSA false front. Once again it seems the conspiracy theorist were right.

http://www.torproject.org/

SMARTINSEN
06-09-2011, 12:23 PM
TOR (https://www.torproject.org/)

BrianY
06-09-2011, 12:24 PM
I ususally rout my onions this way:

I pick up a 3 lb mesh bag in the grocery store, put in in the cart, pay for them them, bag them, put them in my car, drive them home, bring them into the house and store them in the pantry. From there, they are distributed to various work stations and procesed into application-specific portions as needed.

Tylerdurden
06-09-2011, 12:27 PM

I pick up a 3 lb mesh bag in the grocery store, put in in the cart, pay for them them, bag them, put them in my car, drive them home, bring them into the house and store them in the pantry. From there, they are distributed to various work stations and procesed into application-specific portions as needed.

Considering your a lead programmer/brain washer for the system its no wonder your trying to be funny. Don't sweat it I know the people at large will have the last laugh and you academics selling crap to our children will be out of a job.

Captain Intrepid
06-09-2011, 12:27 PM

I prefer to select my onions individually. It costs more, but you end up with higher quality ingredients. If there's anything worth paying a bit more for, it's better food.

botebum
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
I sort my onions by color.
White, Red, Yellow, etc.
Am I a vegetable racist?

Doug

Nicholas Carey
06-09-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm worried...NOT. Tor is opensource. Anybody can submit changes. Further, submitted changes get vetted by other developers.

If you follow Tyler Durden's link to GitHub, you can examine the deltas for the changes made by these two guys. The one guy did some work on documentation. The other guy submitted some [apparently minor] changes 9 years ago having to do with parsing options off the command line.

Here's a hint: there are more than a million people in the US military (and even more civilians working for the DoD. Most of those probably have a *.mil email address. Very few of these people are spooks. If the spooks were having people add spyware to the TOR codebase, you'd think they'd be smart enough to...oh...use email addresses from a domain other than .mil. Email addresses are not exactly hard to come by.

Sheesh.

BrianY
06-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Considering your a lead programmer/brain washer for the system its no wonder your trying to be funny. Don't sweat it I know the people at large will have the last laugh and you academics selling crap to our children will be out of a job.

three comments:

First, it is incredibly funny that you should accuse me of being a "Lead programmer/brain washer' as I am not in any position to educate or brainwash anyone. I am not a teacher of any kind, so unless all of you wonderful people on this forum are particularly suceptible to the spellbinding allure of my rantings here, I sincerly doubt that I will be 'brainwashing" anyone.

Second, it strikes me that Pol Pot and his Khmer Rouge buddies had a similar attitude towards academics. You should be honored to be in such fine company.

Third, you really need to learn to laugh at yourself and see humour in the world. To quote an internet post on the subject:

The ability to laugh at one's self, requires detachment - i.e. - looking at yourself as someone else would - in order to see the discrepancies in your situation. As long as one there is only one perspective, there is no humor. It is only when another perspective is added that there is humor because then there is more than one interpretation of what happened, of reality. Different perspectives reveal shortcomings, discrepancies, fallacies, absurdities that amuse. It is always easier to laugh at another because we automatically have a different perspective when we look at someone else. It is much more difficult to laugh at ourselves because that requires detachment, i.e. disassociation from the self. It is good to laugh at one's self because we only laugh when there are two clashing perspectives. Once you laugh, you have succeeded in detaching yourself from the situation and looking at it another way, that reveal the limitations of one perspective by comparing it to another. This detachment frees us because once you see the discrepancies, mistakes, absurdity of the situation, you are no longer limited by it. Laughter helps free us by giving us greater perspective

to which I would add that it will also help to prevent you from being perceived as an insufferable and tedious bore.

Tylerdurden
06-09-2011, 12:58 PM
No Problemo teach. It's been mentioned more than once by your opposition here that there is only a few posters who pop up to discount my every thread. People get wise after a while and understand what is going on and the ideology of the same posters. Keep up the good work because in the end you all do more for me than what you perceive to be the case.

BrianY
06-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Unfortunately my government employers only allow me so much time to spend discrediting you. There are many others on other forums that are also on my assigment list and I cannot devote more time and attention to your posts.

You really should try that humor thing. You seem to be developing a pretty strong persecution complex. Seriously dude, stop taking yourself so seriously. No one else does.

BrianY
06-09-2011, 01:46 PM
dude keep this sh!t up and i could be spellbound for

maybe a minute

A whole minute?! I am honored!

htom
06-09-2011, 03:19 PM
That the military was interested in onion routing, both as a thing to use and a target to attack, should not be news to anyone with a reasonable mind. Condemning TOR because military people made contributions without looking at those contributions and what happened to them just reveals a total ignorance of the open source development process. I'd be much more concerned about some of the "private" implementations of onion routing; you don't know who contributed at all!

katey
06-09-2011, 04:24 PM
no no hats off to you good sir not many from your state could slip into conservative mindset and rite the way you did yesterday

Milo? Did you get hit on the head? Come in, Milo?!