PDA

View Full Version : Al-Jazeera proramme on bin Laden - excellent

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-21-2011, 08:58 AM
This is long but worth it.

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/general/2011/05/201151014338715787.html

McMike
05-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Isn't it funny that I'm afraid that I will end up on some list within the bowels of the CIA, NSA, or FBI, if I look at the link on Al Jazeera . . . . I seriously won't go to those sites even though I recognise them as a lagitimate news site. It feels irrational but not enough to risk it. I know, stupid . . .:o

perldog007
05-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Isn't it funny that I'm afraid that I will end up on some list within the bowels of the CIA, NSA, or FBI, if I look at the link on Al Jazeera . . . . I seriously won't go to those sites even though I recognise them as a lagitimate news site. It feels irrational but not enough to risk it. I know, stupid . . .:o

Not taking action is an action. I'm on all the lists I'm sure. Reading WND, Jpost, Huffpo, Al-jazeera and others shame on any superspy that doesn't have a file on me.

Y Bar Ranch
05-21-2011, 10:32 AM
No worries. While forward deployed we had Al Jazeera up 24/7 in our mil work spaces.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-21-2011, 11:52 AM

SHAME ON YOU!!:mad:

Never, ever, thought I would see such sentiments coming from an American citizen.

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.

Benjamin Frankin, as you certainly know.:mad:

I really don't think that a news service that employs Sir David Frost is any sort of a threat to the USA. They are owned by Qatar, the USA's favourite Arab ally (the only ones who sent planes to Libya) and are so biassed in favour of democracy and human rights that you really have to apply a discount to their reporting.

I know where you get your worries from, though.

My own employers use a standard workplace internet filter that labels Al-Jazeera a "hate site". This I take to be a hangover from the days of the Bushbaby. When one of the ships I manage was diverted to Libya to pick up refugees I had to get it disabled in order to find out what was going on.

Go and find yourself a backbone.

McMike
05-21-2011, 12:14 PM
No worries. While forward deployed we had Al Jazeera up 24/7 in our mil work spaces.

Know thy enemy?

yzer
05-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Isn't it funny that I'm afraid that I will end up on some list within the bowels of the CIA, NSA, or FBI, if I look at the link on Al Jazeera . . . . I seriously won't go to those sites even though I recognise them as a lagitimate news site. It feels irrational but not enough to risk it. I know, stupid . . .:oI understand your caution, but...(LOL) Al Jazeera was originally established as a middle eastern service of the BBC. The AJ style of reporting and even the "look" of AJ bears a strong resemblance to BBC World News. I've watched AJ on TV and online safely for years.

yzer
05-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Know thy enemy?AJ has it's bias (all news agencies do) but their coverage of events in the middle east is often the best available. I'd say that the bias is liberal Saudi Prince/woman.

McMike
05-21-2011, 12:26 PM
SHAME ON YOU!!:mad: . . .
Go and find yourself a backbone.

You are, of course, right. But what advantage would I gain by getting a backbone or educating myself at all about the actions of my government? I see none, I see a country that likes to be violent and likes to be right about being wrong, I see a country that is blind, ignorant and in that, happy in their unadulterated hatred and stupidity. So . . . Why should I continue to give a sh17? The cards are stacked, voting for someone I would not have chosen as a candidate to begin with is unacceptable, and entering the fray only to be silenced because I'm right is unacceptable. We are a country of cowards or thieves, the very few who aren't can do nothing to stop them.

Let's pretend I had a backbone and that I didn't have a family to protect and provide for, what good does getting on the government's sh17 list do me when the knowledge I would gain is useless to me anyway. Those who have the big guns and money win . . . especially when the people they hurt and take advantage of are too stupid to see it nevermind do something about it.

No thanks.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-21-2011, 12:28 PM
AJ has it's bias (all news agencies do) but their coverage of events in the middle east is often the best available. I'd say that the bias is liberal Saudi Prince/woman.

:dY>!

By the way, the programme, which runs 45 minutes, is part one of two which set out to recount OBL's life through interviews with men who had met him at various stages in it. The last minute is chilling (cross refer Syed's posts...)

yzer
05-21-2011, 12:33 PM
:dY>!

By the way, the programme, which runs 45 minutes, is part one of two which set out to recount OBL's life through interviews with men who had met him at various stages in it. The last minute is chilling (cross refer Syed's posts...)I'll be watching the program this evening. Thanks for the tip!

McMike
05-21-2011, 12:35 PM
I understand your caution, but...(LOL) Al Jazeera was originally established as a middle eastern service of the BBC. The AJ style of reporting and even the "look" of AJ bears a strong resemblance to BBC World News. I've watched AJ on TV and online safely for years.

AJ has it's bias (all news agencies do) but their coverage of events in the middle east is often the best available. I'd say that the bias is liberal Saudi Prince/woman.

I totally get that it's a stupid and probably unfounded fear, the question is; why do I feel the fear? I'll tell you why, because if it got out that I even peeked at AJ, I'd probably lose my job, however unlikely that scenario is, it is a very real fact. The majority of Americans are so blinded by hatred and are so willfully ignorant that I would be treated like a commie in the 50's. I'd be willing to guess hat there are more than a few Righties here that won't click the link, but for very different reasons.

perldog007
05-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Wait a minute! You're NOT a commie? :D ( sorry, missed my @$$0#0L1C5 anonymous meeting (AGAIN))

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-21-2011, 01:02 PM
I totally get that it's a stupid and probably unfounded fear, the question is; why do I feel the fear? I'll tell you why, because if it got out that I even peeked at AJ, I'd probably lose my job, however unlikely that scenario is, it is a very real fact. The majority of Americans are so blinded by hatred and are so willfully ignorant that I would be treated like a commie in the 50's. I'd be willing to guess hat there are more than a few Righties here that won't click the link, but for very different reasons.

I lived from 1996 until 2001 in Beijing. I often heard these sentiments, but I also knew that many of my friends used illegal software to get round the Great Firewall of China and access the hidden delights of CNN and the BBC.

Seems there is now more freedom in China than in the USA.

Y Bar Ranch
05-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Know thy enemy?
No...it was just a different viewpoint. Know thy people thou art working with. Want to know what is important to them? Watch Al Jazeera.

I read english.aljazeera.net regularly. I'll also let Google translate the Arabic version just to see if they are tailoring for different audiences. Not in general has been my finding.