PDA

View Full Version : Very tough 24 hours.

bamamick
04-28-2011, 01:42 PM
We keep getting news of people who have been killed in yesterday's storms. My family up that way is fine, but there seem to be a lot of people that I know through connections who are not fine, and at least two of those have been killed. 216 people confirmed dead now across six states, many of them from Alabama. We thought last week was bad, but this was horrific.

For those of you who do that sort of thing, thoughts, prayers, and well-wishes wouldn't hurt.

Thanks,

Mickey Lake

elf
04-28-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you have lost friends and acquaintances in this. My condolences to you and their families.

Flying Orca
04-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Well-wishes and good thoughts are certainly with you and everyone else affected.

cs
04-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Condolences Micky.

We've been hit pretty hard here also. So far the TN death toll is at 33 with 9 here in my county. Alabama was hit worse, but we caught quite a bit ouselves.

Luckly we, my family and friends, came out okay. I talked with a buddy of mine in Bradly County. He was telling me that pretty much his whole neighborhood took a big hit, but luckly his house was spared.

Chad

Shang
04-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Well wishes to all of you. Hope for your safety.

Paul Pless
04-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Damn Mickey, my condolences. Looks like a very tough day indeed for my home state.

John Meachen
04-28-2011, 04:06 PM
My condolences to those in the Southern States who have been affected by the exceptionally rough weather.

bamamick
04-28-2011, 04:12 PM
191 confirmed dead in Alabama as of now.

Mickey Lake

Duncan Gibbs
04-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Damn! How awful! My thoughts are with you all over there right now... Take care Mickey! :(

ishmael
04-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Prayers sent, Mick. For the dead, and for those left behind.

We don't realize the devastation. You folks are in my prayers every day.

htom
04-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Prayers said, Micky. My condolences and sympathy to all of those who've lost someone there, and I suspect that will be most of us after all of the losses are in.

RichKrough
04-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Sorry for your loss Mickey, I just found out some relatives in North Ga lost their house but they are all ok.

Phillip Allen
04-28-2011, 04:42 PM
hang in there and luck to all your neighbors and friends

WX
04-28-2011, 04:45 PM
This is tragic news, there's some video footage here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13217726

ChaseKenyon
04-28-2011, 04:47 PM
As my Uku would say,

Smoke and prayers for all go up from this lodge.

Enisi Waya

Memphis Mike
04-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Prayers Mickey. We lucked out here in Memphis. I'm sorry you guys got hit so hard.

John B
04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Thinking of you Mickey, and you other guys ..Chad, Mike.

McMike
04-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Sorry to hear about it. Best wishes.

PeterSibley
04-28-2011, 05:43 PM
All our sympathy and thoughts , we've been watching on the TV news , it's quite terrifying .

J. Dillon
04-28-2011, 06:30 PM
My sympathies as well Mickey. Hope and prayer from CT and the fortitude to stand up well in the face of any more tragedies to come during this terrible time.

JD

bamamick
04-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Just to be clear, nothing at all has happened to me or my immediate family. I know people who lost people, and I think that everyone in the state knows someone who have lost quite a bit. Tuscaloosa alone has over 35 confirmed dead, and the fire and police departments admit that that number will probably climb quite a bit. I just don't want folks to worry about me personally because I am fine. It's the people of my state who need your prayers. I am just another one praying.

Mickey Lake

ishmael
04-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Glad you and your loved ones are OK.

The Bigfella
04-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Micky, you and the others affected by this have our sympathies and best wishes.

Harry Miller
04-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Mickey I was worrying about you. I'm glad you and your family are OK and I'm sad for all those who aren't.

seanz
04-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Good thoughts from the South Island Mickey.

The inter-connectedness of a community is amazing, really. Took us quite some time to find out if everybody we know here was 'OK'. They were. Those friends of yours are lucky that you're still around to help them.

On a slightly related note......I'm sure the American 'can-do' attitude will come to the fore during the rebuild. If you have any can-do to spare, could you send a little down here?

