PDA

View Full Version : And for you political types

cs
04-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Here is a reply I got back from my Congressmen during the recent budget crisis. I need to find out more about H.R. 1297.

Dear Robert:

Thank you for contacting my office with your concerns about troop pay in the event of a government shutdown. Your input is appreciated, and it is an honor to represent you in Congress.

With those brave men and women serving in the armed forces already making so many sacrifices, the last thing our military families should be worried about is whether the troops will be paid or not during a government shutdown. To put it quite bluntly, this is completely unacceptable.

For this reason during budget discussions and debate, I voted for H.R. 1363, which would have ensured that our troops got paid, even in the event of a shutdown. Ultimately, Congress prevented a government shutdown by passing H.R. 1473, so the government will be funded through September of 2011 and our troops will continue to receive their pay.

It is critical that our troops get paid, no matter what is happening with our budget. Representative Louie Gohmert recently introduced H.R. 1297, which will pay the armed forces even in the event of a shutdown. It is my hope that this bill will shortly arrive on the House floor, where I will keep you concerns in mind while voting.

Thank you again for your concern about our fighting men and women, and please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Chuck Fleischmann
Member of Congress

Chad

cs
04-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Well I expected at least some sort of response, but it is what it is. At least I got my views out to my Congressmen and he now knows where I stand.

Chad

wardd
04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Well I expected at least some sort of response, but it is what it is. At least I got my views out to my Congressmen and he now knows where I stand.

Chad

wanna bet that was from an aid and your congressman doesn't know you exist except as part of a poll?

cs
04-19-2011, 09:40 AM
It could be, but at least it was out there. They don't know what you think unless you tell them.

Chad

Ian McColgin
04-19-2011, 09:40 AM
You got a perfectly legitimate response. Instead of preventing government shut-down, your guy plans to make it more acceptable by having the military join those branches of government that get paid no matter what.

It's widely believed that the military vote Republican and the Republicans simply don't believe they can keep that loyalty if they shut down the government and the troops are not paid. It's a simple lesson that the Emperor Nero had failed to learn.

Phillip Allen
04-19-2011, 09:41 AM
wanna bet that was from an aid and your congressman doesn't know you exist except as part of a poll?

only on the right side?

S.V. Airlie
04-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Nothing like a form letter from an intern on his staff.........

Ian McColgin
04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
By the way, despite the often blandly amorphous response a letter might get, letters that are not simply check-off form letters really do matter to elected officials. You don't want to be a crank that over-does it, but absolutely let your congresscritter know where you are on the big issues. You may stiffen an oversupple spine for a few cents postage.

cs
04-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Well one thing we do know that somebody ready my e-mail, whether it was a Congressman or an aid, it was read. This reply letter specificly addresses the issues that I raised, so we know my voice was heard.

Chad

TomF
04-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Yep, your voice about your personal pay concern was heard.

What you told him was that one sub-set of civil servants (one you're connected to) deserved to be able to pay their bills more than other sub-sets of civil servants. You told him that it's an acceptable cost of political gamesmanship that lots of other hardworking American patriots could miss mortgage payments and screw up their credit ratings, so long as guys like you are protected.

He heard that message, and responded that he agreed.

Chad, sorry for such a hard-nosed response. I like you, but IMO you need to broaden your field of vision.

cs
04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
but you didn't see the e-mail I sent him. In the e-mail I talked about how this affected everyone in general and yes I did focus more on the military pay, but I also let him know that we (unlike the other civil servants) were still required to come to work even though we were not getting paid, or better yet our pay would be deleyed. I didn't tell him to make an excullsion for military, but rather expressed my views that the budget needed to be passed and not deleyed for misc riders and BS.

Chad

George Jung
04-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Way harsh, TomF!:p What's up with that?

I applaud your attempts to interact with your congresscritter; and yes, odds are you received a form letter, from an aide. Does anyone really expect more? I don't know how many letters from constituents these folk receive, but do you really want them focusing on writing a personal, individual letter to each and every one? (If you do, you're not functioning from a reality base, and as such, should be ignored).

And fwiw - maybe it's an aide-generated form letter - but it's more response than I get. And I'd be surprised if anyone here has received more.

cs
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Even if it is a form letter composed by an aide, at least my thoughts have entered the master data base.

Chad

Phillip Allen
04-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Chad...those guys are broken...you cannot reason with unreasonable people...be satisfied that the bulk of your readers appreciate your original post and do not feel compelled to counter it.

TomF
04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Perhaps I was too harsh, Chad. I apologize. Maybe I didn't read closely enough. The response you posted spoke solely about the military exemption. As you said that you felt your voice had been heard ... I understood it to mean that was the concern you expressed.

I've written countless such responses over the years, on various issues. The guy was assuming that he knew what it would take to buy your vote, and was putting it out there.

The whole "we're closing down government" tactic sickens me, as does making special exemptions for this or that group of civil servants - whether exemptions that they get paid, or exemptions that they're too critical to tell to stay home. The whole meme (not your views Chad, I hasten to add!) is that all but a very few groups of civil servants (who are Patriots and Heroes - firefighters, military, police etc.) are such unproductive and probably unpatriotic swine anyway that nobody oughta notice if they stayed home for some time. Or went out and got real productive jobs, mucking out cow barns maybe instead of trying to administer the laws passed in Washington over the years.

cs
04-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Tom I didn't think you were too harsh, I understood where you were coming from. Granted my first priority is meself and family, but the rest are not far behind. I felt the whole issue was being clouded by a few small differences that really didn't belong in the budget debate and that we (civil servants) would be getting the short end of the stick.

Chad

TomF
04-19-2011, 01:15 PM
... I felt the whole issue was being clouded by a few small differences that really didn't belong in the budget debate and that we (civil servants) would be getting the short end of the stick.

ChadAnd that's the part your representative didn't respond to, of course.

When the prevailing ideology is that government's simply too big ... then closing it down temporarily is really a good thing. It's not a tactic, it's a foretaste of what oughta be. A demonstration that they're really not all that useful.

And there's a hint of sadism involved too: there's little harm in giving the incompetent spendthrifts a good jolt in advance, if you're looking to give many of them pink slips anyhow. Most prolly deserve it, and it will keep the survivors of the eventual purge on their toes.

That's what angers me.

PhaseLockedLoop
04-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Hay, TomF, we need those military people paid up, because our enemies who hate our freedoms are just waiting to swarm in on us, eyeing the motivation of our boys. It doesn't matter to them, or I guess us, if our grandmothers starve for lack of their social security checks (which they don't deserve anyway.) If govenment shuts down, probably all those energy-hogging server farms the NOAA maintains for shipping and boaters will shut down too, and won't that "serve" them right! Little joke there.

But seriously, I agree with you.

cs
04-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I agree that those in the military are the ones that "walk the wall" and that they should continue on. Although I try not to dwell on it because I may be a bit biased. And I do think of all of those that would have effected by a govt shutdown. Luckly we narrowly escaped this one and hopefully we can work together toward a balanced budget.

Chad