PDA

View Full Version : Just a twist of the wrist

cs
06-07-2011, 08:23 PM
and you shoot down the road like a rocket.

Call me crazy, call me reckless, call me what you will, but that, to me, is riding. Hell if I just wanted the wind in my hair I would get a convertible.

Not knocking cruising riding, but nothing beats a swift kick in the pants when you twist your wrist (and still be able to maintain some semblance of control).

I love the way a good sharp chopper looks and I love nice looking bike, regardless of what type of bike it is. But I really love being able to open it up a bit.

Yeah I ain't right in the head, but that is who I be.

Chad

Michael D. Storey
06-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I have a Boy like that. Came east on his Madura and sed he slowed down to 90 in West Texas to save gas.

Paul Pless
06-07-2011, 08:26 PM
I remember driving on some phenomenal roads between Chattanooga and Knoxville in my Corvette when I visited you. Careful though, lane discipline is important and keep it shiny side up please. . .

stumpbumper
06-07-2011, 08:28 PM
If I just wanted the wind in my hair, hell I'd have to get a transplant. But I know what your talking about with that twist-of-the-wrist. Nothing like it.

cs
06-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Paul there are some fantastic roads around here for riding bikes on, but you are right lane discipline is extremely important. And that video on the SR/JR threads gets my heart a thumping. Of course I don't have any misconceptions about riding like that, but I do love to twist it open and get that instant gratification.

I had just gotten back from a quick ride when I posted this and there were a few times I twisted it open a little bit.

Chad

Waddie
06-07-2011, 08:41 PM
and you shoot down the road like a rocket.

Call me crazy, call me reckless, call me what you will, but that, to me, is riding. Hell if I just wanted the wind in my hair I would get a convertible.

Not knocking cruising riding, but nothing beats a swift kick in the pants when you twist your wrist (and still be able to maintain some semblance of control).

I love the way a good sharp chopper looks and I love nice looking bike, regardless of what type of bike it is. But I really love being able to open it up a bit.

Yeah I ain't right in the head, but that is who I be.

Chad\

That's why I ride a Yamaha VMax.

regards,
Waddie

ishmael
06-07-2011, 08:46 PM
A recommendation: Get a foil and find a fencing partner. So much of it is in the wrist.

cs
06-07-2011, 09:01 PM
I ain't even going to try and figure out how you got there, unless of course you are trying to mess with my head.

Chad

Memphis Mike
06-07-2011, 09:14 PM
I just came in from a ride on the V Star tonight. Didn't go over forty and loved every minute of it.

cs
06-08-2011, 02:17 PM
And there ain't nothing wrong with that. In fact I also enjoy just cruising and to each his own. But I really do love the thrill of acceleration with control.

Chad

S.V. Airlie
06-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Next Chad, you're gonna have a leather jacket, tattoos, long hair, and a beer gut...Be careful! :)

cs
06-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Already got the leather jacket and tatoos. Army says I can't have the long hair and mother nature says no to the beer gut.

Norm I can hit 90mph+ pretty quick and then it is all about breaks.

Chad

Waddie
06-08-2011, 03:20 PM
My favorite stretch to open it up is any long uphill highway on ramp. Hang on, hit the VBoost and rattle your eyeballs. I agree with Norman that acceleration is more fun than top speed, but both are a great experience. I keep wearing out rear tires, so since the new rear went on, I've made a pledge to tone it down a little.

regards,
Waddie

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Fast is a thing that comes in a lot of different flavours.

Back when I used to clock 40K miles per annum, my default cruising speed was 85, much faster and 1 - you attract unwanted attention, 2 - the wind blast becomes an issue - so this isn't fast, it's just getting along.

Ton thirty five between dry stone walls - now that can feel fast - as can sixty with a decent chance of a sheep wandering across the road - or thirty on polished granite cobbles in the wet.

But for a proper white-knuckle trip try a twenty ton truck on a two thousand foot descent at an average gradient of one in five - with crappy tarmac and sheep - forty feels far too freakin' fast.

Paul Pless
06-08-2011, 04:36 PM
sheep? the welsh equivalent to deer here in the states??

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-08-2011, 04:50 PM
The sheep as an animal has a single purpose in life - it is "To Die" - and if at all possible to take an honour guard with it.

So it lies in wait by the side of the road hoping some day to ambush some unsuspecting bi-ped - or mo-ped - or common-or-garden motorcycle. Then with flawless timing it leaps into the path of the oncoming machine - causing its own death and other mayhem.

The expert rider will hold his course - and if lucky enough - continue relatively unscathed - see Jimmy Guthrie's 1932 tale from the Island.

Paul Pless
06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
The sheep as an animal has a single purpose in life - it is "To Die" It seems that I may have heard that certain antipodeans have found other 'purposes' for sheep.

S.V. Airlie
06-08-2011, 05:27 PM
The sheep as an animal has a single purpose in life - it is "To Die" - and if at all possible to take an honour guard with it.

So it lies in wait by the side of the road hoping some day to ambush some unsuspecting bi-ped - or mo-ped - or common-or-garden motorcycle. Then with flawless timing it leaps into the path of the oncoming machine - causing its own death and other mayhem.

The expert rider will hold his course - and if lucky enough - continue relatively unscathed - see Jimmy Guthrie's 1932 tale from the Island. I'm gonna quote this again..Hand made sign on a Scottish road..

" remember, sheep have no road sense."

Reynard38
06-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Cornering is what I like. And there is plenty of it in N. GA, TN, and Western north Carolina.

Memphis Mike
06-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I've had my Star up to 80 on the expressway and when 80 ain't fast enough it's time to stop riding on the expressway. It's down right scary when your going that fast on a bike and some A Hole in an SUV is climbing up your tailpipe.

Paul Pless
06-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Cornering is what I like. And there is plenty of it in N. GA, TN, and Western north Carolina.So you live close to Road Atlanta and your log-in is Reynard, and you post stuff like the above. . . . . .is it too far fetched for me to conclude that you own an open wheel formula car?