PDA

View Full Version : The Latest: Kloppenburg Ahead -- With All Precincts Reported

wardd
04-06-2011, 01:48 PM
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/04/the-latest-kloppenburg-ahead-with-all-precincts-reported.php?ref=fpblg

All 100 percent of the precincts appear to be counted in the Wisconsin Supreme Court race, which has become a proxy political battle over Republican Gov. Scott Walker's anti-public employee union legislation. And while a recount now appears certain, the very stunning result is that incumbent conservative Justice David Prosser -- who should have been re-elected easily as of just a few weeks ago -- now narrowly trails his liberal-backed challenger, Assistant Attorney General JoAnne Kloppenburg.

The local NBC affiliate in Milwaukee reports that the final precinct has reported: the town of Lake Mills gave Prosser a net pickup of only two votes: Prosser 366, Kloppenburg 364.

Adding those figures to the Associated Press's current spreadsheet (which continues to be corrected and adjusted on a running basis), Kloppenburg leads by 204 votes, out of nearly 1.5 million cast.

WI-Tom
04-06-2011, 02:25 PM
I wonder how much of a yes man to Walker justice Prosser actually would have been. Seems like maybe we won't get the chance to test him on that!BY:D

perldog007
04-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Milwaukee and Dane seem to be making the difference looking at the AP site (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2011/by_county/WI_Supreme_Court_0405.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=POLITICS).

wardd
04-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I wonder how much of a yes man to Walker justice Prosser actually would have been. Seems like maybe we won't get the chance to test him on that!BY:D

i wonder how much of a yes men the us supreme court will be

WI-Tom
04-06-2011, 03:35 PM
wardd,

I don't follow you. How is the national Supreme Court part of this?

Tom

wardd
04-06-2011, 03:39 PM
just illustrating how far they will go to win

that can't go any higher than the state supreme court probably

what affiliations do the other justeses have?

WI-Tom
04-06-2011, 04:18 PM
wardd,

the current court usually (but not always) splits 4-3 in favor of conservative positions. If Kloppenberg keeps her victory after the recounts, it'll shift to a 4-3 in favor of liberal positions. Prosser won't be allowed to judge the election if it goes that far (I hope!), so it could be a 3-3 deadlock and then who knows what would happen.

Or I could be pleasantly surprised, and maybe they'll vote on the merits of the election and not along party lines.

Tom

wardd
04-06-2011, 04:20 PM
wardd,

the current court usually (but not always) splits 4-3 in favor of conservative positions. If Kloppenberg keeps her victory after the recounts, it'll shift to a 4-3 in favor of liberal positions. Prosser won't be allowed to judge the election if it goes that far (I hope!), so it could be a 3-3 deadlock and then who knows what would happen.

Or I could be pleasantly surprised, and maybe they'll vote on the merits of the election and not along party lines.

Tom

the eternal optimist

Todd Bradshaw
04-06-2011, 04:34 PM
MADISON, Wis. -- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said the state Supreme Court race was not a referendum on him.

Walker said Wednesday the election that was too close to call was a choice about two different candidates with different backgrounds. Based on unofficial results, previously unknown JoAnne Kloppenburg led incumbent David Prosser by a razor thin 204 votes.

Kloppenburg supporters tried to tie Prosser to Walker throughout the campaign against Prosser, who is a former Republican speaker of the Assembly.

Walker said for those who believe the election was a referendum, the votes against Prosser were largely focused in the Madison and Milwaukee areas. He said he's not worried that the election results are a bad sign for Republican state senators up for recalls.

Keep dreaming buddy. Walker is such a delightful blend of stupidity and arrogance.

Then there was the little turd found floating in the Republican punchbowl yesterday.

April 5, 2011 |
Republican Gov. Scott Walker has changed course on filling a state job with the 27-year-old son of a veteran lobbyist.

State Assembly Democrats tried Tuesday to get rid of the position in the wake of news that Walker's appointee, Brian Deschane, was making $81,500-a-year in the job overseeing environmental and regulatory matters and dozens of employees despite having no college degree, little management experience and two drunken-driving convictions.

Deschane is the son of Jerry Deschane, a longtime lobbyist for the Madison-based Wisconsin Builders Association. The group's political action committee gave $29,000 to the campaigns of Walker and his running mate, putting it among the top donors.

