PDA

View Full Version : Alert from your favorite Vulcanist, Iceland agian

ChaseKenyon
05-23-2011, 03:10 AM
AP may 22 2011

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/icelandic-volcano-eruption-closes-airport/2011/05/22/AFkn4J9G_video.html?wprss=rss_homepage

Bigger Icelandic eruption, but less airline angst
May 23, 2011 By JILL LAWLESS and GUDJON HELGASON , Associated Press
articlecomments (0)share

Enlarge

http://cdn.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/2011/biggericelan.jpg
In this photo taken on Saturday, May 21, 2011, smoke plumes from the Grimsvotn volcano, which lies under the Vatnajokull glacier, about 120 miles, (200 kilometers) east of the capital, Rejkjavik, which began erupting Saturday for the first time since 2004. Iceland closed its main international airport and canceled domestic flights Sunday as a powerful volcanic eruption sent a plume of ash, smoke and steam 12 miles (20 kilometers) into the air. (AP Photo/Jon Gustafsson) ICELAND OUT
(AP) -- An Icelandic volcano was flinging ash, smoke and steam miles (kilometers) into the air Sunday, dropping a thick layer of gray soot in an eruption far more forceful - but likely far less impactful - than the one that grounded planes across Europe last year. Yeah and I can sell you abridge in Arizona.
Ads by Google
W
The country's main airport was closed and pilots were warned to steer clear of Iceland as areas close to the Grimsvotn (GREEMSH-votn) volcano were plunged into darkness. But scientists said another widespread aviation shutdown is unlikely, in part because the ash from this eruption is coarser and falling to Earth more quickly.

Provew it!!! It ain't done yet it culd just have given us a prelude.
The volcano, which lies beneath the ice of the uninhabited Vatnajokull glacier in southeast Iceland, began erupting Saturday for the first time since 2004. It was the volcano's largest eruption in 100 years.
The ash from Grimsvotn - about 120 miles (200 kilometers) east of the capital, Reykjavik - turned the sky black Sunday and rained down on nearby buildings, cars and fields. Civil protection workers helped farmers get their animals into shelter and urged residents to wear masks and stay indoors. No ash fell on the capital.
Scientists said the eruption was unlikely to have the same global impact as last year's eruption 80 miles (130 kilometers) away at the Eyjafjallajokull (pronounced ay-yah-FYAH-lah-yer-kuhl) volcano, which left 10 million travelers stranded around the world.
"It is not likely to be anything on the scale that was produced last year when the Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupted," University of Iceland geophysicist Pall Einarsson told The Associated Press. "That was an unusual volcano, an unusual ash size distribution and unusual weather pattern, which all conspired together to make life difficult in Europe."
Still, Icelandic air traffic control operator ISAVIA established a 120 nautical mile (220 kilometer) no-fly zone around the volcano, closed Keflavik airport, the country's main hub, and canceled all domestic flights. It said Keflavik would stay shut until at least noon Monday, canceling about 40 international flights.
Trans-Atlantic planes - including Air Force One, due to carry President Barack Obama to Ireland later Sunday - were told to stay away from Iceland.

red is caution purple is my comments as usual.

EWD

ChaseKenyon
05-23-2011, 03:20 AM
latest as of 5 minutes ago.

YKJAVIK | Mon May 23, 2011 1:20pm IST
(Reuters) - An eruption by Iceland's most active volcano was set to keep the island's main airport shut on Monday, while other European nations watched for any impact on their air routes from a towering plume of smoke and ash.

and more from Reuters,

So far Iceland, particularly the towns and villages to the south and east of the Grimsvotn volcano, has suffered most.

Day turned into night when a thick cloud of ash descended on the area, smothering cars and buildings.

The cloud had also begun to drift over the capital Reykjavik by late Sunday evening and the civil aviation authority said the prospects for re-opening the main international airport on Monday were not good.

Europe's air traffic control organisation warned on its website that ash could spread southwards.

"Ash cloud is expected to reach North Scotland on Tuesday 24th May. If volcanic emissions continue with same intensity, cloud might reach west French airspace and north Spain on Thursday 26th May," Eurocontrol said in a traffic bulletin.

The agency, which set up a crisis unit after bad coordination was blamed for worsening last year's crisis, said no closures outside Iceland were expected on Monday or Tuesday.

Airlines as far away as Australia said they were monitoring the situation after travel and freight disruption rippled across the globe and cost the industry some $1.7 billion last year.

Just telling y'all.

I am back out of here as I am having medical probs along with running out of lenses and the doc wanting my eyes clear for new prescrition procedure. I got some cast iron rust dust in one eye cleaning the big summer dining porch camp cooker and monster gas grill up .

So I am back to watching video. Just had to jpass this one along.

EWD

ishmael
05-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Chase, it's volcanologist, unless you are studying Spock's tribe.

Um, yeah, Iceland, oddly enough, is a hot spot. The last time this happened it disrupted things for quite a few weeks in Europe. We make plans and nature decides.

ChaseKenyon
05-24-2011, 05:17 AM
First BBC America this AM was broadcasting 250 to 300 flights cancelled in Northern Europe, and an expected 200 to 300 more by noon. They all keep saying it is heavier ash and will not be as bad as last year which was largely caused by an unusual Ir flow in the atmosphere.

Yet the time from eruption to flight cancellations is shorter and that is with the new standards which are 100 to 200% more lenient than last years.

I am not a believer, I work with facts and past repeated documented performance and probabilities.

It could be worse than last year. A Jet engine can flush just so much particulates as a percentage of fuel by the pound due to non combustibility. Plus "as a bonus?"The larger (like this eruption) the particulates the harder it is for a jet engine to flush them as part of the burn of fuel.

