PDA

View Full Version : Grey Seal

GrantK
12-03-2000, 09:24 PM
I'm looking for a plan for a seaworthy cruiser and Grey Seal sure looks good. Love to hear from any builders/owners.

garland reese
12-04-2000, 10:02 AM
Duck flat wooden boats might be able to give you some information or get you in touch with a builder. www.duckflat-woodenboats.com.au (http://www.duckflat-woodenboats.com.au)
Also, there was a series in WB a couple of years ago on building Grey Seal. A search should turn up the issues (it was a three part series, I think).
Grey Seal is surely a great looking boat, as are all of Mr. Oughtred's designs. The Wee Seal is on my "dream sheet", as is his Eun Na Mara. Maybe someday........

DougWilde
12-04-2000, 11:33 PM
You really must subscribe to Water Craft, out of the UK. In the past year or so they have featured a lapstrake Gray Seal as well as multi-issue series on building Eun Na Mara. A bit pricey, but the closest thing to the old SBJ. Lotsa pretty SMALL boats.

Doug Wilde

piercedb
01-07-2001, 10:45 PM
Can any of you tell me more about this Wee Seal? I saw a reference to it on Duck Flats site, but no pictures or info.

Is it a daysailer?

garland reese
01-07-2001, 11:50 PM
The Wee Seal is a small version of the Grey Seal....sort of. She is a trailerable mini cruiser of 18' in length and 7' in beam. She has 600lbs of ballast and has a shallow keel and centerboard (< 2' draft w/centerboard up, I'd imagine). She is double-ended with a nice shape and gunter rig like the Grey Seal. She is supposed to weigh in around 1500lbs. She has a small cabin with two settee berths. I've read an article that was in an OZ publication a while back. It was written by a fellow who'd built one for he and his wife to go coastal cruising in. He is very happy with the boat. Construction is glued lap. Duck Flats is supposed to have a video of building and sailing her. I need to get it, but haven't yet. Also, ther is a fellow that I've had a bit of correspondence with a while back that is presently building one. I'll see if I can locate his email address. He was in OZ as well.
She is a small boat, but very nice looking and should make a very nice little weekender for a couple. Mr. Oughtred's catalog mentions a "dayboat version" that has a longer cockpit, but I don't know any other details of it. email me, if you're interested, and I'll try to find those email addresses and any other info I have.
garland

TomRobb
01-08-2001, 08:43 AM
Ok, off the subject, but I haven't been able to pin down from context just what/where OZ is. I'd guessed Australia New Zeeland but that doesn't really seem to fit. Where, who, what is OZ?

garland reese
01-08-2001, 09:28 AM
Austrailia........haven't figured that one out yet myself???? Sorry for the confusion.
garland

Bayboat
01-08-2001, 06:05 PM
Australia is "OZ" because when referring to themselves the Aussies pronouce it "Ozzie."
Or so I've been told by one.
As far as I know, no Ozma, Emerald City,
great wizard, lions (except in zoos) or tin men, only scarecrows and lots of Dorothys.

Bayboat
01-08-2001, 06:07 PM
I forgot the witches, flying monkeys and munchkins. Ask an Ozzie about them.

Chris Lasdauskas
01-08-2001, 09:25 PM
Nah, no flying monkeys or munchkins (well not like Baum portrayed), but we do have hoop-snakes and drop-bears ...

Will
01-10-2001, 07:13 PM
Doug ; would you give contact info for Water Craft ? I've heard of it for years and I think I'm finally ready to subscribe . You've pushed me over the edge .

landlocked sailor
01-10-2001, 09:47 PM
Will, Go to www.watercraft.co.uk. (http://www.watercraft.co.uk.) I got a subsciption for Christmas along with some back issues and I am hooked. Rick

garland reese
01-10-2001, 11:48 PM
Hey Landlocked Sailor Man........I think ol' Santy Claus musta got our houses mixed up 'cause I didn't get my subscription for Christmas......... just a new belt! Did you need a new belt? You did ask for a new belt didn't you? Wanna trade?
...Just kiddin'. That is a great magazine. Lots of nice projects in there, especially for those who like to read of smaller boats. I had hoped to see a subscription in my stocking......I'll just have to send it in myself.
garland

NormMessinger
01-11-2001, 09:32 AM
FOR THE USA:
Water Craft US Subscription Service
ArrowHeart Publications, PO Box 496, Boothbay, Maine 04537-0496, USA
Tel: 1 800 804 7670 - Toll-free

Six issues, one year, $38. 12 issues $70

My experience has been that you'll get an answering machine but they will call you back in short order. They also stock back issues.

Nice thing about WaterCraft is it is all small boats, not all wooden but all small.

--Norm

[This message has been edited by NormMessinger (edited 01-11-2001).]

RogerVa
01-19-2001, 10:04 AM
Just by way of livening this thread, this is the message I received one week ago from Robert Ayliffe of Duckflat WB, AU when I asked about the Grey Seal yawl rig and the rumoured "Great Seal."

"I have just come off the phone from Iain, who in turn is recovering from cracking his skull after a misadventure on a cliff in Scotland..... he is 'working on' both the projects you refer to...

"Great Seal is an interesting concept. Under the present circumstances i believe it will be some months before either project is brought to fruition."

Andrew
01-22-2001, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the update Roger. I've been holding my breath for that Grey Seal yawl rig. It's taking longer than the 6-8 weeks for delivery for my secret decoder ring off the back of my Munchie O's. Seems those prizes never came until you completely forgot about them.