Are these folks really so dumb that they thought they would get away with that one?

perldog007
04-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Seems to be a difference of opinion over latest returns http://wseusepac.blogspot.com/

Oh my: Prosser now leads in Wisconsin after Winnebago County adds 244 net votes to his total; Update: Prosser loses lead? Update: Prosser to pick up 7,000+ votes due to computer error? Update: “Political bombshell” http://hotair.com/archives/2011/04/07/oh-my-prosser-now-leads-in-wisconsin-after-winnebago-county-adds-244-net-votes-to-total/

Keith Wilson
04-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Too close to tell, really. Recount time.

OTOH, if Walker hadn't overreached in truly Napoleonic style, Prosser would have gotten 90% of the few votes cast.

perldog007
04-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Matthews just reported Kloppenburg ahead.... 1950 EST

Newsradio 620 WTMJ's John Mercure reports, "I have been told that several thousand votes are currently unaccounted for and that the majority of them will end up going to David Prosser."

"We're not talking a couple hundred. We're not even talking a couple thousand. I have been told and confirmed through multiple sources that this is several thousand votes and it will completely and obviously change the dynamic."http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/wisconsin-supreme-court/ 1805 EST

johnw
04-07-2011, 06:53 PM
If frogs had wings....

Wishes would ride? I think that's about the most cryptic thing you've said lately.

perldog007
04-07-2011, 06:56 PM
John, apparently this breaking news didn't make it to Matthews
Waukesha County Clerk Kathy Nickolaus (R) has announced sharply amended totals for her county in the Supreme Court race from Tuesday night -- saying that she had inadvertently failed to properly import and save data into a Microsoft Access database, omitting the numbers from the city of Brookfield and its over 14,000 votes. And as such, according to Nickolaus's new totals, Justice David Prosser has gained a net 7,582 votes -- overcoming the razor-thin lead of liberal-backed challenger JoAnne Kloppenburg, who had already declared victory on Wednesday.

"I'm thankful that this error was caught early in the process and during the canvass," said Nickolaus. "Again, the purpose of the canvass is to catch these types of errors. It's important to stress that this is not a case of extra votes or extra ballots being found. this is human error, which I apologize for - which is common in this process, which is why the state requires us to conduct a canvass. Every person in Waukesha County that voted on April 5th, their votes counted. After the error was discovered in Brookfield, I reviewed all the other votes with our board of canvass, from every municipality. We have now verified all the results, and are confident that they have been properly reported to the Government Accountability Board."

On hand with Nickolaus at the press conference to announce the vote shift were the Republican and Democratic members of the county canvassing board -- including Democrat Ramona Kitzinger, who vouched for Nickholaus's narrative. "Everything that we went over yesterday afternoon and today, it jived up, and we're satisfied that it's correct. And I'm with the Democratic Party, vice-chair of Waukesha County, so i'm not gonna stand here and tell you something that's incorrect."

Nickolaus was asked about reports from Brookfield that she had called city officials on election night, asking them to resend the data.

"On election night, all the people that were to bring in spreadsheets, they were given a spreadsheet template," said Nickolaus. "They were asked not to change that template. When the city of Brookfield results came in on election night, extra columns were put into that spreadsheet, which would have been a problem if I had tried to import that in." Thus, she said she called them and stressed the importance of preserving the template.

"I saved them, but when I imported them into the Access database, I thought that they were saved at that time, and didn't have any real reason to believe they weren't. We used this program for the November election and the February election without any problem. So I thought we could use it again without any problem."

What would she say about accusations of fraud, a reporter asked?

"Well, we sat through an open, transparent meeting for the last day and a half. We sat with people from both sides of the aisle, and went through every tape number by number, and proofed those numbers, then proofed those numbers again. Anyone who saw that canvass could see what we were doing."

Nickolaus was asked when the problem was discovered. "when I was uploading the data from the e-night results to the state system so we could start our canvass at noon, yesterday," said Nickolaus.

If it was found yesterday, a reporter asked, why announce it only today? "We had to verify that. We had to verify those numbers, and that is what we were doing."

(Thanks to the NBC affiliate in Milwaukee for live-streaming the press conference.)
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/04/waukesha-clerk-announces-votes-for-prosser-im-thankful-that-this-error-was-caught-early.php#more

johnw
04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
So, not razor thin, maybe pipe cleaner thin.

perldog007
04-07-2011, 07:01 PM
So, not razor thin, maybe pipe cleaner thin.