So If the particles are so much larger and drop out of the atmosphere 20 % faster due to larger size, how much more dangerous are the same larger particulates in terms of what the jet engine can not flush and burn.. So maybe we get a 20
% faster particulate drop out. But what if the other 80% is enough courser that it is 20% more likely to not flush but shut down a jet engine? You do the math on this one cause It is not good and I will not be responsible for blowing mega holes in the media attempt to curb panic.

as to your post Jack,
officially yes, Jack, good point, but as you and I have talked one on one , sometimes I just go with the local colloquial variant..

There are only Two people in this town who are actually aware and familiar with my international engineering background. There are another 5 to 10 tops who actually know about me and my proven polymath background and even less my think tank and Renaissance man background which includes art of painting and designing 4 by 5 ft shields and such for car clubs and boy scout and explorer scout troops which are still in use 15 to 30 years later, and extends to welding perfect joints on steel structure beams of ten story buildings and Certification as a NASA solderer (space ready for the Shuttles electronic assemblies)and welder (for fixtures for the shuttles) and more.....

I kind of like it that way. There are those few who know they can count on me but do not take that opportunity for help lightly. Usually I stay in the background and only advise on how they can fix things. I am retired after 35 years of being the "fixer" for manufacturing, robotics, vision, Tectonic slip caused magnetic field disruptions (plotting magnetic deviations here in Bradford for 28 years), politics, ecological disasters, wildlife disasters, and my friends' never ending automotive nightmares. And I can not even start on the Gov't stuff........as you well know.

I no longer have to answer all chivalrous and proper challenges to me and to those I am bound to protect by my perceived duty.

I am retired from that life. I do stay up to date as it were but only fight battles of my choosing and on my terms and playing field.

I owe the bilge team a few posts on the climate thing but am recovering from a really bad two weeks physically and with family , emotionally. I promised to answer and I will Howa.

EWD

P.S. see my sweet cute hot lady eye doc this afternoon so I hope for new lenses and am going to enjoy seeing her. There are so few of us even now in the 21st Century who were raised in a (as my daughter and the other modern folks say) PolyAmorous environment. My folks just did it and Heinlein detailed it,and the wife and I kept the tradition and passed it on to our Children. Don't know if it went back as far into the 1800s as Heinlein wrote, but with my family and the cousins becoming siblings and such all around I would not be one bit surprised. And yes if you have read Robert Heinlein's books and are familiar with the families, all my parents and grandparents and great grandparents, and even great great grandparents Going back to the early 1600s in Wales, the New England Famous Colonial "Bonesetter Sweets" and Scotland ( with both the Home Lords of the northern Marches, and the Chases as healers and game keepers for millennia, ) and the same history as healers in the Iroquois nations by my maternal Onandaga, Tsalagi, and Mohawk grand and great grandparents and some paternal grandfathers as well have all lived into and beyond their late 80s.:D:D:D

ChaseKenyon
05-24-2011, 05:48 AM
AS t my choice of label Vo or Vu are the same just from different dialects.

Vulcanist
One who supports the Vulcanian or Plutonian theory, which ascribes the changes on the earth's surface to the agency of fire. These theorists say the earth was once in a state of igneous fusion, and that the crust has gradually cooled down to its present temperature.
Read more: Vulcanist — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/dictionary/brewers/vulcanist.html#ixzz1NGUcFf3V

http://www.infoplease.com/dictionary/brewers/vulcanist.html

and from the real source used by the academia elite,

Vol´can`ist
n. 1. One versed in the history and phenomena of volcanoes.
2. One who believes in the igneous, as opposed to the aqueous, origin of the rocks of the earth's crust; a vulcanist. Cf. Neptunist.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, published 1913 by C. & G. Merriam Co.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Volcanist

olcanist

Vol"can*ist\, n. [Cf. F. volcaniste, vulcaniste.]
1. One versed in the history and phenomena of volcanoes.
2. One who believes in the igneous, as opposed to the aqueous, origin of the rocks of the earth's crust; a vulcanist. Cf. Neptunist.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
Cite This Source

I used to study the geology of Volcanoes. (That is a vulcanologist*) For the last 30 some odd years I have mostly studied (as an interest not even as much as a hobby)_ history and phenomena of volcanoes.. Phenomena ranging fro high altitude cloud particulates that take years to fall out, and to the generation of lightening and static electrical release tens of times greater than an EF5 can be expected to produce.

My choice of personal label Jack is very accurate and is the one proper best single scientific description of my study and interest.

I don't see your connection to Mr. Spock for my subject of interest, although some of my friends are TRekkies and have given me "Vulcan Science Academy sticker" for each new to me car I acquire.

EWD

Volcanologist - John Seach

What is a Volcanologist?
A Volcanologist is a person who studies volcanoes. Chemistry and physics are the sciences which study active volcanoes. Geology is used to study inactive volcanoes.

What does a Volcanologist do?
A Volcanologist uses scientific principles to study volcanoes.

Where does a Volcanologist Work?
The basis of the discipline is the collection of observations in the field. The observation of volcanic eruptions and volcanic phenomenon are then used in volcanology research. A single observation made by an observer in the field can have enormous scientific implications and advance the scientific filed of volcanology. Volcanologists work in a number of different areas:
1) In the field collecting data and observing.
2) In an office or laboratory writing reports and conducting experiments.
3) Volcanologist also work in tourism, and media, educating the public.

What Types of People Travel to Volcanoes?
Scientists do not have the sole privelage on volcanoes. In fact they make up the smallest group of people visiting these beautiful areas. Volcanoes are the domain of the traveller, journalist, film-maker, poet, painter, farmer, resident, administrator, adventurer, and dreamer...

"Observational volcanology may seem old-fashioned today but remains one of the most stimulating endeavors I know." D. Swanson.

About John Seach - Volcanologist
How to Become a Volcanologist