PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know Japanese textiles

ishmael
04-05-2011, 10:30 AM
I've got what I've always called a smoking jacket, that my father brought back from Japan in the mid-sixties. It's loose fitting black silk, with a seperate silk tie. It's heavily embroidered with nature and temple scenes in a gold colored thread. I can't imagine it's real gold, yet my father traveled extensively to Japan on business, and invariably returned with a nice gift. No labels.

I suppose the thing to do would be to take some photographs and send them to an appraiser. I have no real use for it, and while it's still in excellent condition it has gotten a bit rumpled during my various moves.

Paul Pless
04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
You should wear it to this year's WBS EBS.

Syed
04-05-2011, 10:50 AM
I've got what I've always called a smoking jacket, that my father brought back from Japan in the mid-sixties. It's loose fitting black silk, with a seperate silk tie. It's heavily embroidered with nature and temple scenes in a gold colored thread. I can't imagine it's real gold, yet my father traveled extensively to Japan on business, and invariably returned with a nice gift. No labels.

I suppose the thing to do would be to take some photographs and ....

... post them here.

Dutch
04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
it is common or used to be when I was a younger gent, for sailors and other service members to have semi one off jackets made for them when overseas, particularly when in the orient - in the navy they were most often of the cruise jacket variety but I saw some which couldnt be defined simply as a " cruise jacket"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CNvu_H7UKro/SVbVKS-tg1I/AAAAAAAAAHw/SfJk9qnVW2U/s320/Treo_122708_006-733773.jpg

David W Pratt
04-05-2011, 11:12 AM
You might call/email/whatever Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC, some one there should know.
Or the Asia Society, or the Japanese Embassy.
Good luck.