There's going to be a court challenge, the latest count will have Prosser ahead by over 7000 votes. ETA - that's just my guess on the court challenge, can't see this one going into the books without a fight - haven't seen anything confirming my guess yet.

perldog007
04-07-2011, 08:15 PM
From ABC News
If the new results hold -- and a Democratic official in the county said they appear to be accurate -- Kloppenburg faces an uphill fight in a recount because the new margin is too large for the state to pick up the costs.http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wisconsin-election-results-david-prosser-ally-governor-scott/story?id=13324581 I don't think funds for the recount are going to be an issue, Unions have to much at stake not to recount. That's my guess, you are welcome to yours. Think Maddow is about to touch on this story.

Maddow is putting a spin on this one. Her guest is a former Democratic state senator, of course she is skipping the Democrat who observed the process and stated that it looks to be genuine. So MSNBC never spins.....hmmmmm As a good friend and colleague recently said,
Some bozo will probably come along to defend this :)

Hot Air
04-07-2011, 08:35 PM
If Prosser wins - as it looks like he will - does that mean this election was still a referendum on Walker? Or was it only going to be a referendum if Prosser lost?

perldog007
04-07-2011, 08:40 PM
If Prosser wins - as it looks like he will - does that mean this election was still a referendum on Walker? Or was it only going to be a referendum if Prosser lost?

Maddow has already started to whip up the troops. Fuhgettabout it! Jackson is probably already on the ground, look for Daly to get in front of a mic talking about fair elections, and so on and so forth. The end of the certification might be only the beginning of this one... propaganda is in action already.

If you're not watching Maddow right now - shame on you! Check the left side of the blogosphere in twenty minutes ;)

Keith Wilson
04-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Keith's very Norman-like hyperbolic "if."Nah, Norman would never have used the word "Napoleonic". :d

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools . . .

johnw
04-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Don't worry Keith, the hyperbolic "if" is perfectly good grammar.

perldog007
04-07-2011, 09:07 PM
You're right. It would have been "utterly Napoleonic."Нет, Товарищ "Breathtakingly Napoleanic". :D

BrianW
04-07-2011, 10:12 PM

:D

Where's Jimmy Carter when ya need him?

I said it once before... I don't think the unions and the democrats are as strong as they feel in Wisconsin. But, I'm far away (said that before too.) ;)

WI-Tom
04-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Well, what do you know? Looks like we might get to test whether Prosser will be a yes man for Walker or not after all. The "human error" story may be true--we've all lost data by forgetting to save before, haven't we? But I'd rest easier if the clerk in question weren't a former Walker employee with a penchant for secrecy and past election problems...

Anyway, to take an unknown candidate and put her within 8,000 votes of the incumbent (whose support groups spend twice as much money) would still be quite an anti-Walker statement from the citizens. And the fat lady hasn't even stepped on stage (much less sung) in all this mess yet, so Kloppenberg may win for all I know. Good night, all.

Tom

Todd Bradshaw
04-07-2011, 10:57 PM
So far, here on the local scene, I'm not hearing anybody cry foul. I think most folks just want to get the recount underway and make sure that we have an accurate count when it's done. As Tom said, Prosser was supposed to be a shoe-in and frankly, though she seems competent enough, I'm not sure I've ever seen a political candidate with less voter-charisma than Kloppenburg. It will certainly show the repugs that they may not be as unreachable as they thought they were. The recall petitions are starting to roll in, so this should start getting interesting soon.

BrianW
04-07-2011, 11:17 PM
What a State! Wisconsin is truly making it's mark on the country. :)

I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it. Interestingly enough, I was following the election results at this site...

http://elections.todaystmj4.com/G8801.htm

At the 97% point, Prosser was ahead. Just as they reached 100%, the lead changed to Kloppenburg. I thought it strange then, that a long running lead would suddenly switch at the last couple percentage points.

Todd Bradshaw
04-08-2011, 03:40 AM
I think I liked it better back when we made our mark on the country with stuff like cheese, good musky fishing and the Packer games. Which reminds me....it's about time to go over to the little observation platform by the zoo and see if any submarines are coming up the creek into Lake Wingra yet.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/muskies%20005.jpg

John Smith
04-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Too close to tell, really. Recount time.

OTOH, if Walker hadn't overreached in truly Napoleonic style, Prosser would have gotten 90% of the few votes cast.

