PDA

View Full Version : Coors Light

botebum
04-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Coors is brewed in Golden, Colorado.
OK- I'll get back to that.

Kito was a huge loss for us and finances/job situation/etc. kept me from getting another dog right away.

Scooter has been after me to get a kitten. Unless it's going to grow into a big, mean, loves to kill things cat like the cool cats I've always had ... I'm not interested. I'm kind of a dog guy unless the cat is a monster.

I spent a lot of time thinking about it and decided that since it's hard to find a Bengal or part Bengal cat in these parts, I needed a big lovable dog.

This forum got me thinking about rescue dogs and the benefits of going that route but I really needed a puppy. My reasoning was that I'm not willing to take chances with a grown dog and a small(Scooter is a tiny kid) 5 year old. So I started looking.

The severe storms here today put me out of work so (once again) I did some searching.

Columbus County Shelter had two "retriever" pups so I gave them a call.
"We think they're Goldens and you can see pics here -web addy-. They can't be adopted till 3:45 but if you want one you should get here early."
"2 oclock?"
"You'll be too late."
"Noon?"
"Well ... good luck."

I got there when the doors opened to the public at 10:30 this morning. Book, reading glasses and bottled water in hand to find out how hard the chairs were.
The pups were adorable. The chairs were soft and comfy. I signed on as the first person on the waiting list and settled into my book.

I checked in on the two boys as the day dragged on and everytime I looked they were slam up against each other whether they were playing or sleeping.

Did I fail to mention that I bought a 1$ scratch off ticket on the way to the shelter and won $100? Well I did.

As I continued to check in on the pups and whittle away at William Least Heat-Moon's River Horse, people were calling and stopping by about the two pups. No one seemed to want to come in or stick around for the chance at the remaining little guy.

Having a hundred extra bucks in my pocket, I told the girl that I'd take both dogs. I figured, 'Free money now, worry about the consequences later."

At 2:30 a guy came in with his 3 or 4 year old son and asked about the pups. The girl told him that I was taking them both. Dad said "Oh." They looked at me and walked out.

The girl said that they'd been in and seen the pups the day before but because they weren't available yet, said they might be back.

He was a pretty cute little kid. He looked like he could use a good dog.

I went out to the kennels and saw that they'd gone straight to the cage that my pups were in.(At this point they were my pups if I could hold out for another hour or so).

The kid was just standing there looking into the cage.

I walked up to him and asked "You really want one of those puppies, huh?"
He just looked at me and nodded.
"Would you take really good care of him?"
"Uh huh". The kid was gonna' friggen cry.
"Shake my hand and promise you'll take good care of him and you can have the one you want."

He just looked at me as I stuck out my hand.
"Shake the man's hand, son."

I went back into the office.
"I knew you were gonna' do that." the girl said.

"Yeah, me too."

On the way home with my new dog I decided to stop and cash in my lottery ticket.
"It's not a winner."
"Yes, it is."
"No, it's not. Look here."
This time I had my reading glasses with me so I looked again.
"Damn, Glad I didn't get two dogs."
"Huh?"
"Never mind."

Tiller, to be by my side through all weather and help guide me as I travel on my way-
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Tiller/003.jpg

So, back to the original question- Can I expect Tiller to fetch me a beer from the fridge. He is a Golden Retriever after all.

Doug

Paul Girouard
04-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Sure you just need to teach him how to open the frig door. Nice lookin pup, keep him off the road! Nice job with the other one and the kid.

perldog007
04-05-2011, 08:49 PM
You done real good. I fell for the homeless cat routine. Got an exhaustive lesson from my "free cat" this morning on how to play cat hockey with a dead mouse..... You did the right thing all around.

SMARTINSEN
04-05-2011, 08:50 PM
AWWWW.........what a cute little pup, and what a good story, Doug. One little boy and one little girl are going to be happy tonight, and the world is just a bit better.

Now about your taste in beer......

botebum
04-05-2011, 08:58 PM
"one little girl" won't know for a week or so unless her mother follows this forum and blows it for her.
Hopefully by then I'll get the stink out of this dog. Urine and a faint whiff of skunk. One bath didn't do it and too many baths ain't good for a puppy.

Doug

Paul Pless
04-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Does Coors Light really count as beer? I mean Katherine won't even drink it. . .

Nice looking pup, I like goldens with dark points (eyes, nose, tips of ears and tail). And good job with the other pup!

Garret
04-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Great story & great looking pup.

Nice

botebum
04-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Does Coors Light really count as beer? You like the "nice" botebum, right?

Doug

Paul Pless
04-05-2011, 09:26 PM
You like the "nice" botebum, right?

