PDA

View Full Version : The best police dramas

ishmael
05-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm going to vote for "The French Connection".

A young Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider, hot on their game.

As a close second I'll put "Heat". Both Pacino and DeNiro are first rate in it.

LeeG
05-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Cloris Leachmans fill debut was when I was born?! I'll search it out.

stevebaby
05-06-2011, 07:07 PM
The Wire (HBO) followed closely by a British series,Coppers. There are a couple of Australian series (Phoenix Rising) which were very good,but almost every film or tv show I've ever seen about police work is wildly unrealistic. I very rarely watch them.

botebum
05-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Dragnet, the TV show, not that totally unrealistic movie with Dan Aykroyd.

Doug

Bob Cleek
05-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Car 54, Where Are You?

Seriously, while the genre does provide fodder for interesting mysteries, who-done-it suprise endings, and lots of shoot-em-up action, most cops find cop shows totally unrealistic... and they are. Ask any cop. If you had to do what they do on the cop shows every day for a living, you'd quit in a couple of days.

Glen Longino
05-06-2011, 07:46 PM
"Training Day"
Denzel Washington and Whatshisname.

purri
05-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Blue Murder.

L.W. Baxter
05-06-2011, 08:03 PM
"Heat"??? Really? All I can remember about it is, it was forgettable.

You still pickin' your feet in Poughkeepsie, Ish?

Cuyahoga Chuck
05-06-2011, 09:11 PM
One of the best is just starting on TCM. Mickey Spillane's Kiss Me Deadly. Cloris Leachman's film debut, in 1955. It's a PI (Mike Hammer) flick, instead of a police drama, but Malkin gave it 3.5 stars.

I'm a fan of Leonard Ma(L)tin myself.

George Jung
05-06-2011, 09:14 PM
The Killing - AMC; based on a european version (? finland?).

It's a weekly; nicely done.

goodbasil
05-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Barney Miller. Okay, it's not a cop drama but it was a cop show or whatever.

seanz
05-07-2011, 02:25 AM
Hamish Macbeth?

stevebaby
05-07-2011, 02:47 AM
Blue Murder.Roxburgh did a superb job of playing the Dodger and some of the other actors did too,allowing for a bit of artistic licence and the libel laws.
I knew a few of them,not well,but enough to say "G'day".
They were all R-soles.

stevebaby
05-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Car 54, Where Are You?

Seriously, while the genre does provide fodder for interesting mysteries, who-done-it suprise endings, and lots of shoot-em-up action, most cops find cop shows totally unrealistic... and they are. Ask any cop. If you had to do what they do on the cop shows every day for a living, you'd quit in a couple of days.What did you think of the HBO series "Oz", Bob?

ishmael
05-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Our down under friends are making me wish I had cable TV.

L.W. the scene where Hackman is rousting the guy by asking him if he still picks his feet is great. You didn't like "Heat"? I found it compelling. I liked all the characters, and it has the plus of a young Natalie Portman. Maybe not her debut, but close.

Are any of them realistic? Nah, that's why they call them dramas. The vast majority of time a cop spends is utter boredom, punctuated now and then with utter terror. I've known a cop or two, and my cap is doffed so long as they don't abuse their authority.

skuthorp
05-07-2011, 06:05 AM
We've got a real one playing down here. Try a series of gangland internecine killings going back to 1953 when a nasty bloke called Harrison was shot. fast forward to the late 90's and early 2000's and it's still going on till a new police commisioner steps into the game and gradually shuts it down, does a deal with a major perp and keeps him alive by putting him in a secure jail. Now it really gets complicated. Someone high up in Corrective services Very high up, had him moved to a less secure place, housed with a man who knew he was an informer, and of course he was killed.
There's more but that's the next series.

PeterSibley
05-07-2011, 06:09 AM
Hamish Macbeth?

Thank you ! Dark humour , good plots and the Scottish tourism Board !

Captain Intrepid
05-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Right now I'm watching DaVinci's Inquest, and can't say too much about it. It's not a police drama exactly, it actually follows a coroner in Vancouver, but a lot of the cases he investigates involve homocide. It's as realistic as I've seen on tv, with plots rarely fitting into the 1 hour mold. There's multiple stories going on all the time, some are solved, some aren't, some have ramifications for seasons and seasons. It is a damn well done show.

Bob Cleek
05-07-2011, 03:19 PM
What did you think of the HBO series "Oz", Bob?

I watched most of the episodes. Frankly, it was the most authentic prison drama I've ever seen. The character who was the unit manager guy had the job I did. The perspectives of the characters were very accurate. Somebody who had some real experience in the joint wrote those screenplays.