Thanks.
:)

C. Ross
04-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Mickey - Prayers for anyone affected by the terrible storms. Pictures and video look awful....

Lew Barrett
04-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Thinking of you and my own in Tennessee.

skipper68
04-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I am sending prayers there. My worst nightmares couldn't compare to the devastation there. Lets all pray that the country will jump in, and let them know peace.It really is beyond my comprehension... tears.

Chip-skiff
04-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Sorry for all the loss, suffering, and destruction.

We have crazy winds here, but nothing like that.

Curtism
04-29-2011, 02:50 AM
A few years ago I helped a friend sift through the rubble for personal belongings following a tornado. Even though the storm was small (by comparison to these recent ones) the devastation of anything in it's path was thorough and looking at photos of the storms in the south brought those memories back. Even after seeing that first hand, and seeing what it did to the small community here, it's hard to imagine the long term impact on those who survived this latest outbreak.

I'm glad you and yours are alright Mickey and of course my thoughts are with those who were less fortunate.

Have we heard from our new(er) member, Geno? I recall he was in Alabama in one of the college towns. It seemed like he mentioned Tuscaloosa at one point but I'm not certain.

AussieBarney
04-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Micky, you and the others affected by this have our sympathies and best wishes.

+1.

varadero
04-29-2011, 05:02 AM
Have we heard from our new(er) member, Geno? I recall he was in Alabama in one of the college towns. It seemed like he mentioned Tuscaloosa at one point but I'm not certain.

I remember somthing about houses and Springville AL, and he moved aboard the boat to avoid travelling time to the university, which I guess is where some of that video was shot from! :(

Calling Geno, are you there?

Paul Pless
04-29-2011, 05:30 AM
The University of Alabama Campus was completely spared!

RFNK
04-29-2011, 05:57 AM
Every time we've had fires, storms or floods here in the land of Oz we've had lots of well wishing from our US friends. So now it's our turn. It's dreadful to hear of such widespread loss of life over there. We're thinking of you and can only hope that the storms cease as soon as possible and that there will be no more lives lost. We wish you well at this time and offer our condolences to all who have lost friends and family.
Rick

bamamick
04-29-2011, 07:01 AM
Tha campus itself was spared, but a lot of student housing off-campus wasn't. Two University students confrimed dead so far. The photos and videos are unbelieveable. I am supposed to be up there next Sunday but I don't know if I want to go now. I may go with some boots and gloves and hand tools, though.

Mickey Lake

willmarsh3
04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Condolences to the University of Alabama students and their families and everyone else affected. Thankfully everyone I know is ok. Just no power and in some cases lots of trees lost.

Paul Pless
04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Thankfully everyone I know is ok.Been wondering about you. Glad to see you back on line.

htom
04-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Scott confusingly wrote ... Hope to have repairs done for TVA to flip switch - still 5-6 days.... I'm not sure if he meant that long for all of Huntsville, or for the reconnect to begin then, or Brown's Ferry to restart. Cell phone service is poor. The youngsters have been moved to friends about an hour west, where there's power, for the duration.

Side note: NASA Museum and Redstone Military Facility not damaged.

Robbie 2
04-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Take care of yourselves there.............God Bless.

seanz
04-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Tha campus itself was spared, but a lot of student housing off-campus wasn't. Two University students confrimed dead so far. The photos and videos are unbelieveable. I am supposed to be up there next Sunday but I don't know if I want to go now. I may go with some boots and gloves and hand tools, though.

Mickey Lake

This was an initiative by a student at Canterbury University after the September earthquake....and then again after the February quake...

http://www.facebook.com/StudentVolunteerArmy

They did good work and I think they're now in Japan.

WX
04-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Cyclones are bad enough but you tend to have a few days warning to prepare tornadoes seem to manifest almost anyway with hardly any warning. Not a lot seems to be able to withstand the forces they deliver. Anyone in their path certainly has my thoughts and very best wishes for their safety.

