PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp and grits?

RichKrough
05-04-2011, 08:23 PM
I heard about this dish on the radio while passing through South Carolina low country recently. Being raised a hillbilly I never heard of putting shrimp in grits.
I found a bunch of recipes online. There seems to be two camps. Those who make a bacon flavored gravy to go over top and those who put cheese on top.

Anyone here have a favorite recipe?

Paul Pless
05-04-2011, 09:42 PM
I've had it several ways, this is still my favorite.

Right here Peter. Good Monday morning everyone. I hope a good Thanksgiving was had by all.

Creamy Grits
Cook grits as you normally would but use 1/4 less water. When the water is absorbed add the rest of the liquid as heavy cream ,or you could use whole milk, and finish cooking.(Please note that even Quik Grits take time to cook right)

Shrimp Gravy
Cook 6-7 strips of bacon and set aside.
*see note below
Into the fat add 3-4 heaping tablespoons of flour and let that lightly brown.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
To the flour add milk a cup at a time. You want to make a gravy but you want it to be fairly thick because when you put the shrimp in they will juice out and thin the gravy some.
Add 1-2 pounds of peeled shrimp(more or less depending on how much you like shrimp) and cook until the shrimp are done, but don't over cook them.
Crumble the bacon and add to the gravy.
Serve over the grits.

*you can add minced onions and bell pepper here if you want but I don't think it works as well for breakfast if you do.

Paul Pless
05-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Ummmm...What have you got against bacon AND cheese?where's that damned bilge best quotes thread?

Steve Paskey
05-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I like the recipe from "Hoppin' John's Lowcountry Cooking," a cookbook by John Taylor.

www.hoppinjohns.com/cgi-bin/screenbld.asp?Request=shrimpandgrits&CN=20110504225419096240087230

Keep in mind that the grits MUST cook for a full hour. Trust us on this.

I've had shrimp and grits at one of the best restaurants in Columbia, South Carolina. Hoppin' John's recipe is better.

Glen Longino
05-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Ummmm...What have you got against bacon AND cheese?

My cardiac monitor went off just reading this!!

George Jung
05-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Is that the one that keeps ya from doing anything foolish?

Glen Longino
05-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Is that the one that keeps ya from doing anything foolish?

Nope, she's in there watching TV!;)

botebum
05-04-2011, 10:42 PM
The recipe posted by Paul is more or less how I do it. I add the green pepper and onions.
I've been known to sprinkle some Parmesan in as I'm finishing the shrimp and gravy.

Doug

David W Pratt
05-05-2011, 07:34 AM
I make them to go with ham steak and deglaze the ham pan with a little coffee, red eye gravy, yum.
Sometimes mix some cheese into hot grits, also yum.

S.V. Airlie
05-05-2011, 07:36 AM
As long as it isn't okra, I'm game..I like the concept though...

David W Pratt
05-05-2011, 10:11 AM
The other thing I learned from my Mom is to pour hot grits in a clean tin can, let them set over night then open the other end of the can, push the grits out and slice them, dredge in flour and fry for breakfast. the spatter some.

RichKrough
05-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks Paul and all, I'm gonna give it try this weekend.

pefjr
05-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Shrimp grits? Hominey!! That's for the help, we are served lobster, re-fried grits, sweet cole slaw, and pomgranite iced tea. Key lime pie for later.

Paul Pless
05-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Shrimp grits? Hominey!! That's for the help, we are served lobster, re-fried grits, sweet cole slaw, and pomgranite iced tea. Key lime pie for later.yeah whatever. . . . . . . . . 'Mr. I like boiled catfish carcass stew.'http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/fredz859/WoodenBoat/forum/rolleyes.gif

perldog007
05-05-2011, 07:47 PM
I heard about this dish on the radio while passing through South Carolina low country recently. Being raised a hillbilly I never heard of putting shrimp in grits.
I found a bunch of recipes online. There seems to be two camps. Those who make a bacon flavored gravy to go over top and those who put cheese on top.

Anyone here have a favorite recipe?

Life is short. Parm & Cheddar w/garlic powder and butter in the grits, bacon gravy on top. And sin no more. :D

pefjr
05-05-2011, 08:11 PM
yeah whatever. . . . . . . . . 'Mr. I like boiled catfish carcass stew.'http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/fredz859/WoodenBoat/forum/rolleyes.gifThat's an authentic Chester B Goode of Del Montico's of Dodge City, Ka. recipe. Matt, Doc, Chester, nor Kitty have ever complained.

John Turpin
05-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Shrimp grits? Hominey!!

From an early episode of the Dick Van Dyke show:

Sally: "Hominy grits?!"

Buddy: "I don't know. There looks to be thirty or forty of them."

ahp
05-06-2011, 03:23 PM
One of my favorite restaurants here on the Island is the Black Water Grill. It is Cajun and low country, and this transplanted Connecticut Yankee loves their Shrimp and Grits. Spicy, Yum!

Peter Kalshoven
05-06-2011, 05:34 PM
I order shrimp and grits at every restaurant I see them offered at... and it's always a little different. I still prefer the version that Charles made for breakfast at the Georgia gathering of the SEBB&BD (South East Boat Builders & Beer Drinkers) where I first met Memphis Mike and Miss Sue, Chad, Iron Mule, and the Greshams. (Eight years ago?) In fact, I am the Peter referred to in Paul's CnP above. The only change I make is Poblano Peppers instead of bell, and more bacon. Whenever I serve it to someone who's never had Shrimp and Grits before, I make sure to tell them that I consider this one of God's Good Meals.
Try it. You'll love it.

Paul Pless
05-06-2011, 05:53 PM
and more bacon:d. . . .