PDA

View Full Version : Fargin chainsaws

mike hanyi
05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
I just talked with a buddy and said i spent over 2 hours swearing at my chainsaw,
he told me he has the same situation, who else can make me feel better and admit their chainsaws are a somanumbatch to start.
my fathers was the same, pull,pull,pull,sweat,remove plug,clean plug, fresh gas, pull pull.....put away untill better mood. why are chainsaws so fargin difficult to start!

ah yes good to remember roman moroni from Johnny Dangerously?

Ian McColgin
05-17-2011, 02:59 PM
All in keeping the motor happy but also in perfecting what might be called the drop-pull where you let the saw's own weight do the heavy work.

Paul Pless
05-17-2011, 03:07 PM
why are chainsaws so fargin difficult to start!Like most two strokes, they start easiest and run best if used often and run at full throttle.

My favorite Stihl gets a workout at least twice a week, sometimes much more often than that. Its never failed to start. . .

TimmS
05-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Mine starts!

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185730_1557641832773_1587060053_1205640_1614584_n. jpg

Paul Pless
05-17-2011, 03:44 PM
i have saw envy

do you ever use that thing tim, not a single scuff on the bar even. . .

skuthorp
05-17-2011, 03:50 PM
My Husky starts but you gotta follow correct procedure. The cheap Chinese one has a different procedure.
Chainsaws were invented to give your vocabulary a workout.

TimmS
05-17-2011, 03:54 PM
i have saw envy

do you ever use that thing tim, not a single scuff on the bar even. . .

That was the day I bought it. Yes, I do use it.

reddog
05-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Mike, check out this site http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/ . By the time you get through you'll have the sucker ported, muffler modded and screaming at 14,500 RPM. Actually loads of information and expertise on maintaining and tweaking a saw for peak performance.

Earl

wardd
05-17-2011, 04:40 PM
squeez bulb 4-6 times set choke

put saw on ground make sure chain is clear

put foot in opening of rear handle, pull rope

in cool weather heat enginer with heat gun or hair dryer, especially carb

pre heating helps when it hasn't been run in a bit

BarnacleGrim
05-17-2011, 04:48 PM
I've been wishing for a proper petrol chainsaw, but now I'm not so sure.

Paul Pless
05-17-2011, 04:56 PM
squeez bulb 4-6 times set choke

put saw on ground make sure chain is clear

put foot in opening of rear handle, pull rope

in cool weather heat enginer with heat gun or hair dryer, especially carb

pre heating helps when it hasn't been run in a bitmany chainsaws have neither priming bulbs nor manual chokes, mine don't. . .

i can't imagine ever having to put my foot through the loop to start one, or using 'the drop pull':D

The Bigfella
05-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Timm - get that bar out of the dirt and grit!

- as for chainsaws.... never, ever use fuel with ethanol.

bobbys
05-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I have a industrial electric Stilh, Most all the time i use that if im near a out let.

I like it i can stop and start it very easy with just pressing the trigger, Hardly any noise and no fumes, No spilling gas, just add earl.

It actually has more torque then a small gas chainsaw..

It was spendy back when i bought it, I also bought a electric husky that's just as good.

I had a tree business.

StevenBauer
05-17-2011, 05:49 PM
- as for chainsaws.... never, ever use fuel with ethanol.

Not a choice here. That's all they sell. :(

Ron Williamson
05-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Run the high speed a bit rich.
Don't skimp on the mixing oil brand.
Mix the gas a tad rich.
Both of my Huskies are into their third decade and neither of them has EVER failed to start in any weather.(Touch wood.)
Third pull with recent use,sixth or seventh after sitting a coupla weeks or months.
R

wardd
Blow dryer?Really?

botebum
05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Husky 345
Pull out choke all the way.
Pull twice and she burps.
push in choke and pull once.
Cut whatever needs to be cut and and put it back in the shop till next time.
I friggen' LOVE my chainsaw!

Doug

Garret
05-17-2011, 06:43 PM
If it's starting that hard, it ain't right. Several Jonsereds & Huskies & all have started as Ron describes: 1-3 pulls if run recently, 6 or 7 if a few weeks.

My experiences with "cheap" (as in low cost to purchase) chains saws is very different though. They are farging nightmares after about 3 months. My last Jonsereds was 25 years old & I'd still be using it if some farging [fill in please] hadn't stolen it. It always started as described above - with new plug every 3 or 4 years at best.

Sam F
05-17-2011, 06:44 PM
These days some small engines don't even have carb adjustments so there's no margin for error if there's a bit of "varnish" in the system. I recommend no ethanol* - if you can get it - and never ever leave gas in the carb for more than a month.

*Look around. There are several gas stations that stock no-ethanol gasoline even here out in the sticks.

