PDA

View Full Version : international text messaging

peb
04-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Is there a service that allows mobile-mobile text messaging over the internet for international destinations? I know there are lots that allow computer to mobile, and I suppose with a data phone's browser that would work, but be very awkward (even with an iPhone).

Paul Pless
04-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Verizon, i get texts, phototexts and emails directly from clients in france and sweden, they and I both use verizon.

You could always tweet. . .

Garret
04-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Skype on the iPhone (Android too I think). Text/chat, voice & video. Plus it talks to computers for free & phones for a fee.

BrianW
04-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I text my daughter all the time from Afghanistan (Roshan) to Alaska (AT&T) and her back to me.

peb
04-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I text my daughter all the time from Afghanistan (Roshan) to Alaska (AT&T) and her back to me.

How do you do so cheaply? Thats the questino. I have a 100 msg/month international service from AT&T at $10, but after that its twenty cents a pop. Apparently international texts are even more expensive for my friends in Mexico.

Garret, I will check out the Skype. The voice service to Mexico on ATT is fairly reasonable, $30/month and same minutes as national apply. It effectively adds Mexico to the area of our family plan, and roaming is free in Mexico. I am skeptical about voice/ip from a data phone, if the quality will be there. But for messaging, might work.

Has anyone heard of HeyWire for iPhone and androids? It looks like its what I need. Its just an instant messaging app on your data phone, but it adds a phone number that anyone else can text to, so you can use it for texting to other phones that are not running heywire (don't know if I need that). Thats if I understand it. And I can send a international text to any phone for free (I suppose it sends it over the internet and doesn't deliver it to the mobile network until it reaches the destinatino country).

Garret
04-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Unlimited Skype voice to all of North America (land lines only in Mexico) is $7.99/month. Actually, it is limited to 4,000 min. a month - so not really unlimited....

I use Skype for 90% of my phone calls (from my computer - with a headset). The clarity is great & US & Canada is 2.99/month. Skype to skype calls are free anywhere in the world - even with video. SMS (text) is quite reasonable.

Yeah - I like it ;-)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-07-2011, 01:22 AM
Skype To Go on Blackberry: 0.00037 per 160 character text. Works for me!

ishmael
04-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Not to be too much a wet blanket, but I absolutely hate this. If every minute you are 'connected' when has a person to be alone?

Garret
04-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Not to be too much a wet blanket, but I absolutely hate this. If every minute you are 'connected' when has a person to be alone?

That's easy. Turn off the computer, turn off the phone (or just don't answer). However, modern methods of keeping in touch over long distances are great.

peb
04-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Unlimited Skype voice to all of North America (land lines only in Mexico) is $7.99/month. Actually, it is limited to 4,000 min. a month - so not really unlimited....

I use Skype for 90% of my phone calls (from my computer - with a headset). The clarity is great & US & Canada is 2.99/month. Skype to skype calls are free anywhere in the world - even with video. SMS (text) is quite reasonable.

Yeah - I like it ;-)

Well, if it is to landlines only in Mexico, that doesn't help. And if I understand the website, the skype text messages to mexico cost 32 cents a pop, rather expensive.

Garret
04-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Yeah - doesn't seem to work as well to Mexico as it does in the US & Canada. Sorry if I wasted your time.

peb
04-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Not at all, I appreciate the attempt. It does look like HeyWire is a possible solution, from what I read on their site. But apparently the droid version is a little buggy, the iPhone version works well. It is the one application for data phones which targets free international texting from phone to phone that I can find. I don't think they support pictures and such yet, but that is ok for the time being. If anyone has that application, one either a iPhone (which one of the other parties uses) or a droid (which I use) that would be helpful.

peb
04-07-2011, 10:47 AM

I think that is what my attitude would have been early on with cell phones, and then that is what it was with texting. I don't text much except to the kids and very close friends, but it really does work well. It is extremely easy way to stay in touch, great for quick updates or info you need to just pass on and don't have time to talk, and texting conversations can sometimes be a lot of fun. Finally, there seems to be an almost universal ettiquete about it that makes it very non-intrusive: it seems like everyone excepts the fact that the other guy might be busy, so not sending a response right away is almost always acceptable.

Texting makes one more likely to have "alone time" with your phone on. People don't call you for just little stuff, they just send a quick text message.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Fifteen years ago, I was in the disco of the Shangri-La in Makati, Manila (not somewhere I go every day) and I noticed a girl dancing and at the same time texting on two cellphones, one in each hand...

The Filipinos are, I believe, still the biggest users of text messaging.

peb
04-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Ok, here is another application that looks a better, WhatsApp. It seems more popular, any of you iPhone junkies ever use it?

Paul Pless
04-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I was in the disco of the Shangri-La in Makati, Manilahere's a post i really wasn't expecting;):D:arg