PDA

View Full Version : Oar bands?

rbm109
05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
I've got two oars with my folding Prout. They've obviously had bands around the blades at some point in the dim and distant past.

http://prout.church-walk.com/images/oar%20end.jpg

Should they have bands? And if so, of what should they be made?
Cheers!
Robert.

Peerie Maa
05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
They were traditionally made out of copper strip. These days eglass and epoxy with colloidal silica for abrasion resistance is probably a better solution.

rbm109
05-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Hello Nick from Walney!
What a small world eh? I'm in Ulverston.
I'll have to look up "eglass" and "colloidal silica" but it sounds easier than tacking on copper.
Thanks.
Robert.

rbm109
05-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Would "colloidal silica" be the same, or similar, to the "micro balloons" used with epoxy in model making? If so, then I've got some of that.

Peerie Maa
05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
No, micro balloons are the filler used when fairing as they sand easily. Eglass is the glass prepared for use with epoxy rather than prepared for polyester resin.

rbm109
05-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Roger! Thanks!

Bill Huson
05-01-2011, 08:18 PM
and colloidal silica AKA fumed silica is a thickening additive which is very strong in an epoxy mix. Micro balloons are less strong in mix.

Thorne
05-01-2011, 10:09 PM
I've used a very thick mix of epoxy along the bottom edges of the oar blade and slightly up the sides. As mentioned above it gives good protection to the oar when rowing in gravel or when pushing off, and most thickener is rather wood-colored so it doesn't stand out too badly.

If the bands were more for holding the glued blade side pieces onto the center loom piece than for abrasion protection, you might need to pull the oar blades apart and reglue with epoxy -- hard to say.

Paul Montgomery
05-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I vote for copper bands. Easier than mucking around with epoxy but mainly because they can be made to look so dang classy.

JimConlin
05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
E-glass is Electrical grade, with no fancy structural properties. It might or might not have been coated ('sized') to accept epoxy bonding. The vast majority of glass used in commercial and amateur boatbuilding is E-glass.
S (for Structural) glass is chemically the same glass, but it's been handled gently, so its fibers haven't been kinked or scratched, so it's stronger. It's a lot more expensive than E-glass, so it's not often used for amateur boatbuilding. It's in between E-glass and carbon fiber in both cost and strength.

Cabosil is a brand of colloidal silica, aka fumed silica. It's a good structural filler for epoxy. An epoxy-colloidal silica composite is hard, and difficult to sand.

For oar tips, I'd look for a reinforcement tougher than glass. One tidy option is a single length of braided nylon cord set in epoxy across the tip.

rbm109
05-02-2011, 03:52 AM
If the bands were more for holding the glued blade side pieces onto the center loom piece than for abrasion protection, you might need to pull the oar blades apart and reglue with epoxy -- hard to say.

I fear that you may be right about this Thorne.

I vote for copper bands. Easier than mucking around with epoxy but mainly because they can be made to look so dang classy.

:D Paul, you may well be right but I'm not sure that the totally botched job that I'd do would look "dang classy".

One tidy option is a single length of braided nylon cord set in epoxy across the tip.

Y> Thanks for the starter course on epoxy mixes Jim, it's appreciated. My knowledge of epoxy, so far, runs to Araldite and cheap resin used for the insides of model boats.
I like the epoxied cord idea. If I did it tightly enough it might mitigate the problem hinted at my Thorne above. And it'd look quite good too.

Thanks all! I have to say that coming on this forum makes me GREEN WITH ENVY!!!!!!!
...all you chaps busy whittling away and producing these beautiful boats. I simply do not have the room or, just now, the disposable income, to allow such things. I make do with model yachts instead for the most part. Mind you, we're planning on moving house in the middle future and a garage (or other building) is getting higher on the list all of the time.
TTFN.
Robert.