PDA

View Full Version : Meatloaf

David W Pratt
04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Just made a batch of meatloaves. We'll eat a small one tonight for dinner, freeze the rest and give them to neighbors.
Recipe: Dave's kit, ground beef, veal and pork, plus some ground lamb and a tube of Jones breakfast sausage.
Mix meats with beaten eggs with some grated cheddar and reggiano Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce Herbes de Provence.
Saute some onions, add mushrooms, add some beef bouillon, wine, soy sauce, when cool,
add a package (or two) of mixed vegetables,
mix all and put in pans with a cheese plane shaving of butter in the bottom (for small pans) line with a strip of bacon
and fill with mix.
Bake at 350 F, about 45 min.

Comments?

hokiefan
04-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Mine is very simple, but I like it.

1.5 lbs ground beef, one cup Progresso Italian bread crumbs, 2-3 tbs BBQ sauce (Kraft).
Mix up and put in the pan.
Top with 4 strips of bacon.
Bake @ 350 F for 45 minutes.
Sounds really plain-jane, but its quite good. Used to add chopped onions, but the kids don't like them.

Cheers,

Bobby

cathouse willy
04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Take your favorite meatloaf recipe and instead of oven baking cover it with bacon slices and give it 2-3 hours in the smoker at 225 until the int temp is 160-165 Almost any sort of wood will do, I've used alder and hickory with good results.

John B
04-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Not a thread about paradise by the dashboard light then.|;)

Chip-skiff
04-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Sounds good (the edibles rather than the audibles).

We'd not had meatloaf since we got married (going on 11 years) so I made one.

1 lb. Antelope mince (very lean)
1 lb. ground pork
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 - 1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup coarse-grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, etc. to your taste.

Form into a loaf, use a pan large enough so it doesn't touch the sides, and bake uncovered at 350F for about 35 minutes. Cover with foil and rest for five minutes.

If you want to dress it up, you can make a sauce and slather it on halfway through the bake, with some on the side to dress the slices. It was wonderful served plain and made incredible sandwiches.

Breakaway
04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
I like It. Sounds good!

My regular quick and dirty is:
beef-pork-veal ( or sometimes ground turkey)
chopped onion
egg(s)
Italian bread crumbs
Paprika on top
Bacon

Bake at 360 40 mins or so

Kevin

S.V. Airlie
04-05-2011, 06:33 PM
We had Meatloaf at boarding school with an egg running through it. Still can't figure out how the chef did that and I wonder whether I want to know.

dskira
04-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Mix ground beef and pork each the same amount, mix with chopped onions and 2 eggs and olive oil and bread crumb.
Mix vigorously by hand until a paste consistency. Add olive oil as needed.
Put the mix of the above around a sausage like the bratwurst.
Put some olive oil on the bottom of the pan and put on the oven around 300F.
Wait at least half an hour to an hour.
It is quite a meal, you need a strong stomach, but I like it very much.
Daniel

ishmael
04-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Golly, I haven't made or even thought about meat loaf in quite some time. The basics, with some fancy additions, are covered above.

When I was a kid, Mom used to make it maybe twice a month. Ground pork and beef, onion, bread crumbs, eggs, and a small can of tomato paste--ketchup if you didn't have the paste

It was good. It gave off enough fat to make a gravy, and there was always enough of the loaf left over that we made sandwiches for at least a few days afterwards. Good cheap eats.

Thanks for the memories.

L.W. Baxter
04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
I'll have his portion. ^^

Somebody please post a bad meatloaf recipe so I can use this joke I have handy.

ishmael
04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
I confess, I have a hard time imagining a meat loaf with mixed vegetables in it, but hey, I'll try almost anything once.

L.W. Baxter
04-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Okay, I'm going to have to go with the mixed-vegetables-ruin-meatloaf for my canned response:

"I wouuuuld doo a-ny-thing for loaf, but I won't do that, no no, I wooooon't do that."

