PDA

View Full Version : Human Milk From Cows

Dutch
04-06-2011, 07:35 AM
It seems there is no end in sight for the frankensteinish buffoonery afoot in the scientific world - Will they look good in a bikini?

Scientists have created genetically modified cattle that produce "human" milk in a bid to make cows' milk more nutritious.

The scientists have successfully introduced human genes into 300 dairy cows to produce milk with the same properties as human breast milk.

Human milk contains high quantities of key nutrients that can help to boost the immune system of babies and reduce the risk of infections.

The scientists behind the research believe milk from herds of genetically modified cows could provide an alternative to human breast milk and formula milk for babies, which is often criticised as being an inferior substitute.

They hope genetically modified dairy products from herds of similar cows could be sold in supermarkets. The research has the backing of a major biotechnology company.

The work is likely to inflame opposition to GM foods. Critics of the technology and animal welfare groups reacted angrily to the research, questioning the safety of milk from genetically modified animals and its effect on the cattle's health.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agriculture/geneticmodification/8423536/Genetically-modified-cows-produce-human-milk.html

wizbang 13
04-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Last line.... "effect on the cattle's health". heh heh

S.V. Airlie
04-06-2011, 07:54 AM
a bikini with two bras?

JayInOz
04-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Babies need breast milk. A lot of women have trouble breast feeding babies for various reasons. A lot of women don't want to breast feed. And in the local medical clinic where I live there's a poster on the wall giving a long list of reasons why infants shouldn't be given cows milk. So maybe this is a good idea. What I did find disturbing however was an article in a magazine last week about an enterprise in England where about fifteen women are paid for their breast milk which is made into ridiculously expensive cheese, and they can't keep up with demand. Blech!!!! JayInOz

Dutch
04-06-2011, 09:07 AM
So it is mankinds right to do anything he wishes with sentient creatures as long as it is of benefit to mankind?

even if the only benefit is for women who are to busy or feel they are too important to lactate for their kids?

Y Bar Ranch
04-06-2011, 11:41 AM
So it is mankinds right to do anything he wishes with sentient creatures as long as it is of benefit to mankind?

even if the only benefit is for women who are to busy or feel they are too important to lactate for their kids?

Yes

Dutch
04-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes

where does this right come from?

Bobby of Tulsa
04-06-2011, 02:34 PM

The bible, It says We have dominion over all animals. You ask, so I am just giving you an answer.

Y Bar Ranch
04-06-2011, 03:00 PM

It just is

Dutch
04-06-2011, 04:05 PM
hmmm.

I dont agree with Bobby, but he at least has a basis for his moral code - at least his interpretation of the bible

What is the basis of your moral code Y Bar? Is it might makes right?

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
04-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Universal law. Article 3, section 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaFZTAOb7IE

Bobby of Tulsa
04-06-2011, 04:13 PM
hmmm.

I dont agree with Bobby, but he at least has a basis for his moral code - at least his interpretation of the bible

That would be the King James Interpretation, not mine. I want to get my human milk from humans, Girls only.:)

JimD
04-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Researchers say that within five years we will have human cows from pigs.

Bobby of Tulsa
04-06-2011, 04:31 PM

Are you sure thats not already here????

JimD
04-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Are you sure thats not already here????
For crying out loud, Bobby of T, can't we have at least one thread that isn't about taking pokes at the Republicans?

Bobby of Tulsa
04-06-2011, 04:51 PM
:):)

Y Bar Ranch
04-08-2011, 07:56 AM
hmmm.

I don't know exactly, but I am completely unconflicted about the idea of manipulating cow genes so that their milk is more valuable. Since cows have been domesticated we have had a symbiotic relationship with them, and a happy dairy cow is a productive dairy cow. I think it is a beautiful thing.

wizbang 13
04-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Let's put cow genes in our womens!!

Y Bar Ranch
04-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Which reminds me of a joke...

One day, while a squirrel was sitting in his tree, he saw a rabbit hopping towards him down the path, and as he came, he was repeating, "I'm a pig, I'm a pig, I'm a pig."

So the squirrel decided to go down and see what the heck was going on with this rabbit. So he went to the bottom of the tree and when the rabbit came near, he stepped out and stopped him.

"What's going on?" he asked. "You're not a pig, you're a rabbit. See, you got long ears, a little button nose and a fluffy cotton tail."

The rabbit looked at the squirrel for a second before he grabbed him and (...multiple shocking acts of sexual degradation deleted....) and then continued down the trail repeating, "I'm a pig, I'm a pig, I'm a pig."

Shang
04-08-2011, 09:19 AM
“Only 40% of people in the U.S. know that some of the foods they are buying and eating are genetically modified (GM), according to a new survey conducted by the International Food Information Council (IFIC), an industry group funded by food, beverage and agricultural industries. Additionally nearly 1 out of 4 people incorrectly believes that such foods are not being sold in the United States.”

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/genetically-engineered-foods.htm

By the way, there is no requirement for labeling genetically modified foods sold in the U.S.

wizbang 13
04-08-2011, 10:46 AM
"SOME??!!!!"
HFCS is from modifricated corn!

Shang
04-08-2011, 02:04 PM
"SOME??!!!!"
HFCS is from modifricated corn!

Right. High-Fructose Corn Syrup is in an ingredient in practically every prepared food you can think of from soup to catchup. And a constantly increasing percentage of HFCS comes from Monsanto's genetically modified corn. This GM corn has been linked to organ damage in lab animals.

An interesting aside:
"A Princeton University research team has demonstrated that all sweeteners are not equal when it comes to weight gain: Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same."

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/