PDA

View Full Version : the republican secret for getting votes

wardd
04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Wisconsin Recall Fight Heats Up As Democrats Complain Of 'Shots For Signatures' Deals

The Wisconsin Democratic Party is planning to file a complaint to the state Government Accountability Board alleging that a Republican signature-gatherer offered alcoholic beverages to a group of women to get them to sign a recall petition against a Democratic state senator.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/21/wisconsin-recall-shots_n_851459.html

Paul Pless
04-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Meanwhile in California, Obama is holding a fund raiser at Sony pictures with lunch plates selling for $35,000.00 a piece.

S.V. Airlie
04-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Well wardd, that ploy should balance all of those dems canvasing for signatures who are, themselves, from states other than WI.

wardd
04-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Meanwhile in California, Obama is holding a fund raiser at Sony pictures with lunch plates selling for $35,000.00 a piece.

at least they are paying for their own booze

S.V. Airlie
04-21-2011, 09:43 AM
where wardd does it say they aren't? Oh may be the beer is donated by President Obama from the distillery at the White House. Citation?

Paul Pless
04-21-2011, 09:51 AM
at least they are paying for their own boozei'm all for free likker

David W Pratt
04-21-2011, 12:15 PM
When I was a kid, bars and liquor stores were closed on election day.

S.V. Airlie
04-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Election day yes.. most are closed.. Fund raisers are fair game...

wardd
04-21-2011, 12:58 PM
seems some don't understand the concept of a fund raiser

at 35,000 a plate the booze isn't free

WI-Tom
04-21-2011, 01:25 PM
that ploy should balance all of those dems canvasing for signatures who are, themselves, from states other than WI.

I'm curious about whether you have any way of backing this assumption up; I think it's mostly bogus, although I suppose a few non-locals have collected recall signatures.

I've spent my last couple of months gathering signatures for Republican recalls. What I have seen is a completely grassroots, local effort--it's coming from teachers and workers who are not even union officers, much less national leadership from other states. My fellow teachers and public workers from my city have provided thousands of recall signatures on our own (we managed to get over 1,000 signatures each weekend alone), and groups of people from around the state are doing the same. The other workers we met while doing so were also local in-state grassroots volunteers.

I have heard rumors of Republicans paying for people to collect recall signatures; no proof of that either, but it seems far more likely. The people really engaged and angry are the Democrats, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Republicans had to pay canvassers.

That "out of state Dems" claim is, as far as I can tell, largely BS that Republicans are presenting as fact. It really is an astoundingly localized, individually driven movement based on people's frustration with legislators' actions. It is a legitimate expression of democracy.

Tom

S.V. Airlie
04-21-2011, 01:31 PM
seems some don't understand the concept of a fund raiser

at 35,000 a plate the booze isn't free I've never been to a fundraiser unless it's $15.00 a plate. May be you have...

BA.Barcolounger
04-21-2011, 01:52 PM

Yeah, so?

What do fundraiser dinners have to do with petition gathering?

that ploy should balance all of those dems canvasing for signatures who are, themselves, from states other than WI. Yeah, so?

Why does it matter who is holding clipboard, as long as the signatures are valid and legally obtained?

S.V. Airlie
04-21-2011, 04:10 PM
So Tom, you think it is entirely more likely that reps are messing with the system but have no proof.
Here is a bit from one of the blogs on collecting WI signatures...

Only Wisconsin residents represented by this Senator can sign this recall petition, but any Wisconsin eligible voter or out of state person can volunteer to collect signatures!