I had to get that out of my system.

Shang
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I'll have his portion. ^^

Somebody please post a bad meatloaf recipe so I can use this joke I have handy.

Oh phooey, I thought this thread was going to be about "Meatloaf," the slob singer whose temper meltdown on 'Celebrity Apprentice.' has been the subject of much internet traffic lately:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/video/item/meat-loafs-apprentice-meltdown/

...because that would provide me with the opening to tell the story of how I bought Meatloaf's antique lamps right out from under him.
He had seen them in a shop in upstate NY while on tour. He liked them for the new house he was having built. Told the lamp shop guy to hold them for him, but neglected to leave a down-payment.
I happened along a few days later, saw the lamps and offered to pay for them in cash. The lamp shop guy shrugged and sold them to me.
Money talks, credit walks, Meatloaf !
Meltdown over that, slob!

Vince Brennan
04-05-2011, 10:46 PM
My mother once made a meatloaf and put it on the windowsill to cool.

Later, she heard some voices outside and ran into the kitchen to see if all was well, but she was too late:

Someone had put three more beside hers.

ishmael
04-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Meatloaf, the American singer, does sing one of the great ballads of the American psyche. I tried to link to it, but it doesn't work that way.

'I need you, I want you, but there is no way I'm ever going to love you, and two out of three ain't bad."

Yeah, he was a big fat slob, yet he sang that song quite well. Google the full lyrics.

perldog007
04-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Should be about the meltdown, Once heard something about Gary saying that he wanted to have a dog(son?) named Houston so he could say "Watch out Houston!". Have no idea about the singer, but he must have sand to go west on a cat like Busey. At least that's my take.

Back to the O.P. I can go either way - lean choice ground beef, butcher shop pork, veal, maybe a little binder and/or murderlized portabello, some kind of cheese, perhaps some sage from the herb garden that all of us WINNING WARLOCKS have... and sometimes it's 80/20 Con-Agra Chuck from Wally World with a little dollar store bbq sauce, bread crumbs, and velveeta.... bacon strips on top is never a bad thing IMO.

The important points are cooked through, and absolutely repellent as concerns angry vegans and such. That's meatloaf.

perldog007
04-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Meatloaf, the American singer, does sing one of the great ballads of the American psyche. I tried to link to it, but it doesn't work that way.

'I need you, I want you, but there is no way I'm ever going to love you, and two out of three ain't bad."

Yeah, he was a big fat slob, yet he sang that song quite well. Google the full lyrics.

He is still a big fat guy, and he still has pipes. Which brings me to my next point....

anywho - enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgK6dBefpu8

bobbys
04-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Package of elk meat , Onions, Leftover rice, Catch up,, Egg, Splash of vinegary, Brown sugar, salt, pepper, Parsley , Top with Sweet Baby Rays sauce or Catch up with brown sugar.

Serve with mashed Yukon gold potatoes.

Dispense with vegetables .

botebum
04-06-2011, 06:59 AM
My Mom used to mix in some Quaker oats as a binder and a stretcher. I think she learned this when meat prices soared in the early '70's.

My first wife used to wrap the meat around a big slab of mozzarella, cook it till it was bone dry, serve it with nasty lima beans and call it Meatloaf Surprise.
Not all surprises are pleasant ones.

Doug

David W Pratt
04-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Veggies aren't overdone, they go in frozen and the loaf doesn't start to bubble till the end of cooking.

Concordia...41
04-06-2011, 01:46 PM
My Mom used to mix in some Quaker oats as a binder and a stretcher. I think she learned this when meat prices soared in the early '70's.

Doug

Yep. Same thing with my mom and Quaker Oats. Or saltine crackers. Meatballs with rice = porki (porcupine) balls.

perldog007
04-06-2011, 01:51 PM
finely grated carrots are another possible "filler".

TomF
04-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Paradise by the dashboard light?