PDA

View Full Version : Seems like a waste ...

mwybo
12-06-2004, 11:48 AM
to mill 8/4 lumber to the required 5/4. Is this the standard procedure when the yard sells only 4/4 and 8/4 rough boards ? Any way around buying all that sawdust ?

I have started my Pooduck, ripped the strips for the stem yesterday. Maybe I should look for 1/8 inch veneer instead of ripping this from boards. Any ideas as to where this might be available ?

Mike

Billy Bones
12-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Since you're using 1/8" strips and your saw blade is around 1/8" you'll be turning half the wood into sawdust no matter what. It is an awfully small couple of pieces to be worrying about too much. Depending on the grain orientation, you might be able to rip 5/4 pieces off an 8/4 plank and then turn them 90deg and rip that way. The nature of building a round thing from square pieces leads to a fair amount of waste.

Bruce Hooke
12-06-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm a bit confused, are you looking for 5/4 lumber or 1/8" lumber, or both?

On 5/4 lumber, many yards do carry that thickness, or if not 5/4 then 6/4, so you might just want to look for a better stocked yard. Or, you could take the 8/4 stuff and feed it through a bandsaw to get 5/4 stock as well as 5/8" stock that you could use someplace else.

On 1/8" veneer -- if you have a bandsaw that you can do the ripping on, then you will not loose that much to waste, so the major savings will be in time. If you have to do the ripping on a tablesaw then you will be loosing a lot more so you might want to try to find 1/8" veneer (or someone with a bandsaw you can use).

kc8pql
12-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Resawing on a bandsaw rather than a table saw reduces the sawdust waste by 1/2. Needs to be a good saw though.

gary porter
12-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Mike, not totally sure what piece your making here but if your trying to get strips for say a midship frame etc. you can choose the 4/4 relatively flat sawn pice and rip it to 5/4. Then rotate those pieces and rip the 1/8 pieces from that. This will give you 5/4 stips , flat for bending. You could also switch to a thin kerf blade and save just a little.
Gary

Bob Smalser
12-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Run the numbers on cost.

Rough green lumber straight from a sawyer is generally as cheap as you can do it...also the most versatile.

1/8 strips will season in a couple of weeks in a heated shop if stickered to allow air flow.

Veneer is either rotary or flitch cut at the mill using large knives for minimal waste...but it's often an expensive special order item.