PDA

View Full Version : Separation of church and state-in the schools

genglandoh
05-24-2011, 12:44 PM
I have been thinking about how many countries with public schools systems also have separation of church and state.

One of the big issues why the protestants in Northern Ireland did not want to join Ireland is because Ireland's schools are run by the Catholic Church.

It looks like Israel also has a religion run school system.

Does anyone know what other countries also have religion run school systems?

Peerie Maa
05-24-2011, 01:38 PM
The UK has both, Faith based schools and secular. The faith based are normally Grant aided (http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_561509415/grant-aided_school.html)

skuthorp
05-24-2011, 03:58 PM
The UK has both, Faith based schools and secular. The faith based are normally Grant aided (http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_561509415/grant-aided_school.html)

Same aplies here, but there is a controversy running as the State funds a chapliancy programme supposedly non prostheletysing but staffed by a christian organisation. In Victoria this is compounded by the requirement that "may" in the legislation means "must" in the application and children opting out are not permitted any other activity. The minister is a product of and ex-teacher in the catholic education system. There are no professional qualifications required for this teaching position and other faiths do not get the same access. Very dodgy, if you ask me the minister seems to have other masters than the voters.

genglandoh
05-24-2011, 04:29 PM
In most cases the US, Canada (except maybe Quebec) and the UK the schools are run by the Government and religion is mostly kept out of the public class room.
But some democratic countries like Ireland a religion is in charge of the schools and religion is in the class room.

I brought this up because I was wondering maybe this was one of the problems in Israel forcing Arabs to go to Jewish schools.

Cuyahoga Chuck
05-24-2011, 04:45 PM
I have been thinking about how many countries with public schools systems also have separation of church and state.

One of the big issues why the protestants in Northern Ireland did not want to join Ireland is because Ireland's schools are run by the Catholic Church.

It looks like Israel also has a religion run school system.

Does anyone know what other countries also have religion run school systems?

In Europe governments have been dodgey about letting religion into a position of prominence since the Thirty-Years War. That is also why our founding fathers opted for separation of government from religion. Religious wars seem to be overly frequent, nasty and never ending.
In more recent times a cap is put on the power of religion by making all clergy employees of the state.
Israel's religious schools are a sop to the religious right who have there own political parties. The orthodox also get other benefits like exemption from military service and government subsidies for men as long as they are enrolled in a yeshiva. Some othodox men stay in school and live out their years on the dole. But overall the majority of Israelis pay there due to religion but are not active practicioners of their faith.
Likewise in Western Europe the active practice of religion is fading except among immigrant communities. I think you could apply that to present day Ireland. The grip of the Catholic Church on Irish society has been broken by revelations of crimes covered up by the Catholic hierarchy.

PhaseLockedLoop
05-24-2011, 04:53 PM
. milk, in a 4 oz carton, was 2 cents.... for a while, it dropped to 1 cent. A school lunch was 35 cents. I remember having to bring in money for a subscription to the 'Weekly Reader'... Such an innocent time!

The 2-cent milk was a government program to support the dairy industry. The Weekly Reader was a genuine right-wing publication: I first read about the travails of Dr. Tom Dooley against the fiends of Vietnam in my Weekly Reader "news" section.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-24-2011, 04:55 PM
In most cases the US, Canada (except maybe Quebec) and the UK the schools are run by the Government and religion is mostly kept out of the public class room......

This is absolutely untrue for the UK.

genglandoh
05-24-2011, 04:57 PM
This is absolutely untrue for the UK.
please explain.