PDA

View Full Version : e-mail

ishmael
06-08-2011, 01:04 PM
When my computer crashed a couple of months back it swallowed my hotmail account. It still won't let me in. A friend recommended G-mail, but that's not liking how I jump the hoops either.

Suggestions?

Paul Pless
06-08-2011, 01:10 PM
your putr has NOTHING to do with it, unless, for some reason, it's locking out access to the net.Well he's posting here, so. . . . . . that's probably not it either.

bobbys
06-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Sorry, but NOTHING your computer could have done to 'swallow' (what the hell does THAT mean?) your Hotmail account. Hotmail is a hosted web service... you can access your hotmail from any computer that has Internet access... same as G-mail... your putr has NOTHING to do with it, unless, for some reason, it's locking out access to the net..

Gee Norm don't get mad about it he is just asking

Bruce Hooke
06-08-2011, 01:23 PM
If you can tell us what exactly Hotmail is doing when it "won't let you in" or what gmail is doing that is causing you problems we may be able to help you. If I were in your shoes I'd certainly do my best to get gmail to work since it seems to work well for so many people.

SMARTINSEN
06-08-2011, 01:25 PM
tAKE OFF THE CAPS LOCK.

botebum
06-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Jack, as Norman was trying to tell you, as long as you know your email addy and your password, you should be able to access your account.
That said, you are on dial-up, which is slow and your computer probably hasn't been properly "cleaned up" in a while. Both these issues are hurting you.
Even when I was on dial-up I was able to download video with some patience. You claim that you can't watch video at all.
I think it's more of a computer problem than a dial-up problem.
Might be time for a new machine if you can afford it or a wipe and reload if you can't.

Doug

yzer
06-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Maybe you just lost your Hotmail password. Hotmail should have a link for password recovery. They will issue a temporary password, but you need to establish another email account to receive it.

ishmael
06-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm telling you my hotmail account is gone. I opened a new one, but can't access the old one, no matter how I massage it. So yes, swallowed by cyberspace.

yzer
06-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Having an ISP with a mail server and using Outlook or Windows Live Mail has it's advantages. I've been through several computers (including crashed hard drives and failed motherboards) and never lost mail. I have hosted email too, but mainly so that I can throw an email address at businesses without giving them my real address.

cs
06-08-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't doubt that your hotmail account is screwed up, but it is not because you had problems with your computer.

Go to this link (http://explore.live.com/windows-live-hotmail-help-center) to fix your account.

Chad

Paul Pless
06-08-2011, 03:48 PM
jack, i can help, pm me your email address and password and i'll log-in from here and see what's up. . .

Tylerdurden
06-08-2011, 03:51 PM
I was just trying to straighten him out... not 'mad' in the least bit.

+1 funny. You try and straighten everyone out with your twisted speech. Maybe he isn't listening like the rest of us.

Bruce Taylor
06-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Hotmail is a hosted web service... you can access your hotmail from any computer that has Internet access... same as G-mail... your putr has NOTHING to do with it

Mostly true, but don't forget that some kinds of resident malware send out mailings from the user's hotmail and gmail accounts. The infection could well have been present on his own system.

I received one of those messages this morning, actually. A spambot gained access to good friend's hotmail account, and is sending out junk messages, promoting some "work at home" scam. It is quite possible that the malware is operating from one of his own computers.

When hotmail suspects that such a thing is occurring, they will close down the account (see "Why is my account temporarily blocked," in Chad's link).

cs
06-08-2011, 04:03 PM
You are right Bruce, Hotmail will temporarily close an account if it has been hacked and is sending out malware. I've had a hotmail account forever and somehow that happened with it. It was just a junk mail account and it was no big deal. However using the link above I contacted Hotmail and got it fixed and it is now back active.

Chad

SMARTINSEN
06-08-2011, 04:08 PM
jack, i can help, pm me your email address and password and i'll log-in from here and see what's up. . .
To paraphrase Glen, you're just no damned good.

SchoonerRat
06-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I haven't used Hotmail for years, but I remember a policy that would lock out your account after a set time of inactivity. Is it possible that you went for a number of weeks without logging in to Hotmail?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-08-2011, 08:37 PM
+1 funny. You try and straighten everyone out with your twisted speech. Maybe he isn't listening like the rest of us.

Oh, it's obvious you haven't listened for a very long time. Did you fall down and hit your head as a kid?