Sam F
05-17-2011, 06:46 PM
BTW, I just spend an enjoyable afternoon dismantling my string trimmer carb. I depended on Stabil to protect the little beast. It didn't work apparently. Oh well! the carb kit is only $18 and change + shipping.

botebum
05-17-2011, 06:52 PM
*Look around. There are several gas stations that stock no-ethanol gasoline even here out in the sticks.I've never bothered with ethanol-free gas except for outboards but it makes sense.
Someone here recently posted a link to a list (by state and city) of stations that sell it. Can't remember what thread it was on.

Doug

The Bigfella
05-17-2011, 07:01 PM
My Jonsered is waiting for me to put a new fuel line in. "Someone" put ethanol fuel in it.... No-one in this household buys ethanol fuel now. We run premium unleaded in all engines (and the cylinder count here is over 100 now)... except the three diesels. Surely its easily available there.... no-one with a boat should be running it.

wardd
05-17-2011, 07:09 PM
http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/JOEN/JOEN2010/JOEN2010_1153185-26.pdf

page 19, starting and stoping

Shang
05-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Yes, Paul,
"...Like most two strokes, they start easiest and run best if used often and run at full throttle..."
...and most run if Voodoo is involved.

Phil Y
05-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Echo, easy to start every time

Tealsmith
05-17-2011, 08:42 PM
The experts around here all recommend avation gas for chain saws. It has additives to keep it from gumming up.

Paul Pless
05-17-2011, 08:58 PM
The experts around here all recommend avation gas for chain saws. It has additives to keep it from gumming up.Hmmm. . . well it probably doesn't have ethanol in it which is good. Generally aviation gas has two additives that 'regular' gas doesn't. One, aviation gas is leaded. And two, it has an additive that prevents it from evaporating at high altitude. I'm not aware of any ingredients that prevent it from forming varnish though.

coelacanth2
05-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Short snort of starting fluid. NO SUBTELTY ALLOWED. Brute force only

Going to have to try the avgas thing tho'. All the gas around here has EtOH by law to cut down on emissions and lots of folks have had problems with older vehicles and the like. I don't use enough premix in a year for the cost differential to make a difference to me

BarnacleGrim
05-18-2011, 12:26 AM
I've never bothered with ethanol-free gas except for outboards but it makes sense.
Someone here recently posted a link to a list (by state and city) of stations that sell it. Can't remember what thread it was on.

Doug
I once tried using 85% ethanol in an outboard. I could run it at surprisingly low RPM using ethanol, great for trolling, but high end power suffered significantly. And then it all turned milky and completely clogged the carb.

Mrleft8
05-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Pull the plug. Squirt in some wd-40, and give it a couple pulls. Replace plug and start.

epoxyboy
05-18-2011, 01:54 AM
Mine starts OK, but if I set the idle low enough that the chain doesnt run, no way will it rev up when i pull the trigger - it just bogs down. If the idle is set so the thing is usable, when I put it down, it starts vibrating its way along the ground at around ten feet per minute - and with the chain running continuously it isn't the safest thing on the planet. And in spite of completely cleaning out the entire chain oiling system, no oil arrives ever at the chain, so it needs regular squirts from an oil can.
Maybe thats why it was given to me :-)

Pete

Ron Williamson
05-18-2011, 05:21 AM
Epoxyboy
RTFM or....
Turn out the low speed screw a bit,then turn down the idle.
R

Tom from Rubicon
05-18-2011, 11:00 AM
A bartender I knew Phil Schaller, used to say " if it don't start in three pulls change points ". Myself, all 2-strokes get the Seafoam treatment. One guy I knew insisted on Seafoam in all his fuel to minimize carbon build up. Fargin? Cute.
Tom from Rubicon, WI

Dumah
05-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Be accurate mixing your fuel, overly rich (too much oil) will cause bogging, loss of power and fouled plugs. I've found the higher ratios (40 - 50/1) even more finiky to improper mixtures.

Cheers Dumah,
Halifax, NS

The Bigfella
05-20-2011, 03:02 PM
I bought a 14" bar Makita electric the other day. Works better than I expected

epoxyboy
05-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Epoxyboy
RTFM or....
Turn out the low speed screw a bit,then turn down the idle.
R

This is an old saw that was a dead freebie give-away, and there is no FM to R! The only adjustments (tillotson carby) are the high and low speed mixture screws - there is no separate idle speed adjustment. Having got it to the point where it does A) start reasonably easily and B) actually runs normally at high speed, I am loath to mess with it any more. Fuel/oil ratio might be the problem though. It gets used so infrequently that I alway have to mix up a tiny batch of fuel, which probably gets over oiled.

Pete

Paul Pless
05-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Mike hasn't logged-in, in three days now. . .

Y'all think he's got it cranked yet? or is he varnishing?? or has he had a hemorrhage from pulling the starter cord???