We'll see. The votes that were mistakenly left out put the incumbant enough ahead to not have an automatic recound. Given that this woman, the one who admits to making this mistake, has a questionalbe past, election running wise, this may get quite interesting.

perldog007
04-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Hmmmmm... something really stinks about this. I had no problem thinking that a minor counting error had missed votes for Prosser... but the HuffPo follow-up raises more than a few questions:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/07/david-prosser-wisconsin-supreme-court_n_846431.html

WOW! Truly Breathtaking!!! I'M PSYCHIC (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?129326-The-Latest-Kloppenburg-Ahead-With-All-Precincts-Reported&p=2949338#post2949338)!! There is one small piece of information that didn't make it into Maddow's report, Huff Post, the part about the democrat official in the country who observed the canvass and said it looks accurate. This is most extremely shocked face ever. Lay in popcorn, we're about to see a show. Cue Daley.... 'murica needs another lecture on fair elections ;)

perldog007
04-08-2011, 07:08 AM
We'll see. The votes that were mistakenly left out put the incumbant enough ahead to not have an automatic recound. Given that this woman, the one who admits to making this mistake, has a questionalbe past, election running wise, this may get quite interesting. It is if MSNBC, Huff Post, so on and so forth are you're only news sources. ABC at least mentioned that a democratic official was included in the press conference with the "questionable woman" and said the result appears to be accurate. You didn't hear that from Maddow, I know because I watched her highly selective coverage. Free your mind, the rest will follow :D Or not, it's your right to be biased and uninformed if you so choose.

Garret
04-08-2011, 07:22 AM
WOW! Truly Breathtaking!!! I'M PSYCHIC (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?129326-The-Latest-Kloppenburg-Ahead-With-All-Precincts-Reported&p=2949338#post2949338)!! There is one small piece of information that didn't make it into Maddow's report, Huff Post, the part about the democrat official in the country who observed the canvass and said it looks accurate. This is most extremely shocked face ever. Lay in popcorn, we're about to see a show. Cue Daley.... 'murica needs another lecture on fair elections ;)

Huff Post has that. As an update - down towards the bottom:

UPDATE: 10:54 p.m. -- Also at the press conference, Ramona Kitzinger, a Democratic member of the county board of canvass, agreed with Nickolaus and said they "went over everything and made sure that all the numbers jived up, and they did."
"I'm the Democratic vice chair of Waukesha County (http://elections.wispolitics.com/2011/04/waukesha-county-clerk-apologizes-for.html), so I'm not going to stand here and tell you something that's not true," Kitzinger said.

perldog007
04-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Gotta give Huff kudos on that update, it was on the wire before Maddow or Huff weighed in but at least Huff Po went beyond agenda to include all the relevant facts from the originating report. I'll be watching Maddow again tonight to see if she does a correction or addendum or whatever. ETA - also have to admit that I didn't even bother to look for it when I read from Norman's link. My bad.

perldog007
04-08-2011, 07:29 AM
How can you stand the excitement and anticipation? Dude, Fox dumped Beck. I have to have a source of crazy lies or I just won't be the same ole perldoggy. Recognize Yo. Better ask somebody.

perldog007
04-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Speaking of Updates from Huff Po
The Huffington Post spoke to Kloppenburg campaign manager Melissa Mulliken, who said that they will be using the national law firm Perkins Coie -- which has an office in Madison, Wis. -- during the recount process. The Kloppenburg campaign had already hired the firm to help them with an amicus brief to defend the state's public financing law.

In terms of specific attorneys, Mulliken cited David Anstaett, who has done some work with the campaign already. She also noted that Marc Elias is at Perkins Coie, and he worked with Al Franken during the 2008 Senate recount battle in Minnesota. FrankenCounted!!!! Prosser can clean out his desk now :D

Rich Jones
04-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Even if she loses, this is a stunning setback for Walker. He thought that he had the whole state in the palm of his hand and could railrord through any legislation he wanted. A woman who was supposed to get absolutely trounced comes within a hair of being elected. All because of Walker's arrogance. Now, he and any other Republican wanting re-election is now facing a hostile public fired up by the unions. Hell hath no fury like a union scorned.

S.V. Airlie
04-08-2011, 10:31 AM
I had no problem thinking that a minor counting error had missed votes for Prosser..
Norman this is one of your quotes..Can you explain what you meant? Does this mean that its okay if a rep has a minor issue with missed votes and you have no issue,but on the opposite side it would be a major issue if votes were missed by a democrat.

S.V. Airlie
04-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Your reading comprehension isn't getting any better. I meant that I had no problem believing that the sudden shift was a minor, innocent error.

