PDA

View Full Version : Texas Taxpayers Finance Formula One Auto Races as Schools Dismiss Teachers

wardd
05-11-2011, 09:31 AM
the texas fiscal miracle

Formula One races have failed to gain traction previously in the U.S. Since the 1970s, the series has been hosted by Long Beach, California, as well as Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas, Phoenix and, most recently, Indianapolis. The races there ended in 2007 on declining attendance.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-11/texas-taxpayers-finance-formula-one-auto-races-as-schools-dismiss-teachers.html

SamSam
05-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Football stadiums come to mind. Taxpayer financed, built on eminent domain seizure of usually poorer neighborhoods, do they actually pay their way?

perldog007
05-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Not just a red state phenomena type of deal. Come to Delaware for Nascar ( silent 'N' ;) ) race week sometime. The local politics are not exactly sweet smelling and full of light from either side or our aisle.

Personally, I don't find too much value in seeing how fast we can make our cars, Already fast enough to kill more people than guns every year. How about races to see how far they can go on a gallon? I'd personally deport at least 200 examples of what passes for an educator here to pay for that. YMMV.

Paul Pless
05-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Just as a point of interest, that track is costing more than $1 billion to develop. Its not like there is a lack of private sector involvement in the project. How many jobs does a $1 Billion infrastructure development create. I'm not saying that it is, but it may be money well spent by the state of Texas.

Now on to another, who the hell ever thought that F1 would be racing in Texas???

perldog007
05-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Just as a point of interest, that track is costing more than $1 billion to develop. Its not like there is a lack of private sector involvement in the project. How many jobs does a $1 Billion infrastructure development create. I'm not saying that it is, but it may be money well spent.

Now on to another, who the hell ever thought that F1 would be racing in Texas??? Must be some kind or liberalEuro corrupting influence :D

wardd
05-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Just as a point of interest, that track is costing more than $1 billion to develop. Its not like there is a lack of private sector involvement in the project. How many jobs does a $1 Billion infrastructure development create. I'm not saying that it is, but it may be money well spent by the state of Texas.

Now on to another, who the hell ever thought that F1 would be racing in Texas???

road and bridge repair and construction

SchoonerRat
05-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Formula One races have failed to gain traction previously in the U.S. Since the 1970s, the series has been hosted by Long Beach, California, as well as Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas, Phoenix and, most recently, Indianapolis. The races there ended in 2007 on declining attendance.

Just a footnote - Long Beach Grand Prix gave up on Formula One cars back in the '80s. They were too expensive, and the race just didn't draw the "beer swilling, hot dog eating" crowd necessary for the City's bottom line.

The race (just recently concluded) is now run in Indy Cars, and has become the "Crown Jewel" of Long Beach events.

I preferred it when we had the Miss Universe Contest!

David W Pratt
05-11-2011, 11:50 AM
I always thought that Manhattan would be a good venue. FDR, Harlem River Drive, Westside Highway.

Paul Pless
05-11-2011, 12:02 PM
I always thought that Manhattan would be a good venue. FDR, Harlem River Drive, Westside Highway.The problem is from a spectator standpoint, street races are essentially 'helmet' races as that's all that you can see. . . from a technical standpoint, F1 cars 'like' smooth pavement, free of things like potholes and manhole covers and such.

John Meachen
05-11-2011, 05:12 PM
So what's stopping an American team entering Formula One?Come to that,will there be any representation from the host country when the Moto GP event takes place in 2013?There have also be rumblings about a Grand Prix in New York,which might be something of a counterpoint to the proposed Russian event.

delecta
05-11-2011, 06:01 PM
So what's stopping an American team entering Formula One?Come to that,will there be any representation from the host country when the Moto GP event takes place in 2013?There have also be rumblings about a Grand Prix in New York,which might be something of a counterpoint to the proposed Russian event.

There is no realistic place to host an F1 race in lower NY. There was talk somewhere around Shea Stadium area I believe but that didn't pass the test. I also think they tried to find a place in NJ. The area is just to dense and most are unwilling to put their lives on hold for 3 days while an F1 race is run. Christ, they whine and cry down their when Obama goes out to dinner. :D

There was an American F1 team in the works for last year but things didn't work out. Money as usual is the problem. It is believed that some teams spend $500+ million dollars a year on the team.

US F1 Team was a proposed Formula One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One) team that was granted entry to the 2010 season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Formula_One_season)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_F1_Team

Paul Pless
05-11-2011, 06:28 PM
There was an American F1 team in the works for last year but things didn't work out. Money as usual is the problem. It is believed that some teams spend $500+ million dollars a year on the team.

US F1 Team was a proposed Formula One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One) team that was granted entry to the 2010 season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Formula_One_season)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_F1_TeamOf course John knows the ins and outs of why there is no American F1 team better than probably anybody on this forum.

BrianW
05-11-2011, 06:54 PM
All taxpayer funded jobs, the "shovel ready" projects, should occur at the Federal level.

At least to the usual crowd. :D

The Gentleman Sawyer
05-11-2011, 08:53 PM

I did. In Dallas. 1984.

Ken

burgermike
05-15-2011, 08:01 AM
I went to the Grand Prix when it came to Dallas in 1984 at the age of 14. I went all 3 days. It is still one of the greatest memories of life! They built the track around/through Fair Park. There was vintage racing, and Porchse's and Ferrari's and Fiat's and of course the high revving roar of the F1's!!!! It was awesome! We sat in turn 2 looking straight up at the Start/ finish line. Nikki Lauda crashed in practice right in front of us, and I remember seeing Nigel Mansel get out and try and push his car over the finish line after he ran out of gas-he collapsed on the track! The only problem was whoever planned it didn't visit Texas in July-IT WAS HOT! The track literally melted under the tires-Alain Prost (my favorite) cut a tire on a manhole cover that was paved over, but was slowing exposed as the race went on.
I am thrilled that f1 one is coming back to the USA and think it is money well spent.

Keith Wilson
05-15-2011, 08:30 AM
How many jobs does a $1 Billion infrastructure development create. I'm not saying that it is, but it may be money well spent by the state of Texas.The question is not whether any individual project is a good idea, but a question of priorities, of which expenditure is more important. One would think that well-educated citizens would be money better spent, and have a better payback over the long run than just about anything else we could spend money on. Public education in Texas certainly has its faults, but nobody in his right mind would claim that spending less and laying off teachers will make it better.

Chip-skiff
05-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Texas is sort of a spawning ground for bad ideas.

skuthorp
05-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Bread and circuses, worked in ancient Rome, has worked well since. Distraction is the name of the game, overseas 'wars' work too.

burgermike
05-16-2011, 07:57 AM
The article was somewhat vague as it did not describe what the Big Event Fund is. It is money set aside by the state to help with an event if needed. The F1 "race event" not the track qualifies for up to $25 million. Not all events that qualify use it or even need it. This article gives a short list of other events that have used the fund

http://f1newsaustin.com/tag/texas-special-event-fund/

The article would like to make it sound as though money is being taken from education to build a track and that is not the case. In fact in my district the state contribution went up when the local contribution held mostly steady. We are not laying off any teachers-though a few have taken early retirement. We have tapped into a rainy day fund to help with any short comings, because that is our responsibility as an independent school district.

genglandoh
05-16-2011, 08:24 AM
This is just another example of big Government doing thinks that should not be doing wasting money.

David W Pratt
05-16-2011, 09:30 AM
I think that the ACLU will start a lawsuit over the requirement that cars racing in Texas have Creationist decals, or at least one of those little fish things.