PDA

View Full Version : Sen. John Ensign (R- Nev.) Resigns

Cuyahoga Chuck
04-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Looks like God's Own Party is down one vote. Sen. John Ensign has resigned rather than face an ethics investigation.
No, I won't go into the details.

hanleyclifford
04-25-2011, 09:53 PM
But since the Governor is a Republican, will he not appoint another to complete the term?

botebum
04-25-2011, 10:00 PM
They're only down one vote till Nevada Gov. Sandoval appoints a new Senator to fill his spot.
The interesting part is that the guy most likely to get tapped to replace him on the Senate Finance Committee is Sen. Johnny Isakson of Georgia. Isakson is the Co-chairman of the Senate Ethics Committee that investigated Ensign and brought him down.
Can you say 'AWKWARD'?:D

Doug

Bobcat
04-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Interesting that he resigned so he would not have to be questioned under oath.

Blowtorch
04-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Interesting that he resigned so he would not have to be questioned under oath.
I really Hate when they do that.

Ian McColgin
04-26-2011, 05:27 AM
He also resigned for the good of the party. The appointee will have the incumbant's edge.

Now, had he been a real conservative, he'd have looked his aide straight in the eye and said, "Get over it dear boy. This is droits of the king."

Concordia 33
04-26-2011, 07:08 AM
I think he did the right thing, but should have done it sooner. Maybe he did it for political reasons, or to avoid testimony, but he should have done it because he dishonored the office. If that isn't the reason he resigned, then shame on him. There was a British politician (I can't remember his name, but maybe someone there from England can remind me) but he had a member of his staff that had done something wrong. The politician resigned because he felt that he was responsible for the actions of his staff - the next day there was a statement in the paper about the politician stating "He proved his merit for the job by resigning"

I'm a big Bill Clinton fan, but I still think he should have resigned. I don't think that what he and Monica did in the Oval Office is befitting the office, and even though this was not directly relating to his competence as a leader, he dishonored the Office of the President and owed the people his resignation. Ironically, if he had, it seems pretty likely that Gore would have been our president instead of Bush 43. I'm not sure I liked Gore or Bush, but I think that Gore would have been the lesser of two evils although he hasn't distinguished himself much in the past 8-10 years.

hanleyclifford
04-26-2011, 07:39 AM
I really Hate when they do that. Actually he "did the right thing" - in another era it would have been done at his desk, with a Lugar.

Joe Dupere
04-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Actually he "did the right thing" - in another era it would have been done at his desk, with a Lugar.

I'm not convinced doing it at his desk with Senator Dick Lugar would have been any better than doing what he did wherever he did it with his staff member. Politically speaking, of course. :D

Joe, FFPoP

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-26-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm a big Bill Clinton fan, but I still think he should have resigned. I don't think that what he and Monica did in the Oval Office is befitting the office, and even though this was not directly relating to his competence as a leader, he dishonored the Office of the President and owed the people his resignation. Ironically, if he had, it seems pretty likely that Gore would have been our president instead of Bush 43. I'm not sure I liked Gore or Bush, but I think that Gore would have been the lesser of two evils although he hasn't distinguished himself much in the past 8-10 years.

Here is another difference between Canada and the USA. Our politicians are human, and for the majority, we don't care about personal life issues. We're more interested in what they do with our tax dollars, not how they personally reflect the so called morality of Canadian society.

pefjr
04-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Old news. We shuned him into resigning. This time it worked. We will mention to him that he is welcome and will fit right in, in Canada. Maybe we can send you some more too, in fact a lot more. How about the Clintons, would you like them too?

perldog007
04-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Actually he "did the right thing" - in another era it would have been done at his desk, with a Lugar.

it's "Luger" (tip o' the hat to Donn.) first reference I saw was from G. Gordon Liddy, "lock him in a room with a Luger to do the graceful thing" or some such. Not sure whether the G-man came up with that or ripped it off from somebody else? Old timers? Anybody know the origin of that line?

perldog007
04-26-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm not convince doing it at his desk with Senator Dick Lugar would have been any better than doing what he did wherever he did it with his staff member. Politically speaking, of course. :D

Joe, FFPoP

Well he might have gotten more slack on that one. Nobody wants to be a homophobe in today's PC world.

hokiefan
04-26-2011, 03:55 PM
They're only down one vote till Nevada Gov. Sandoval appoints a new Senator to fill his spot.
The interesting part is that the guy most likely to get tapped to replace him on the Senate Finance Committee is Sen. Johnny Isakson of Georgia. Isakson is the Co-chairman of the Senate Ethics Committee that investigated Ensign and brought him down.
Can you say 'AWKWARD'?:D

Doug

At some point, I sent Johnny Isakson an email about something. His response was the most twisted corruption of the English language I have read in a long time. Mispelling, words misused, incomplete sentences. No way an aid wrote it. But I can't believe he actually responded either. I figure whoever responded was knocking out the responses while they were knocking back the bourbon late into the evening. I wish I had saved it. It was truly amazing. Showed it to a friend at work, all he could say was, "Unbelievable."

Cheers,

Bobby

ccmanuals
04-26-2011, 04:59 PM
For folks who can actually remember the past it wasn't that long ago that Ensign was being touted as a GOP presidential hopeful.

Chris Coose
04-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Ensign was being touted as a GOP presidential hopeful.

Still is. Besides being a TV celeb, quitting a political job gets a lot of traction with republicans. A lot.

wardd
04-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Still is. Besides being a TV celeb, quitting a political job gets a lot of traction with republicans. A lot.

a victim of the liberals

Chris Coose
04-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Relentlessly hounded so's that these Republican leaders had no other option but to quit. None. What they did to Sarah Palin was just unspeakable. I was amazed she didn't commit suicide as a way out of the box they put her in. Very strong woman to have endured that horrific thrashing she so nobly took.

Canoeyawl
04-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Very strong woman to have endured that horrific thrashing she so nobly took.

She might like a little thrashing now and again.

botebum
04-26-2011, 06:23 PM
She might like a little thrashing now and again.I'm sworn to secrecy about our personal relationship.

Doug