Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gimmellsmom
    • Aug 2008

Soda Blasting - thoughts

Well today was an awesome day - launch! Four boats nearly sank and none of them were mine (not a woodie among them either).

So stepping back, we had a rough few storms in april and I sustained a fair bit of paint / caulking damage to my port side which was facing the lake.

In the fall a number of fiberglass boat owners are having their bottoms soda blasted... I've done some preliminary research and don't see much in the way of downsides?

I have no clue what's under layer after layer of paint and was thinking this may be an easy way to go bare and start from scratch rather than repairing peacemeal?

Thoughts?
  • tonydezoc
    • Oct 2007

Re: Soda Blasting - thoughts

I would be careful as on softer wood the blasting can dig out the softer wood betweenthe grain and leave you with a lot of sanding/filling

Comment

• Cogeniac
      • Jan 2010

Soda blasting also leaves a residue that needs to be removed before paint. I suspect this is difficult on wood
      Now is a good time!

sigpic
      Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Comment

• Mike Vogdes
        • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Cogeniac
        Soda blasting also leaves a residue that needs to be removed before paint. I suspect this is difficult on wood
        Soda blasting is done all the time on wood and is no problem, unlike sand blasting. That residue is baking soda, nothing a garden hose won't take care of...

Comment

• Robert Meyer
          • Jan 2009

Commercial mold abatement companies have a dry ice blasting unit used for cleaning wall studs/joists. I'm guessing it evaporates after blasting? Wonder if it would work on boats?
          “Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily" Johann Von Schiller

Comment

• Jayhawk
            • Oct 2009

In case you didn't see the thread about corn blasting:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...asting-anthea-!

Comment

• gimmellsmom
              • Aug 2008

Corn & ice are both very intersting... I'll have to do more digging.
              Boat is mahogany btw, should have mentioned that.

Comment

• orbb
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Robert Meyer
                Commercial mold abatement companies have a dry ice blasting unit used for cleaning wall studs/joists. I'm guessing it evaporates after blasting? Wonder if it would work on boats?
                Better wear a respirator.

Comment

Working...