PDA

View Full Version : fun parties

ishmael
04-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Andre was a Greek fellow, a gradutate student at Johns Hopkins, who lived across the street in Baltimore. He and I had a nodding aqaintence until one day when his Volvo wasn't running. One of those Volvos from before they went boxy. It was the fuel pump, which was in the gas tank.

I got sucked in because I had some tools he didn't, and he clearly needed a hand.

Long story short, he invited me to a party he was having. It had to be 90% of the Greek ex-pat community in Baltimore. Andre had a whole goat, trussed and roasting on the spit, and the Ouzo was flowing and the Greek music blasted from the speakers well into the night. Every time you turned around someone wanted to dance with you!

All on a postage stamp lot in a upscale Baltimore neigborhood. It's mildly amazing the cops didn't show. Not because the crowd got unruly, but because of the noise.

I'll tell ya, Greeks know how to party.

Paul Pless
04-29-2011, 02:54 PM
It's mildly amazing the cops didn't show. One of my best friends threw this freak show every year for halloween. He knew everybody - lots of lesbians and strippers and hippies and dope fiends. It was the best party of the year. One year he rented an old warehouse in downtown Birmingham, everybody ended up on the roof eating mushrooms, dropping acid, and XTC and tossing pumpkins off the roof at 3:00 in the morning. When a pumpkin hits the asphalt from three or four floors up it looks like fireworks going off. Pretty amazing nobody fell off the roof. No goat, that woulda been something. :d

botebum
04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Rule number one in throwing a large party is to invite all the neighbors even if you don't get along with them ... especially if you don't get along with them.
They might not show up but they're less likely to call the cops and complain if you invited them.
I usually invited some off duty cops too. This one always works but they are usually the worst behaved guests.

Doug

Paul Pless
04-29-2011, 03:14 PM
I usually invited some off duty cops too. This one always works and they are usually the worst behaved guests.

DougAin't that the truth. I had a huge shindig once and somebody called the cops and they showed up I met them in the drive and they left and everything was good for a little while then somebody called the cops again and they showed back up but weren't quite as cool about it until the district court judge who was at the party stepped out and invited them in.:D

We was all good then!