PDA

View Full Version : anti fouling paint question

sailorz
04-29-2011, 01:34 PM
looking into another project with a friend of mine, and found a 1961 penn yan that is 15 ft long. Anyways, the guy who started restoring the boat painted everything with anti fouling paint, the whole boat from top to bottom, from what ive seen isn't this type of paint meant for the bottom of the boat? I have never worked with this type of paint, and know hardly anything about it, but it sounds like would have to sand the entire interior of the boat and the deck down to be able to stain and get a nice wood finish... not sure if it can be done or that I want to waste my time, any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated

Ian McColgin
04-29-2011, 01:48 PM
This could be a mess. Anti-fouling paints come in "soft" or ablative or sloughing, or "hard". The soft paints will absolutely not take anything over them, but some of the hards might. This could make a big difference in how much of a pain your next step is. So ask the guy what he used and check with the manufacturor, if you can. Failing all else, smudge the paint with your thumb and if the colour comes off easily onto your thumb, it's probably soft. You'll need to get it all off and reprep from jump.

G'luck

BBSebens
04-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Wow. gotta wonder what made a guy do that... a very strange procedure. maybe he thought that it would keep the boat from rotting. consequently, your sitting in a bowl of highly toxic paint.

Todd Bradshaw
04-29-2011, 02:36 PM
If it happens to be one of the modified epoxy types of antifouling paint, like Unepoxy (which is a pretty popular one) it is an absolute bear to sand off - hard with nasty toxic copper dust. I did one about ten years ago and I think I can still taste that crap, even though I had a respirator on. On the other hand, if it's ablative (which is kind of rare on motorboats) you could probably scrub it off with some work. There are a few other types between those two in ease/difficulty of removal, so it's hard to say what he probably used. In any case, removal is usually not a lot of fun.

five guys named moe
04-29-2011, 02:54 PM
This stripper works well on ablatives... http://www.fisheriessupply.com/productgroupdetail.aspx?cid=136406&did=14063&keywords=strip&km=entire&sb=