PDA

View Full Version : Anyone building or built "LIZ" WB # 97

Robert Mann
10-18-2000, 10:23 PM
I would like to talk to someone who is either building or has built LIZ. I just received the plans and have a few questions. Would appreciate some help.

Scott in WV
09-29-2013, 10:17 PM
I realize your post was 13 years ago, but I'm in the same position now having just received the plans.

Any advice you could share based on your experience building Liz?

Thanks,

Scott

JimConlin
09-29-2013, 10:32 PM
I built one in glued lapstrake construction.
http://conlin-boats.com/lola_78d_2.jpg

jpatrick
09-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Jim... How do you think the Liz compares to John Brooks' Peregrine 18? And, did you do your own adaptation of the plans to glued lap or did you follow another?

JimConlin
09-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Jim... How do you think the Liz compares to John Brooks' Peregrine 18? And, did you do your own adaptation of the plans to glued lap or did you follow another?

They're very different boats. First, let's look at the dimensions:
Liz Peregrine 18
LOA 18' 18'2"
LWL ~16' 16'6"
Beam 36" 48"
Depth ~13" 15"
Weight 65#* 110#*

These are very different boats. Liz is strictly a one person pulling boat. The 'passenger' seat that Ken drew is strictly decorative. I'd consider it suitable only for protected waters in mild-moderate conditions. I'd consider the Peregrine 18 to be capable of carrying more of a load and more seaworthy. A much more versatile boat. It'd still be a satisfying pulling boat.

Weights:
My Liz is 65# without the Piantedosi rig. I would not built it that light again. I'd guess that John's 'hull weight' is also without rowing hardware. 110# is a good target.
I built my boat with some guidance from the designer, adding one strake per side. Planking was 4mm. okoume and sheer strakes were 6mm sapele. A 'Tom Hill' style setup helped tame the 4mm planking.

jpatrick
10-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Thank you, Jim, for that analysis and for your opinion. I have the plans for a Peregrine and have finally got time to start it this winter. Still, the Liz has also appealed to me for some time. Seeing it in glued lap makes it even more desirable.

But it is your thoughts on their performance that convinces me that I'm making the right choice with the Brooks boat. I'll probably be rowing solo for the most part but would like to take on an additional rower now and then. (Actually if my wife discovers that she likes rowing, having her aboard would be the best.) The added payload of the peregrine will then be most welcome. As will its inherent stability when I get caught out in a squall or by a passing wake-making numbskull.

Thanks again.