PDA

View Full Version : i guess its possible that norman, emily, and ian haven't seen this thread

Paul Pless
04-28-2011, 08:10 PM
and posted condemnation of the efforts of their own democratically elected Democratic politicians. . .

but it kinda boggles the mind that they haven't, given how strong they were in expressing their opinions on certain Republicans that have suggested similar things of late.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?130225-Massachusetts-Legislature-Limits-Collective-Bargaining

SMARTINSEN
04-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Ian commented right of the bat on this, IIRC.

elf
04-28-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't look at any thread that Donn starts.

BrianW
04-29-2011, 02:44 AM
I see we'll need to be extra careful this year, with the seating assignments at the WBS. :)

perldog007
04-29-2011, 02:57 AM
It's not healthy to hold emotions in like that Donn.

Paul, you're a day late and a dollar short. Let me buy you a virtual coffee and fill you in. The Chris Matthews brigade has declared that when it went down in Massachusetts, it's working together, but when we's talkin' Wisconsin it's str8 outta ye ole facist handbook. I know, shocking but true.

You see in Wisconsin it's wrong because it was being railroaded, ramrodded, and there was dictator stuff going on because the democrats left the state because of those obstructionist republicans. But in Massachusetts it was democracy because, ummm, because it was. The democrats didn't haul buns to Illinois from Massachusetts because ahhh, they was working together. Right on?

For Fergie's Sake! It's union bosses and politicians negotiating over taxpayer money. Apparently a concept that was once clear to the democratic leadership (FDR, Carter) but has over the years attained superpowers and become elusive. Dang.

Fortunately here in the Dumba, er um I mean First state, AFSCME only has lobbying power, so our employees seem pretty understanding that times is tough and they realize they are lucky to have jobs.

Surprising to me, I always saw our civil "servants" as one entitlement minded group, last time a pay cut came up they screamed alot. Now most seem willing to work together and kick in a little more for the goodies. Today it's kind of refreshing. Last time around it was pretty fugly here.

Hot Air
04-29-2011, 05:42 AM
In some cultures "pig" can be considered a term of endearment. "Hypocritical" can be used with affection such as "You hypocritical little piggy wiggy."

PeterSibley
04-29-2011, 06:02 AM
I'll keep that in mind the next time you ask me for advice on the care of your plants, you hypocritical pig.

At your most lovable Donn .:d

I do love the way Americans discuss politics !

Paul Pless
04-29-2011, 07:04 AM
It was a typo. I fixed it. :Drofl

Paul Pless
04-29-2011, 07:04 AM
My apologies to Ian.

Ian McColgin
04-29-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm fairly sure that Emily really meant that she does not open political threads started by Donn. I don't know if Donn is unable to appreciate the nonpolitical contributions of people with whom he has political disagreements, but most of us really can. That's why we're all here.

I hope both Donn and Emily can pass off each other's remarks on this thread as just snorts from two sometimes grumpy and plainspoken people who still share a real interest in how life comes forth from the dirt.

Anyway, for those out of state - the House bill is one measure. There are two measures before the Senate, that's the chamber where adults argue about the budget, from last year and there is Gov Patrick's - not exactly a proposal but - set of goals all in the mix. I think in the end there will be a bit of give on all sides to let municipalities (that's what this bill is about) survive.

As it is, desperate cuts are happening. Tomorrow I'll be sailing down to Pease Brothers, where I'll just tinker for two months while my back finishes recovering before the real haulout. That means going under the fameous wooden (still, for the moment) draw bridge. So I called the Harbormaster who was sounding just grumpy enough about having to commit time and a half to someone to do a weekend opening that I volunteered that if there was a free mooring I'd happily stay out in Stage Harbor and go in the Mill Pond on Monday.

One of my crew for tomorrow works part time shell fish and part time bird and she mentioned when I told her the plan that the Harbormaster is so short on funds that they are down a couple summer spots and that she is the one who was loaned over to paint his skiff.

Our federal government is in trouble. Our state governments are sinking. But our municipalities are truely SOL. The issue of total cash on municipal worker's health care is critical to all sides, will hurt so matter how resolved, and is going forward here in a robustly democratic fashion. We can be proud of the process.

PeterSibley
04-29-2011, 07:14 AM
It was a typo. I fixed it. :D

Donn ? A typo ! mark this day ;)

Paul Pless
04-29-2011, 07:15 AM
We can be proud of the process.Excellent Post, Thank you Ian.

PeterSibley
04-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Excellent Post, Thank you Ian.

As usual Ian .|:)

Paul Pless
04-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Let's not overboard Peter.

Phillip Allen
04-29-2011, 07:41 AM
what's that on Peter's nose? :)

delecta
04-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Donn ? A typo ! mark this day ;)

I thought they used to call them Freudian slips. |;)

elf
04-29-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm fairly sure that Emily really meant that she does not open political threads started by Donn. I don't know if Donn is unable to appreciate the nonpolitical contributions of people with whom he has political disagreements, but most of us really can. That's why we're all here.

I hope both Donn and Emily can pass off each other's remarks on this thread as just snorts from two sometimes grumpy and plainspoken people who still share a real interest in how life comes forth from the dirt.

Anyway, for those out of state - the House bill is one measure. There are two measures before the Senate, that's the chamber where adults argue about the budget, from last year and there is Gov Patrick's - not exactly a proposal but - set of goals all in the mix. I think in the end there will be a bit of give on all sides to let municipalities (that's what this bill is about) survive.

