PDA

View Full Version : Wanted sail plan to Chapelle sharpie Schooner

Zane Lewis
01-10-2001, 06:04 AM
In his book Boatbuilding (1941). Chapelle uses a 36'1" billet to taffrail modified Sharpie schooner (pg 57 in the 1969 edition) he designed in 1941 as an example. Unfortunatly he has not included the rig only the positions of the chainplates and mast positions.

Does anyone have a contact name /adderss of who is likely to hold Chapelle's work so I could get a set of study prints. I am looking to build something in this style once we have sold our current yacht. May use this as a starting point, add my own experience some modern technologies and finish with a local New Zealand designer.

Thad
01-10-2001, 06:44 AM
The Smithsonian Institution has all of Chapelle's papers and sells plans. I will have to look in their catalog to see if the sail plan, and other sheets, can be tracked down there. The plan shown is detailed enough so you would assume there is more to it, but it is possible this is all we get and you would have to devise a suitable rig from other plans, e.g. the New Haven sharpies were 35' so working around their sail area with a smaller or equal size foresail and a jib on the bowsprit you would probably be ready to have some fun. And it does look like fun, does it not?!

Zane Lewis
01-10-2001, 05:27 PM
Thanks Thad,
I have done something like that using a Gaff Schooner sharpie as a model.
Main 180
Foresail 120,
Staysail and Jib about 50 each.
Total around 400 sq ft but now I am thinking of adding a little more in the Foresail, making the staysail masthead and on a boom, and the jib a roller furler yankee style.
For a total of 450 ish sq ft.

Zane

Thad
01-10-2001, 06:51 PM
Sound like good thoughts to me that won't get you into serious trouble and will increase your capabilities. I like big rigs and reefing (balance adjusting) capabilities. Ballasting will be the other variable that will affect your comfort level and how it all works. Should work well.

dadadata
01-10-2001, 07:11 PM
<<
The Smithsonian Institution has all of Chapelle's papers and sells plans. I
will have to look in their catalog to see if the sail plan, and other sheets,
can be tracked down there.
>>

Should be, I have the catalog too but it's out on loan.

I recall I've looked for one or two items in Boatbuilding which did NOT seem to appear in the Smithsonian catalog. An example is the "sampan-bowed" boat early in the book.

Anyway, the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum has a fair number of Chapelle drawings plus his personal library. I do not know if there's any overlap with the Smithsonian.

I do know there are some "unknown" drawings held there. Blueprint copies are $10.

Zane Lewis
01-12-2001, 07:47 PM
Yes I would expect to have much more ballest that the origonal and I would have a ballasted centre board.

Could someone post either email address or post address for some of the contacts noted above so I can send them a request.

Thanks
Zane

Perry Olten
01-18-2001, 05:02 PM
http://www.americanhistory.si.edu/csr/shipplan.htm

http://www.cbmm.org/