Until I read the backstory. Then your writing abilities/skills need to be adjustment.. You should have written this initially in the original post Norman... Be direct with an answer or a statement. As you are an Independent who leans left 99%of the time, and pushed the dem agenda as often as possible, regardless, it an obvious assumption.One reading this post would think that your first quote is what you think/feel...

S.V. Airlie
04-08-2011, 10:49 AM
If you had used the term innocent..I would have understood completely. Your failure to do so changed the entire context of your post. Like it lump it...Norman... By the way Norm, I have been here long enough for even you to know how to spell my name..Have a comprehension problem?

wardd
04-08-2011, 10:54 AM
If you had used the term innocent..I would have understood completely. Your failure to do so changed the entire intent of your post. Like it lump it...Norman...

maybe he doesn't care if you understand or not

perldog007
04-08-2011, 10:58 AM
maybe he doesn't care if you understand or not If that was true he wouldn't argue about it. All the initial wire reports at least referenced the Democratic official who said it looked accurate to her regarding the 7000+ vote windfall for Walker. What the hell does she know? It's only her job, right? Maddow ( who skipped that piece of the story ) has questions dammit!!!! Frankencount to follow.

S.V. Airlie
04-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Probably not wardd..He can't turn me into just another sheep...and knows better not to even try. He wants followers not leaders.

wardd
04-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Probalby not wardd..He can turn me into just another sheep...and knows better not to even try. He wants followers not leaders.

translation, please

BrianW
04-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Even if she loses, this is a stunning setback for Walker.

Whatever gets you through your day. :)

David G
04-08-2011, 11:20 AM
http://forum.woodenboat.images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Richard Jones http://forum.woodenboat.images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.showthread.php?p=2949747#post2949 747)

I think that's overstating your case. But I do think it's fair to say it's a wake-up call. A shot across the bow. The fact that this lumpish, under-funded, also-ran made up so much ground in so short a time is - I agree - remarkable.

Hubris amongst politicians is not uncommon. We certainly seem to be witnessing such a drama here.

perldog007
04-08-2011, 12:26 PM
It ain't over until the screaming stops, and it's just getting started :D

wardd
04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Richard Jones http://forum.woodenboat.images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.showthread.php?p=2949747#post2949 747)

I think that's overstating your case. But I do think it's fair to say it's a wake-up call. A shot across the bow. The fact that this lumpish also-ran made up so much ground in so short a time is - I agree - remarkable.

Hubris amongst politicians is not uncommon. We certainly seem to be witnessing such a drama here.

she didn't make up ground

ground was taken away from prosser by the people

perldog007
04-08-2011, 12:42 PM
she didn't make up ground

ground was taken away from prosser by the people Well not yet it hasn't, the FrankenCount legal team hasn't gotten really into it yet. Stand by.

Cuyahoga Chuck
04-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Whatever gets you through your day. :)

Walker doesn't have much to worry about at the moment. In Wiscosin an office holder gets to serve one full year before recall petitons can be submitted.

johnw
04-08-2011, 02:31 PM
It ain't over until the screaming stops, and it's just getting started :D
I know a guy who made his name in match racing who maintains that "it ain't over until the start." That's pretty much how this race was supposed to go, with Prosser having the advantage of incumbency and better financial backing. So I can't say I'm surprised by the fact that he's now in the lead.

perldog007
04-08-2011, 02:34 PM
The election is over and the official results are coming in, that doesn't mean it's over. There will be no automatic recount if the numbers stand, but doesn't the loser have a right to pay for another count? There are already "serious questions" in the blogosphere.

John Smith
04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
If that was true he wouldn't argue about it. All the initial wire reports at least referenced the Democratic official who said it looked accurate to her regarding the 7000+ vote windfall for Walker. What the hell does she know? It's only her job, right? Maddow ( who skipped that piece of the story ) has questions dammit!!!! Frankencount to follow.

You may be surprised. Maddow may well make a correction tonight. We'll see. She's corrected other things, why not this?

perldog007
04-08-2011, 03:10 PM
You may be surprised. Maddow may well make a correction tonight. We'll see. She's corrected other things, why not this?

I hope she does, but I saw two different wire reports before Matthews said Kloppenburg was ahead that both reported the gain and the statements from the Democratic official. Maddow came on air hours after the wire reports and skipped that part of the story completely. Don't really understand how she didn't know about it. Google blackout @ MSNBC? We will know in a few hours.