WX
04-29-2011, 07:02 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13235808

Speaking in Tuscaloosa, Mr Obama said Washington would do everything possible to help communities rebuild.
At least 318 people died, most of them in Alabama, as tornadoes ripped through a swathe of states.
Widespread devastation has also been reported in Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia and Virginia.
A state of emergency has been declared in seven states, and federal aid money is being sent to Alabama.

The US National Weather Service (NWS) has reports of nearly 300 tornadoes since the storms began a week ago, more than 150 of them on Wednesday alone.
"These were the most intense super-cell thunderstorms that I think anybody who was out there forecasting has ever seen," Greg Carbin of the NWS Storm Prediction Center in Oklahoma told the Associated Press news agency.
The NWS also said one tornado in Mississippi on Wednesday had wind speeds of 205mph (330 km/h) - the first EF-5 tornado in that state since 1966, the Associated Press news agency reports.

Tristan
04-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Sending Prayers an healing for the folks in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and elsewhere who lost so much as a result of the terrible storms that hit them last week.

Katherine
04-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Micky, I'm sorry for your loss.

We were fortunate. The worst of the storms missed the kennel, the plants, and my southern supplier are wet, but not wiped out.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Very sorry Mickey.... a tragic situation. Prayers sent.

bamamick
04-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Eight students at the University of Alabama now confirmed dead. A friend of mine had his daughter drive in last night and immediately crawl into bed and cry herself to sleep. He thinks that she may be suffering from trauma and will try to get her to talk to a counseler this weekend.

With what has happened recently in Japan and New Zealand, it almost seems as if the world is being punished for some evil we have committed, but I know it's just the world being what it has always been. These are just things that happen and must be endured. We will rebuild as we always have. And one day, the storms will come again. It's just the way it is.

Mickey Lake

htom
04-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Scott say's it's like living in 1800, except they are still managing to keep the water running. Huntsville currently can draw 5MW (megaWatts) of electric power; normal usage is over 900 MW. They had (around 4 this afternoon) ONE of the twenty-seven major power lines to TVA up. The other 26 are down. Some may be repaired by tomorrow; some may take weeks. No natural gas (presumably shut off because of all of those disconnected by the storms appliances.) F2, eF3, and eF4 tornadoes, at least (I forget how many of each; most of them have not been evaluated at all. eFn means "estimated Fn.) "Critical use" and "necessary" are being redefined. Dusk to dawn curfews, three arrested for looting, one shot by homeowner or business owner. He hopes he and his crews can go down to 12 hour shifts tomorrow.

Binnacle Bat
04-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Now and again, things happen to complete strangers, that one wouldn't wish on one's worst enemies. We can only hope that love and perseverance can begin to heal the wounds, and soothe the hearts of all our sisters and brothers in Alabama and thereabouts.

Peace
Allan

willmarsh3
04-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Been wondering about you. Glad to see you back on line.

Thank you Paul.

Huntsville still without power not surprisingly. Someone broke into Mac Resources on University last night and stole all the computers. Now the business owner is camping out there to prevent further looting.

Five Points still has natural gas. I'm able to cook on my stove with a match to light. Yesterday I used a generator that I borrowed from a friend. But then I used up all the gas in it. So for today I cobbled together a crude but effective solar power module using some panels, a charge controller, a battery from the Elver and an inverter. With that I am able to get back online.
Power is returning in spots. Also more gas stations are hooking their pumps to generators. Still I'm going to stay put and let the EMA workers get gas first.

Memphis Mike
04-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Good luck Will.

stevebaby
04-30-2011, 04:49 PM
I've just been watching the reports of the damage and loss of life, and it's horrific. We're no strangers to cyclones in this neck of the woods,but we've never experienced anything like this.
My consolations to all who have suffered loss.

willmarsh3
04-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks MM. I'm coping. Hopefully my neighbors and loved ones are doing as well.