PDA

View Full Version : Why upside down ?

Dr.Pepper
11-20-2000, 09:13 AM
I been wondering why many Designers of sailing wooden boats have a tendency to build them always Upside Down... running later in the ackward problem of having to turn them around.

G. Schollmeier
11-20-2000, 11:28 AM
Dr, P. Two reasons for me. The forms are easier to set up with the open end down. And my neck and back aren't getting any younger.
Gary

Thad
11-20-2000, 11:39 AM
I believe Nat Herreshoff started it all as a production device, believing that the difficulties and time spent planking over your head in various awkward positions was more than compensated for by the short time it took to roll even a large hull if you have the equiptment to do the job. Herreshoff's building procedure was well thought out, as was everything he did, and many people have used his techniques since.

Ian McColgin
11-20-2000, 11:43 AM
Also the saw dust falls out the the bilges . . .

Ross Faneuf
11-20-2000, 12:33 PM
1. You can set up frames/molds very accurately on a strongback, since the wide part is down and forms a base.

2. Strip-planking is a lot easier with gravity on your side; and you are edge-nailing down, not up. If you plane the hull fair, once again it's a lot easier working downhand than uphand.

3. Pretty much ditto for laying on veneer.

4. If you sheath in polyproylene or something like that, it's MUCH easier.

5. Can't address conventional planking as much, no experience.

Anyway, turning a hull over isn't that bad. Mine was 35' long, 3800 pounds, and I did it in one day with a gang of friends to help. And you'll never have a better excuse for a party - assuming you're not too wiped out, that is.

Dr.Pepper
11-21-2000, 09:40 AM
Well it certainly has many advantages. Many tks for all the information thats being provided.

NormMessinger
11-21-2000, 12:10 PM
Yes, epoxy dripping on yer shoes sure beats the stuff falling on yer pate.

--Norm

ishmael
11-21-2000, 01:35 PM
Ditto, ditto, ditto, etc.

It ain't always easier. Many are set up the other way. What kinda boat are you dreaming of? Fine dreams, Ishmael