PDA

View Full Version : Mac is not immune to computer viruses



yzer
05-26-2011, 12:48 PM
The people who write computer viruses are paying more attention to Apple products now.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/228727/mac_malware_is_back_your_move_apple.html

boatbuddha
05-26-2011, 12:51 PM
The people who write computer viruses are paying more attention to Apple products now.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/228727/mac_malware_is_back_your_move_apple.html

Malware and virus are two different things.

SMARTINSEN
05-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Emily and Joe(CSOH) will be devastated to learn this, I hope that they are well prepared. Best to have a Windows machine as a backup:p

yzer
05-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Malware and virus are two different things.But the result is the same.

ramillett
05-26-2011, 02:05 PM
I have got viruses on my Mac before , all you do is reset safari and your back to new , no files harmed .

Old Dryfoot
05-26-2011, 02:32 PM
No system is 100% immune, sorry Mac fans.

elf
05-26-2011, 05:05 PM
It's been out and about for a couple weeks and Apple has already released 2 levels of fixes. At first you had to be stupid enough to believe that you needed malware protection, then you had to be stupid enough to have Safari set to auto launch if you downloaded, then you had to be stupid enough to put in your admin password to actually install.

Just this morning I understand the writers have figured out how to bypass the autolaunch and the admin password.

Now it's gets serious.

elf
05-26-2011, 06:01 PM
No system is 100% immune, sorry Mac fans.

No half knowledgable Mac user has ever claimed they were.

elf
05-26-2011, 06:02 PM
I have got viruses on my Mac before , all you do is reset safari and your back to new , no files harmed .

Unless you've gotten them on your PC side or been downloading porn from the bittorrent sites, you haven't.

OconeePirate
05-26-2011, 06:04 PM
"dscacheutil -flushcache" is enough to take care of the most annoying thing that has found its way into my Mac to date, but my version of OSX is old enough that its starting to become problematic anyway, so the Mac Mini is close to becoming a Linux machine sometime soon. Then I can look down my nose at everyone!

seanz
05-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Aren't Apples susceptible to worms?











No?

willmarsh3
05-26-2011, 08:43 PM
I believe Mac to be more secure than Windows these days but I'm not at all surprised that there are possible exploits for Mac. Apple does frequently push out software updates. At present I'm loading Safari 5.0.5, Remote Desktop Client Update 3.4, Mac OS X Update Combined. I think it's a pretty good bet that some of these updates are security related.

peb
05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
I believe Mac to be more secure than Windows these days but I'm not at all surprised that there are possible exploits for Mac. Apple does frequently push out software updates. At present I'm loading Safari 5.0.5, Remote Desktop Client Update 3.4, Mac OS X Update Combined. I think it's a pretty good bet that some of these updates are security related.

I don't. At its core, its a Unix spin-off. Lots of experience in a past life with Unix systems, and the code of the communications stacks. I have always felt its just a matter of people not taking the time to attack macs.

Old Dryfoot
05-27-2011, 03:26 PM
...I have always felt its just a matter of people not taking the time to attack macs.

A bang on assessment. The people that write them do so for maximum effect, if you want your ego stroked your going to attack the 88% windows desktop monopoly and not the other 12%.