As it is, desperate cuts are happening. Tomorrow I'll be sailing down to Pease Brothers, where I'll just tinker for two months while my back finishes recovering before the real haulout. That means going under the fameous wooden (still, for the moment) draw bridge. So I called the Harbormaster who was sounding just grumpy enough about having to commit time and a half to someone to do a weekend opening that I volunteered that if there was a free mooring I'd happily stay out in Stage Harbor and go in the Mill Pond on Monday.

One of my crew for tomorrow works part time shell fish and part time bird and she mentioned when I told her the plan that the Harbormaster is so short on funds that they are down a couple summer spots and that she is the one who was loaned over to paint his skiff.

Our federal government is in trouble. Our state governments are sinking. But our municipalities are truely SOL. The issue of total cash on municipal worker's health care is critical to all sides, will hurt so matter how resolved, and is going forward here in a robustly democratic fashion. We can be proud of the process.

And all of this is because the Republicans will not permit the tax rate to rise on those with incomes over $250,000.

Utterly amazing the political impact across the nation of such monumental stupidity.

And MA is one of the states who gets back less from the Feds than it contributes!

Ian McColgin
04-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Well, Emily, someone has to support all those red state moochers.

Paul Pless
04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
And MA is one of the states who gets back less from the Feds than it contributes!i thought you supported income leveling

elf
04-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Deficit reduction is achieved through job creation. So the percentage is irrelevant in this case.

elf
04-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Well, Emily, someone has to support all those red state moochers.

Oh Ian, that was harsh!!!

Paul Pless
04-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Deficit reduction is achieved through job creation. Then why argue for higher taxes?

elf
04-29-2011, 10:37 AM
To give the government more to spend on infrastructure, job creation, the shift away from fossil fuels, medicine, supporting the unemployed, health care for all, education, environmental cleanup, energy conservation.

I mean, how many America's Cup boats do we need to build to employ all the people who could be out there repairing our infrastructure?

BrianW
04-29-2011, 09:48 PM
and posted condemnation of the efforts of their own democratically elected Democratic politicians. . .

but it kinda boggles the mind that they haven't, given how strong they were in expressing their opinions on certain Republicans that have suggested similar things of late.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?130225-Massachusetts-Legislature-Limits-Collective-Bargaining

You're right, I didn't see the thread... but I'll happily join in on the condemnation.

You could have, but didn't. No problem jumping in on the off topic subject though.

It's not an either-or situation, and the two of you know better than to paint the issue in only primary colors.

Taxes get spent.... and taxes raise revenue. Reduce spending, and you lower the deficit. Cut taxes, and you increase the deficit. It really is that simple.....

Paul nailed it. Again.

BrianW
05-01-2011, 07:41 PM
What does that have to do with the Oznabrag tax increase?

Nothing. You go ahead a pay 92% to the Feds. That's why it's called the Oznabrag Tax.

BrianW
05-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks, Brian. I knew I could depend on you to only partially quote me, taking one line out of context.... I applaud your fair and objective criticism of my point.

Not.

Yes...

Which part of your long post above addressed the Massachusetts Democratic led House voting to strip bargaining rights from police officers, teachers, and other municipal employees?

You never even posted on the original thread Paul was referring to.

You not only miss it the first time, you failed to address it the second time, instead going off in a tax rant.

Now when I clearly point that out, you attempt to discredit me.

Sorry dude, that's lame. You might not like my post, but it was accurate, unlike yours above.

BrianW
05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
As ot the topic of my post, who the hell appointed YOU to decide what I am able to post? My post was responsive to others... I'm under NO obligation to post in some manner approved by you.

I don't recall EVER partially quoting YOU out of context, with an intent to deceive.

This thread, in case you didn't notice, has your name in the title.

It was quite logical to follow your responses to the topic, note your statements, and watch the follow through.

It was also quite obvious when you didn't respond to the topic again.

You've done nothing but prove the OP correct.

I didn't quote you out of context, I quoted you off topic.

BrianW
05-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Apparently you are completely happy and satisfied to see selfishness and exploitation of the many for the aggrandizement of the few as a virtue, and I think that makes you very small.

Nope, but I don't believe in taxing anyone 92% of their income. That you do, makes me feel sad.

BrianW
05-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Never mind, Brian.... no point in arguing with you. I get criticized when I post something... and now, I'm getting criticized when I DON'T post... and yet, you still defend intentionally quoting me out of context.

I absolutely did not quote you "out of context".

I quoted your first post...

You're right, I didn't see the thread... but I'll happily join in on the condemnation.

Yet you never did. Never a further comment on the topic here, or the other thread referenced.

My second quote from you...

It's not an either-or situation, and the two of you know better than to paint the issue in only primary colors.

Taxes get spent.... and taxes raise revenue. Reduce spending, and you lower the deficit. Cut taxes, and you increase the deficit. It really is that simple....

Was merely an example of your off topic post. It's the first two sentences, with an ellipse to show it continues. A well established technique for introducing a quoted passage.

I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised. You're well known as a military guy.... and one would expect military men to have at least some personal code of honor, which would presume that person would conduct themselves with a lot more integrity than that.

This attempt to disparage the military would be beneath most people. It has no relevance to the subject.

I guess I was wrong. That's all I'm gonna say on this thread.

You were wrong. You should have either admitted it, or ignored it. But trying to wiggle out of it made it worse.

David Tabor (sailordave)
05-02-2011, 07:35 AM
It was a typo. I fixed it. :D

Don't let STEVEBABY catch you! That will add another page to the thread just discoursing about your typo.