Dougyes but. . . i'm getting used to the horrid little man;)

BrianW
04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
You are an ol'softy Doug. :)

cathouse willy
04-05-2011, 09:35 PM
If Coors lite will get the stink out of a dog then it is good for something.Nice looking pup Goldens are Nice dogs, the best kind.If you raise him right he'll be your family's best friend.

botebum
04-05-2011, 09:52 PM
You are an ol'softy Doug. :)Yeah, don't tell anyone though, huh? I'm trying to make my rep as a total dick.

Doug

David G
04-05-2011, 10:07 PM
For the skunkstink... give him a thorough tomato juice rinse (cheapest stuff you can find is just fine) before his next bath.

Congrats on the pup. He certainly looks like a keeper.

coelacanth2
04-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Coors Light? Sex in a canoe, man. At least go for some Budwiser

Vince Brennan
04-05-2011, 10:38 PM
For the skunkstink... give him a thorough tomato juice rinse (cheapest stuff you can find is just fine) before his next bath.

+1 with an exclamation point. First time I heard of this I questioned the advisor's sanity. After trying it on a collie who lost to TWO skunks (don't ask....) I have passed it along to anyone so affected and continue to buy my advisor a rewarding beverage whenever we meet.

It works.

Canoeyawl
04-05-2011, 10:49 PM
My wife and the dog got skunked on the back porch one night. She knew that tomato juice tale and looked in the cupboard (it was midnight) and the only tomato juice in there was Clamato - big mistake

edit to add; We have a Golden rescue pup - Billy, she's about a year and a half now.

B_B
04-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Good luck to you and Scooter! Nice pup, nice daughter, horrid little man. What a trio... ;)

cathouse willy
04-05-2011, 11:44 PM
You gotta know that any dog thread will bring all of us dog lovers out of the wood work. Here's my pack of hounds ,the princess( my dog) and her foster bro. We ain't nothin but hound dogs...
http://www.dualsportbc.com/photogallery/data/780/3012009_07230002-med.JPG
http://www.dualsportbc.com/photogallery/data/780/3012011_04040001-med.JPG

Blowtorch
04-05-2011, 11:59 PM
That is maybe the Cutest dog I have ever seen!

Im between dogs right now but I hope to get another one soon!

Iceboy
04-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Congrats on the dog Doug. I gotta say though, that River Horse book is absolutely boring as all get out. I gave my copy to the local library and they put it right on the free book shelf. Lady at the desk said no one has ever checked out the copy they have.

botebum
04-06-2011, 07:55 AM
It's not exactly a page turner, is it?
The most interesting anecdotes in the book are from the year before when he reconnoitered the trip overland.
The trip itself is described in a tedious manner with some flowery, big words passages littered through.
I'll finish the book but I won't recommend it.

Doug

TomF
04-06-2011, 08:02 AM
If Coors lite will get the stink out of a dog then it is good for something.Guinness would be far better, and the dog's worth it. Great dog, great story. Good on you, Doug.

Taylor Tarvin
04-06-2011, 08:05 AM
That was a nice story to start the day with. Good job all around!

LeeG
04-06-2011, 08:06 AM
good story, there is a place for you in dog heaven.

switters
04-06-2011, 09:05 AM
That was such a good tale and such a good looking puppy this thread doesn't even belong in the bilge.

Good onya,

darroch
04-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Really cute puppy. Nothing like a dog to soften us up a bit - and I'll bet Scooter will be thrilled to pieces.

botebum
04-06-2011, 12:37 PM
No work today so I picked up Scooter early from her "Little School", took her to lunch then brought her home for her surprise.
They hit it off immediately-
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Tiller/TillerandScooter340611.jpg

Played on the slide for a few-
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Tiller/TillerandScooter640611.jpg

Haven't seen them since-
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Tiller/TillerandScooter440611.jpg

Not really. Tiller is crashed out on my foot and Scooter is sorting her books in her room (that's code for 'making a huge mess that Dad will clean up later).

Doug

John Meachen
04-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Definitely a fraudulent horrid little man.Two happy kids and two dogs with new lives ahead of them counts as a pretty good day.

TomF
04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't remember ever seeing a pic of Scooter before, Doug. Looks like a really happy, cute kid.

botebum
04-06-2011, 06:37 PM
I don't remember ever seeing a pic of Scooter before, Doug. Looks like a really happy, cute kid. Really? There's more pics of her on this forum than pics of boats! From the day she was born straight up to today.
Surprised you missed them.

Doug

Robbie 2
04-06-2011, 06:40 PM
You are a nice man Doug...............even though you pretend not be.
Karma is a great thing and you did good today and this will come back too you in spades.
The look on Scooters face is just the 1st instalment of that reward you so richly deserve.
Regards
Robbie

darroch
04-06-2011, 07:56 PM
:Dhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Tiller/TillerandScooter340611.jpg

Paul Pless
04-06-2011, 08:00 PM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Tiller/TillerandScooter440611.jpgclassic